Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
javi_alex27
javi_alex27 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Onyx Boox M91s and M90 can open large .chm?

I've been searching for a ereader that supports large CHM and PDF files, and I found that Onyx Boox support those formats, what I don't know and want those who have one tell me if they can open these formats even being large (100-300Mb) files.
javi_alex27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by javi_alex27 View Post
I've been searching for a ereader that supports large CHM and PDF files, and I found that Onyx Boox support those formats, what I don't know and want those who have one tell me if they can open these formats even being large (100-300Mb) files.
It supports large PDF files. (I tested it with a 250 MB PDF file).
I can't test it with a CHM file, because I don't have one in such large size.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM   #3
quickstepgabry
quickstepgabry began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX M91S
I have an ONYX BOOX M91S (no touchscreen).

I have tried some medical eBooks in CHM format and big size.

The majority of them can be opened easily and fast.

The size ranged from 9 Mb to 400 Mb (9-72-170-397 Mb).

Some files with size of about 250 Mb cannot be opened.

I think that this does not depend from size, but from something in creating file or from an eccessive complexity of structure of the eBook.

All PDF files can be opened without problem even if very big (I tryed 130 Mb pure pdf and 270 Mb scanned files).

By
QSG
quickstepgabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
prince72
prince72 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Hi qickstepgabry
I am interesting in of getting an M91S. I dont care about touchscreen or 3G/Wifi
and I think the M91S is the best option.
All my books are technical books in pdf. I would like your opinion for M91S reading pdf books. Right now I have a kindle DXG but somehow I am not that happy. It is very slow
and it's pdf viewer is very basic.
prince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by prince72 View Post
Right now I have a kindle DXG but somehow I am not that happy. It is very slow
and it's pdf viewer is very basic.
What additional features would you expect a PDF viewer to have beyond viewing the PDF?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
What additional features would you expect a PDF viewer to have beyond viewing the PDF?
Hyperlink support. Zoom in and out. Dictionary lookup. Annotation. Search. Those would all be nice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hyperlink support. Zoom in and out. Dictionary lookup. Annotation. Search. Those would all be nice.
That could be taken to imply that the Kindle DX does not have PDF search capability. The Kindle DX does provide PDF search.

It does not support PDF table of contents, which would be hyperlink support, but I think is worth calling out separately, especially because go to TOC is a Kindle menu entry.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, I stand corrected on the search item. My mistake. The other points are valid, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
wilgru
wilgru began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
"" Hyperlink support. Zoom in and out. Dictionary lookup. Annotation. Search. Those would all be nice. ""

For dictionary support, I think it's easier to use a touchscreen, where you just can point at the word. So that would mean you would be better of with the M90.
wilgru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #10
Syncopated
Syncopated began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Let me add that the PDF support on the Kindle is incomplete compared to a typical desktop reader app like Acrobat Reader. For example, the title and author often don't show up properly on the book list, and some images do not render correctly. I have a Kindle DX and it gives me these problems with some of my technical books but not Acrobat Reader on my desktop.

The Kindle has been around for a while and Amazon has had plenty of time to address these issues. I suspect that PDF support is just not one of their priorities given that they are in the business of selling books in their own non-PDF format. So, I'm not holding my breathe for them to improve the PDF support. I think I'm switching to PocketBook or Onyx myself.

Last edited by Syncopated; 09-10-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Syncopated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Syncopated
Syncopated began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopated View Post
Let me add that the PDF support on the Kindle is incomplete compared to a typical desktop reader app like Acrobat Reader. For example, the title and author often don't show up properly on the book list, and some images do not render correctly. I have a Kindle DX and it gives me these problems with some of my technical books but not Acrobat Reader on my desktop.

The Kindle has been around for a while and Amazon has had plenty of time to address these issues. I suspect that PDF support is just not one of their priorities given that they are in the business of selling books in their own non-PDF format. So, I'm not holding my breathe for them to improve the PDF support. I think I'm switching to PocketBook or Onyx myself.
I got an M91S yesterday hoping to replace my Kindle DX. Unfortunately, I found that the M91S has its own share of PDF problems. I mainly read technical PDFs.

I found that for two of my PDF books, the M91S fails to render certain parts properly, but Acrobat Reader, and probably some reader in Linux, render them correctly. In the first document, some program code listing had lines that got bunched up as one line when they should be displayed as separate lines. In the second document, a box with text in it gets rendered without the text. The latter problem is probably worse. If text can turn invisible, how do you know you are not missing anything when you use the device? I only noticed because it's odd to have a big box with nothing in it and I compared the M91S with Acrobat Reader.

Last edited by Syncopated; 09-24-2011 at 11:42 AM.
Syncopated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #12
adrhc
Connoisseur
adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.adrhc can teach chickens to fly.

Device: PcketBook Pro 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncopated View Post
I mainly read technical PDFs.
Could you please tell me if you can see properly the attached pdf - a programming guide ? (go to page 45, it has boxes with code lines).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf spring-framework-reference.pdf (3.19 MB, 1442 views)
adrhc is offline   Reply With Quote