Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Navigating the MR Library?

So how do you find books in the MR library? I'm talking about just browsing, not looking for a specific book.

I'm new to using it, but it seems pretty unwieldy to me. AFAIK, there are only two ways to dive in: 1) You start at the top (most recent) point in a forum and scroll your way back in time; 2) You search for specific key words and hope you hit paydirt.

It seems to me that the best of both worlds would be to combine the wiki with the library. There could be various directory pages established on the wiki: by author, genre, etcetera. These directory pages could then link to the appropriate forum post.

Of course a simpler version would be to upload directly to the wiki, but I'm assuming that there is some reason that uploading to the forum is better?

On the other hand, I'm also open to thoughts from others on the best way to browse for books.

MLH
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
when the upload section was launched here i don't think anyone realised just how huge it would become. so the current system is not very efficient at this scale, as you've noticed. never fear though ; we are currently examining the best way to redo it to optimise the upload, download and browsing features. it won't happen tomorrow because it's quite an intensive job but we are working on it.

in the meantime don't forget you can also sort by format and by genre, in addition to searching / browsing ; that should help to narrow things down a bit. and maybe other people can add their useful tips as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
What about a calibre server of the books? Surely that would work. I'm thinking that's an excellent way of doing things -- but probably fraught with problems, and why it hasn't been done to date?
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Actually, I simply began at the beginning and then browsed my way through all of the books available, in one evening. I wasn't necessarily looking for a specific boor, or author, I just wanted to see what's there. I ended up downloading 11 books. Now I just have to figure out when I can get to them.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
Actually, I simply began at the beginning and then browsed my way through all of the books available, in one evening.
You tragic OCD completist, you. (I'm just joking because, I actually did the same thing, and now subscribe to the newsfeed to make sure I see everything that's uploaded).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:07 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Sorry if I missed a previous mention of this, but if you go to one of the Index pages.
E.g. for PRC books it's
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128

from there you can download a complete list, for all formats, by clicking on the link in the top right-hand corner.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote