Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #136
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
At the time that was written, the answer was no.
Now the answer is "if your lucky".

1) Keep in mind, those directions where written for July 4th, 2016.
A lot can change in the world of electronic consumer items in nearly 2 years.

2) Because if that "Reset (to factory defaults)" was followed immediately (that is, before re-installing the "survival code) with the installation of an Amazon update image -
That order of events is the only way that a jail broken device can have its jail break removed.

3) How can I say "yes" when I don't know what firmware version you where on, and what version you installed after pressing "Reset".
You have been following, so you do know that none of the firmware versions released by Amazon in the past year can be jail broken.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 PM   #137
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Thanks for your clarification.

2 - The reset to factory will only delete the hotfix but the JB will still be there, so will the ability to install the hotfix, if it's installed again while the device is jailbroken it will work as usual but if it's followed by a new firmware install this new firmware won't be jailbroken.

3 - It's not a practical question, I'm just trying to understand the process better. I was curious to know if there was a reason why it would be more difficult to jailbreak later on. Other than version problem (that could be bypassed using the serial) there is nothing special.

Time to use "kindletool extract" to try to understand how the hotfix works. Fascinating job you guys have been doing, congrats!
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2018, 06:47 PM   #138
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
2) Our update_*.bin packages are both signed and model locked.
At the time you joined this forum (2016) the only "hotfix" packages we had, had to be installed with OUR package installer.
It had become that way before you joined.

It was only 13 months after the jail break was released that coplate found a way to package the "hotfix" code so that it could be installed with either Amazon's "update (i.e: "install") menu entry or it could be installed by re-booting the device.

You have to be careful not to think that the way things are today, are the way things have been the entire past 20 months.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 07:11 PM   #139
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Very interesting, thank you very much!

To make things worse when I joined I was focusing on other ereaders: lots of things to catch on, and it's not always easy to find the right threads/posts as everything has been evolving very quickly... That being said this forum is a mine of information, with many great posts and contributors: thank you all!

Last edited by datanoise; 02-28-2018 at 07:22 PM.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 04:55 AM   #140
T1t0
T1t0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 7th Generation
I hope it's OK to revive this thread because it's the way I jailbreaked my Kindle 7 back in July 2016. In the past it was said, that it's OK to do the official updates, because the jailbreak won't be gone, it only has to be newly "activated".

Right now my Kindle is on the official firmware from february 2021. The jailbreak files are still on the Kindle. Is it possible activate the jailbreak newly in an easy way?
T1t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert