Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 08:33 PM   #76
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I say we just take them all. That puts us out about a year from now but given how well themes have been going to this point that doesn't bother me at all.

If we do want to have a more formal discussion about how the club is going and any possible changes we might choose to just schedule through January (1 full year) with the remaining as "tentative" until that discussion.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM   #77
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks Dazrin, I think you are right about the order. How about:

Naturally Gifted: Prodigies of all kinds

which leaves it open to both human prodigies and those in nature as well.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2018, 09:49 PM   #78
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Was that prodigies? I thought you were going for a Canadian food category, perogies.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:24 PM   #79
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if it's amazing, maybe there's a book about it that would fit!
Old 07-31-2018, 11:31 PM   #80
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I think the orphans right now are Trade Secrets, Courtly Behavior, Open to Interpretation, and (although I said it in jest) I Feel a Breeze (issybird had some good suggestions.)

If Bookworm_Girl still wants to nominate retellings and doesn't have a second choice, I would change to (rolls dice) Trade Secrets to get another one on the list. If not, I still really like retellings so want to make sure it sticks around.
Sure. I haven't had time to think about other ideas and review the old ideas. If you want to pick something else, then I'll take Retellings.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 AM   #81
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Well, if it's amazing, maybe there's a book about it that would fit!
https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb...%2Ck%3Apierogi

Two PAGES of them. And that's not even Canada, where we take our Pierogis _seriously_. Heck, even Australia has a lot...

https://www.amazon.com.au/s/ref=nb_s...ywords=pierogi

Which doesn't even get us into the field of the sausages that one might cook with them, or the mushrooms (linking back to the wildlife theme) that I might also cook with them. (I'm determined to get a food category somehow. )
Old 08-01-2018, 01:03 AM   #82
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

Fungi are absolutely amazing and indispensable in keeping trees alive, and without trees, we would all be in a pretty sorry state.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:23 AM   #83
CRussel
(he/him/his)

No kidding! Really, it's all fecund out there, if we'd just let it be. But the mushroom we eat is just the fruit, after all, so I'm sure it doesn't particularly mind if I fry up a few with my pierogi and kielbasa.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:37 AM   #84
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Quote:
If Bookworm_Girl still wants to nominate retellings and doesn't have a second choice, I would change to (rolls dice) Trade Secrets to get another one on the list. If not, I still really like retellings so want to make sure it sticks around.
Sure. I haven't had time to think about other ideas and review the old ideas. If you want to pick something else, then I'll take Retellings.
That works for me. In that case, I will nominate Trade Secrets: Profitable books.

(Please suggest other tags for that, I'm not sold on this one.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #85
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hmmm, yes, something that hits both trade and secrets would be good, but I'm not firing yet this morning.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #86
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
No kidding! Really, it's all fecund out there, if we'd just let it be. But the mushroom we eat is just the fruit, after all, so I'm sure it doesn't particularly mind if I fry up a few with my pierogi and kielbasa.
What's the Canadian connection to Polish foods like pierogi and kielbasa? And do you put ketchup or mustard on your kielbasa?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #87
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
And I think Dngrsone's needs an exclamation point at the end but doesn't need a tag. If we really want a tag, it could be "having a blast!" which opens up other ideas and still fits the "Just plain fun!" part.
I was thinking of "The Lighter Side" or "Lighten Up" as a tag. Dngrsone, what do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Thanks Dazrin, I think you are right about the order. How about:

Naturally Gifted: Prodigies of all kinds

which leaves it open to both human prodigies and those in nature as well.
I cut out "of all kinds" to make it punchier (as the topics/tags are wide open anyway).

Quote:
That works for me. In that case, I will nominate Trade Secrets: Profitable books.

(Please suggest other tags for that, I'm not sold on this one.)
How about "Transactions"?

A few other suggestions for the orphans; let's hear from the original proposers!
  • Lost in Translation: Other Tongues
  • Into the Labyrinth: Amazing
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 AM   #88
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
What's the Canadian connection to Polish foods like pierogi and kielbasa? And do you put ketchup or mustard on your kielbasa?
Not so much Polish as Ukrainian. The pierogi comes in from the plains, Saskatoon and especially Manitoba, where there are large immigrant populations. The kielbasa could be almost any sausage (or often in hard times none), but my roots in Detroit make kielbasa a basic soul food. I make my own, and it's seriously good, if I do say so myself.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #89
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Not so much Polish as Ukrainian. The pierogi comes in from the plains, Saskatoon and especially Manitoba, where there are large immigrant populations.
(Emphasis mine.)

Charlie, Charlie, how very unCanadian of you! I've had my head handed to me by more than one Canadian friend for saying "plains" instead of "prairies." We have plains; you have prairies.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist twitting you.)
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #90
CRussel
(he/him/his)

You are Soooo right! (I knew it was wrong, but that's what happens when you write stuff before you have your coffee!)