Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
jsfiller
Edge User

Multiple books open at once

Maybe this is already possible, but it would help me a ton to be able to have multiple books open that you can switch easily between.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 AM   #2
janvangastel
Edge User

As far as I have seen, this is not possible. It's in the top three of my wish list. Like the landscape view of the e-reader, this is not just a 'nice to have' but a 'must have' feature. I hoped the 'new' functionality of the switch button had made this possible, but it did'nt.

Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

With the way the Switch button now works, this would be feasible if enTourage wanted to implement it. Certainly easier than popping up the Reader app from the LCD to pick from the Recent list.

However, since the eDGe remembers what page you were on, and at what zoom level, the Recent list is a workable solution, just slightly more inconvenient.

But, if you have more than one book open, you'll have to cycle between them to find the one you want, which will probably get to be a nuisance (especially if you accidently pass the one you wanted and have to cycle through all of them again). You'll probably find the Recent list on the LCD side much faster to jump to the book you want right away, and with the larger Recent List dialog now, you can have 7-10 books at hand.

Last edited by borisb; 09-02-2010 at 11:28 AM.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
jsfiller
Edge User

I think the Recent list would work fine for me, actually, as long as I could clear the recent list when I want to. Of course, having multiple books open would be a simpler and better solution, but I can live with the Recent list, I think. Thanks.

Last edited by jsfiller; 09-04-2010 at 01:23 AM.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

I am able to do this (under somewhat contrived circumstances.)

IF the book is a PDF you can open it with DocsToGo on the LCD side. Then open whatever you want from the Library (or another PDF) on the eReader/eInk side.

Alternatively, if one document is a locally saved HTML file you can use ES File Explorer to open and view it in the local html viewer on the LCD side.

Advert
Old 09-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #6
janvangastel
Edge User

Reading a book on the lcd is only possible under not too bright light conditions. It's only a compromise until mutiple (two would already be very nice) is realised.

Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
jsfiller
Edge User

I would need much more than two books open at once. That wouldn't even begin to accomplish what I need for research. I don't expect it to be infinite, but if it isn't at the very least 5, it's pretty much useless for me, and that would be pushing it.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #8
jsfiller
Edge User

Ok, I might have exaggerated somewhat. But I'll explain what I want to use it for. I want something that will make it far less chaotic for me to research and write papers/articles. When I write an article, I will have at least one primary text open (if I'm comparing multiple philosophers, this could increase), multiple secondary sources (say two), and when I'm dealing with foreign languages, I'll have reference texts open to assist with translation. This can easily run into 5 or more texts open at once. And I'm hoping, one day, when I get an Edge, that I will have a DIY Book Scanner so I can create e-versions of much of my library to assist in this. That's what I hope to be able to use it for.

Now, something that has been done on the Nook Study program (I just downloaded the update for that, and it has some really cool features). Not only can you have multiple books open at once, but you can have a two-page view where one book is on one side of the display and another is on the other side of the display. This two-page view can be used in a variety of ways. You can have one book open to view two pages side by side, and those pages can be consecutive or non-consecutive. They did this so that if you're working problems, you can view the problem on one side and the solution, which might be at the back of the book, on the other. This is WAY cool, allowing me to have two different passages in the same book open side by side, and I don't have to flip between them. You can also have two books open side by side. I can't express how cool I think this feature is, and it would be exceptionally cool on the Edge, and if you could have more than two pages open at one, man...I'm about to explode with excitement! LOL

Old 01-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #9
Topenda
Edge User

+1