Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #61
mastnacek
Enthusiast
mastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo Mini
I try it for kobo mini and not work. Guys, which firmware i must have to cerate image from kobo? I had 2.6 something, now I return to 2.4 and uprgrade to 2.5.2. When i use steps for Mini and write image to card, i have error. Can somebody upload functional image for kobo Mini? Write to sd is 30 minutes. I try it 5x
mastnacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #62
mastnacek
Enthusiast
mastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-booksmastnacek has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Yes, here's a tutorial I've been working on!

WARNING! Always do backup copies. I don't assume any responsibility in case of lost data or device damage.

The original image is based on a dump of a Touch, so the first 9,5MB of data at the beginning of the sd card (the space that appears as unallocated data in every partition manager) contains the bootloader and hardware information for the Touch.
In order to make it work, some change are needed:

Material:

Linux image for the Kobo (download from the first post).
Internal sdcard image (or the sd itself) from the Kobo Mini (the 'clean' one, with Kobo firmware only).
u-boot binaries. Find them here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=200772
Hex editor with disk or disk image access. I've used HxD for Windows. (on linux dd can be used as well)

First step: identify the right u-boot for the Mini

Kobo Mini model N705 should alway have PCB E50610 and RAMType K4X2G323PC. If you want to check, put the sd card without linux in the Mini and use this command in a telnet session:

Code:

ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 PCB
ntx_hwconfig -s -p /dev/mmcblk0 RAMType

Open the u-boot-2009.08.tar.gz package and extract the file named u-boot_mddr_256-{PCB}-{RAMTYPE}.bin

Second step: Overwrite the u-boot compiled for the Touch with the one for the Mini.

Open the u-boot binary file with HxD (Extra->"Open disk image") and leave the sector size to 512.
Scroll to the beginning of Sector 2 (it means: skip the first two sector, or the first 1024 bytes), place the caret before the first byte of the sector and select from there to the end of file. The last sector should be the Sector 139.
Copy the selected data (Right click->Copy).

Now open the Linux image in the same way as before (use always 512 sector size).
Go to the beginning of Sector 2, place the caret before the first byte of the sector and paste with Right click->Paste (overwrite).

Save the changes.

Third step: Overwrite the hardware configuration information.

In the same way as in step 2, open the 'clean' kobo mini internal sdcard image.

Scroll to Sector 1024. You should be able to read "HW CONFIG" in the first bytes. Select the entire sector and copy it.

Now return (or reopen, if closed) to the Linux image file, scroll to sector 1024 and Paste the data in the same way as in Step 2.

Save again, and you're done!
uboot binaries i use:
u-boot_mddr_256-E50610-K4X2G323PC.bin

Image from kobo i use 2.5.2 firmware

The last sector from uboot binaries isnt 139 but 279. With 279 i have error while write to card. But when i put it to kobo so blink green. When i use 139, kobo not blink. What is right? Copy only 139 or 279? It suck.

Thanks for reply man

Last edited by mastnacek; 09-21-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #63
mastnacek
Enthusiast

Done, now i have it
Tomorrow I upload image for Kobo Mini.

I was made 16GB image for kobo MINI, 7Ziped its 6GB. Want this anybody?

Last edited by mastnacek; 09-21-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #64
cloudsun9
cloudsun9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo MIni
Sample Image

Quote:
Yes please.
cloudsun9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #65
cloudsun9

I have tried following the instructions, but no boot, not even a screen flicker or green or blue light, nothing at all.
I also get various sector counts for the uboot binaries.
Any ideas?
Advert
Old 09-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #66
mastnacek
Enthusiast

The manual is written but not entirely clear. Sectors to be rewritten, not just insert the beginning. So take from one sector 2 and rewrite sector 2 in the second, the whole.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #67
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quick info about firmaware versions

Quote:
Today Oracle has released Java 7.0 Update 40 (normal and embedded version) which now supports perfectly HardFP (two distinct versions for SoftFP or HardFP systems).
So now Oracle's java jvm can be also used on HardFP systems like Ubuntu or Kobo with firmware 2.6.1 or greater.
Thanks for the info!

The linux version installed uder chroot is independent of the Kobo firmware. I mean regardless the firmware version you can install both softfp and hardfp linux distributions and both will run fine. Once you do "chroot" the software will find correct (softfp or hardfp) runtime libraries under its chroot and will run fine. The reason why I installed softfp debian distrubution was the compatibility with mono (not the compatibility with Kobo firmware).

Quote:
Oh, and can I update the Kobo firmware to 2.8.1 or will it damage the whole thing because of the changed mmcblk0p2/3 thing?
But updating Kobo firmware is a different story. You can do it but the current boot menu will stop working as it uses armel phyton and latest Kobo firmware is armhf. You can update it but you have also upgrade python with armhf python (or replace my boot menu with something else like this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220256).

Changing mmcblk0p2->mmcblk0p3 must be done with care, anyway. Alternatively (which is better for future updates) you can move the swap partition one position to the beginning and replace mmcblk0p3->mmcblk0p2 in scripts. It will free you from thinking about this next time. Sorry for that. I've made wrong decision with keeping swap file on the end of the SD card. I thought it is a good idea (when frequent writes to swap file corrupt SD card you can just shrink partitions and still use the same SD card), but it is too much trouble when upgrading firmware and my SD card works didn't broke yet. Anyway, you can reverse partitions order if you want.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #68
cloudsun9

Done it!
I compared the uboot sectors of the debian and kobo mini images and they were already the same, so I left out that bit of the instructions and it worked.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #69
Fabry
Enthusiast
Fabry doesn't litterFabry doesn't litter

Device: AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Thanks for the info!

The linux version installed uder chroot is independent of the Kobo firmware. I mean regardless the firmware version you can install both softfp and hardfp linux distributions and both will run fine. Once you do "chroot" the software will find correct (softfp or hardfp) runtime libraries under its chroot and will run fine. The reason why I installed softfp debian distrubution was the compatibility with mono (not the compatibility with Kobo firmware).
Yes, I am aware of this.
I wanted to say that now java can work directly within latest kobo firmware without anymore need a chroot softfp ambient (or dually now we can try an hardfp chroot ambient, i.e. like archlinuxarm or ubuntu, without lose official java by Oracle).

Last edited by Fabry; 09-25-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Fabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #70
PeterPeterson
PeterPeterson began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastnacek View Post
Done, now i have it

Hi there,

I would be very interested in that image.
PeterPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #71
russellcwarren
russellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of lightrussellcwarren is a glorious beacon of light

Device: kobo mini
Done, now i have it

yes please!!
russellcwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:09 AM   #72
allw
allw began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook (OI), sony PRS-T1, kobo aura HD, kobo mini
Does any one have good tutorial of information on how to create a uboot, a rootfs and put all together so that the kobo boots with it ?

Thanks

PS : what about a small distrib like puppy of such ?
allw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #73
zer0aster
zer0aster began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Yes please. I hope you can get it hosted.
zer0aster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #74
allw
allw began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook (OI), sony PRS-T1, kobo aura HD, kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Is the following one Mini related? Is there a solution, since this is actually a no-go for me (and unfortunately, it happens exactly like this on my Mini too)...

Oh, and can I update the Kobo firmware to 2.8.1 or will it damage the whole thing because of the changed mmcblk0p2/3 thing?
Hello, I did manage to install the image on my mini
But I have this problem, does anyone managed to fix it ?

Beside, It seems that the grey are too light on it (even on nickel) ...any ideas ?

Best regards,
allw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #75
as32
as32 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch, KOBO Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Karnage View Post
i had try to write the img on a dane-elec 8gb class4 and
Win32DiskImager answer
not enough space on disk: 15652864 sectors , availabale: 15523840 sectors
possible to resize before writing ?