Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #61
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
On a lighter note, my nook color already shipped! UPS tracking has it coming in on the 18th. Glad I pre-ordered
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:31 PM   #62
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Mine is not shipped yet. The only e-mail that I got is to be shipped soon.

I went to Best Buy to check out the tablets. The screen display of the Galaxy Tab is fantastic. Other low tier android tablets such as the Pandigital and Literati (? forgot the spelling) are all 800 x460 and are noticeably worse and less responsive compared to iPad and the Galaxy Tab. Since the Nook Color display screen specification is comparable to iPad to Galaxy Tab, I am just hoping it is also fantastic. I can't wait.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 11:36 PM   #63
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
Mine is not shipped yet. The only e-mail that I got is to be shipped soon.

I went to Best Buy to check out the tablets. The screen display of the Galaxy Tab is fantastic. Other low tier android tablets such as the Pandigital and Literati (? forgot the spelling) are all 800 x460 and are noticeably worse and less responsive compared to iPad and the Galaxy Tab. Since the Nook Color display screen specification is comparable to iPad to Galaxy Tab, I am just hoping it is also fantastic. I can't wait.
I was in Verizon today and played around with the galaxy s tab and yeah that screen is gorgous. The nook color has the same resolution and uses LG's high end panal.

I'm very excited about the Nook color
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #64
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I am slowly leaning toward getting a Nook Color once it is in the stores. My one concern besides reading off an LCD: battery life. I travel just about every week of the year and I would hate to run out of juice in the middle of a flight. Then again, when I think about that use case, my longest flights are to Europe (10 hours) and I never read the whole way there. I usually take an overnight and sleep when we take off. I wake up for a few hours once we've crossed the Atlantic and read. Maybe it isn't such an issue.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #65
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
I really don't care if you agree with me or not (although I could do without your nasty response to my post). However, don't attack what I wrote unless you attack the point that I was actually making.
I didnt mean to be nasty and i didnt mean to attack anyone and I dont think i did. I'm just trying to be rational: the point is people are writing good reviews and praises to nook color and nobody has actually held it in their hand. Vividscreen technology or whatever it's called means absolutely nothing.

Quote:
By the way, my point was that I (and others who are posting here) believe that $250 is a great price for such a nice screen, which to me is the most important component on the device (name another $250 tablet with a screen that is as good or better). Also, why are you criticizing people for pre-ordering? We are not stupid, and realize that we can only go by specs now since we can't hold the device yet. And, if I don't like the device after I get it, I'll return it. Unless B&N made up the screen specs, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting. Also, isn't it logical to assume that those who own the original nook and feel that it is high quality device might have faith in B&N's ability to do the same with the nook color?
where am I criticizing people for pre-ordering???? I dont think you're understanding or haven't read what I wrote.

The reason i decided to chime in on this discussion is that a lot of people are giving nook colors reviews about how high end components are there, what a good screen it has while in fact they simple dont know that for sure. nobody here (with exception of few who went to union square store premiere) has even held it in their hand to be able to say that. And now others looking for reviews are looking at those posts thinking 'wow people are really happy with the device' while the fact is people are only hyped up on the device description on b&n site and youtube videos which all look photoshoped. I was hoping to bring balance to the review craze for benefit of people looking for objective reviews. again it may be a great device, but right now nobody can say for sure. b&n didnt even bother to put 10-20 live devices in their stores so people can take a look at it live.
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #66
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
Spec,

First you say there are compatible devices that are cheaper but completely fail to mention any that have the HW specs. Believe it or not the HW specs are available. Then you decide that since the device hasn't shipped we all don't know anything and so your fact-less position is correct by default. You are obviously a troll.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #67
Reeses
Reeses is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
Mine has been shipped too!!! Wooooo hoo!
Reeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:12 PM   #68
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
I didnt mean to be nasty and i didnt mean to attack anyone and I dont think i did. I'm just trying to be rational: the point is people are writing good reviews and praises to nook color and nobody has actually held it in their hand. Vividscreen technology or whatever it's called means absolutely nothing.

where am I criticizing people for pre-ordering???? I dont think you're understanding or haven't read what I wrote.

The reason i decided to chime in on this discussion is that a lot of people are giving nook colors reviews about how high end components are there, what a good screen it has while in fact they simple dont know that for sure. nobody here (with exception of few who went to union square store premiere) has even held it in their hand to be able to say that. And now others looking for reviews are looking at those posts thinking 'wow people are really happy with the device' while the fact is people are only hyped up on the device description on b&n site and youtube videos which all look photoshoped. I was hoping to bring balance to the review craze for benefit of people looking for objective reviews. again it may be a great device, but right now nobody can say for sure. b&n didnt even bother to put 10-20 live devices in their stores so people can take a look at it live.
Ok, it is becoming increasingly apparant that you are trolling.

First, this thread is titled "Nook Color: who bought one." I bought one, so I posted here. You didn't, so why are you posting here other than to criticize those that pre-ordered?

Second, I read through all of the messages on this thread, and I didn't see one single REVIEW for the device. Where are the "lot of people giving reviews?" I see many people talking about the features that led them to pre-order, and what they are looking forward to, but again, what reviews are you reading on this thread?

Third, the "High End Components" comment that has you on such a holy crusade baffles me. The confirmed specs (ironically your board name) for the nook color are:

1) Capacitive, multitouch screen
2) IPS 1024 x 600 LED screen with a pixel density 169ppi
3) TI OMAP 3621 CPU clocked at 800MHz processor
4) 512 mb of RAM

Those are high end components for a $250 device. Look at the Velocity Micro Tablet at $300. It has an 800 x 480, non multi touch screen with a 600MHz MIPS processor. Even the Archos 70 (which seems like a nice device) for $270 has an inferior screen, and I believe only 256 mb of RAM.

In sum, thank you for protecting everyone from the non-existent "review craze" that you fabricated. I read your post, but apparantly you didn't read through this thread very carefully.

***Oh, and the official reviews that came in today all seem quite favorable. And, lo and behold they all admit that it is quite well constructed (high quality components).

Last edited by Noah98; 11-16-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #69
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Ok, it is becoming increasingly apparant that you are trolling.
again I DO NOT criticize those who preordered. you continue stating that but that does not make it true.

the reviews came in just today, before that there were none but people kept stating how great the device was, but did not say they had nothing but b&n website as their source. very misleading for people looking for reviews.

if you think I'm a troll, then you probably know the rule of 'do not feed the troll' so why do you keep responding to my messages? it's a rhetorical question, because I wont respond to any further posts from you, the troll here.

Last edited by spec; 11-16-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #70
ashleydelavane
ashleydelavane began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Nook original, Kindle 3
Quote:
I don't think you actually read my post. The only thing I was comparing was THE SCREEN. And, I don't know what you mean by "and then you go to compare plethora of tablets but nook color is not among them." The plethora of tablets that I listed all have inferior screens to the nook color (and yes, I am going by the specs and the videos of the nook color vs. my experience with the others).

As far as the ipad goes, it is absolutely a better tablet. However, the ipad is $500 and the nook color is $250. Also, the Samsung Galaxy pad is even more expensive than the ipad.

I really don't care if you agree with me or not (although I could do without your nasty response to my post). However, don't attack what I wrote unless you attack the point that I was actually making.

By the way, my point was that I (and others who are posting here) believe that $250 is a great price for such a nice screen, which to me is the most important component on the device (name another $250 tablet with a screen that is as good or better). Also, why are you criticizing people for pre-ordering? We are not stupid, and realize that we can only go by specs now since we can't hold the device yet. And, if I don't like the device after I get it, I'll return it. Unless B&N made up the screen specs, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm getting. Also, isn't it logical to assume that those who own the original nook and feel that it is high quality device might have faith in B&N's ability to do the same with the nook color?
Agreed! $250 would be an amazing price for an iPad identical screen in itself. But it is actually better than the iPad screen 169 ppi to the iPad's 132 ppi. That is almost 30 per cent better resolution. It is lighter than the ipad and a lot more portable. Has an antiglare coating built in. Makes it a perfect backlit eReader and I have actually been lucky enough to play with one for a few minutes. If anyone can find an Android Tablet for a similar price point that has the speed, screen resolution and portability of the Nook Color, 8 hours of battery life under the same conditions, backed by a prestigious company, that stands by their products, with no data plan......well I would be very surprised indeed.....
ashleydelavane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:50 PM   #71
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
Spec,
I refer you to posting guidlines of the forum if you think that I'm a troll: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/faq...ing_guidelines

just like the guidelines tell you to ignore people you think are trolling, i will also not respond to people who call me a troll.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #72
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleydelavane View Post
Agreed! $250 would be an amazing price for an iPad identical screen in itself. But it is actually better than the iPad screen 169 ppi to the iPad's 132 ppi. That is almost 30 per cent better resolution. It is lighter than the ipad and a lot more portable. Has an antiglare coating built in. Makes it a perfect backlit eReader and I have actually been lucky enough to play with one for a few minutes. If anyone can find an Android Tablet for a similar price point that has the speed, screen resolution and portability of the Nook Color, 8 hours of battery life under the same conditions, backed by a prestigious company, that stands by their products, with no data plan......well I would be very surprised indeed.....
Lucky you! I do love reading long reviews on gadget sites (I'm a reader at heart, no matter the source material, what can I say), but I really look forward to "real life" opinions from regular consumers.

Can you give us a little more info on how the Nook Color felt in your hands? Was it heavy? Sturdy? Plasticy? Can you imagine lying in bed and casually reading a magazine on it?

I've pretty much decided that it will be the perfect companion to my O.G. Nook and my netbook, but I just want to play with it first.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #73
Noah98
Eccentric

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
again I DO NOT criticize those who preordered. you continue stating that but that does not make it true.

the reviews came in just today, before that there were none but people kept stating how great the device was, but did not say they had nothing but b&n website as their source. very misleading for people looking for reviews.

if you think I'm a troll, then you probably know the rule of 'do not feed the troll' so why do you keep responding to my messages? it's a rhetorical question, because I wont respond to any further posts from you, the troll here.
Apparently you like to start an argument (no arguments before you arrived) and then not finish it or respond to the challenges.

You said "I DO NOT criticize those who preorderd" yet early on in the thread you said the following:

"I'm pretty sure that 100% (or close to it) of people who did, who talk of "high quality components" have not held it in their hands or seen it live and are just speculating that it will have high quality components. your last paragraph illustrates it best: "nook color sets it apart" and then you go to compare plethora of tablets but nook color is not among them (and on top of that you almost say "just go with ipad")."

Now, to me that sounds like very negative criticism against me for apparently pre-ordering unwisely. So, it's not that I continue to state it that makes it true, it is what you wrote that makes it true.

Also, I guess now you are changing your complaint (have you conceded the points that there were no reviews posted on this thread, and that the components used are of high quality based on the processor and screen info?). Now you are saying that we are misleading people who are looking for reviews by saying how great it is without having one. Again, this thread was meant for people to post who bought one. People wrote about why they bought one and what they were looking forward to. Where did someone say "I have mine now and it is great because..." No one is being mislead in this thread. You are reaching for an excuse to defend yourself after going on a thread that was positive, and trying to turn it negative (trolling).

I think it is hilarious too that you are blaming me for feeding into your negativity. While I don't have to respond to your unfounded criticisms, I want to and have every right to do so. Maybe you should start your own thread "Nook Color: why I didn't buy one" and then you can be as negative as you want there, and leave this thread to those that want to talk about their excitement for the new device.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #74
spec
Zealot

Quote:
Again, this thread was meant for people to post who bought one. People wrote about why they bought one and what they were looking forward to. Where did someone say "I have mine now and it is great because..." No one is being mislead in this thread. You are reaching for an excuse to defend yourself after going on a thread that was positive, and trying to turn it negative (trolling).
So now you either saying you dont think I'm a troll anymore (cause you're responding back) or going against posting guidelines and are "feeding the troll" deliberately.

Regardless if you want to talk politely I'm very much interested in continuing this discussion in civil manner. If that's not what you want, I will not be responding anymore. But I have seen 4 reviews from sources that definitely had nook color in their hands and know what their talking about (engaget one was the most helpful to me).

I do want to correct your statement I decided to quote here: Despite your perception, this thread was started to include a affiliate link of the original poster so that people click on it and the original poster gets their percentage. When I stated that in response #5, the original poster edited the opening post and changed the doubleclick into bit.ly link to hide the purpose. So the thread was meant to make someone money not to discuss nook color by people who bought one. And still not everyone who posted in this thread bought the new nook.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #75
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
It has a high quality screen - 1024X600 LED IPS 169ppi. Capacitive. Fact.
It has high quality specs for a low price. Fact.

Just because people aren't holding one in their hand doesn't mean any of the things above are not facts. The above facts were proven during the announcement of the device. What the heck are you babbling about with the vividview technology? The specs that say EXACTLY what it is are right on the website (a high quality screen by LG).

P.S. To the original poster - I agree with spec about your under-handed link. If I was the moderator here, and I'm a little more drastic than some, I would ban you right now. You should remove the link and link directly to the Nook site. Clever, but EPIC FAIL.

Last edited by ColdSun; 11-16-2010 at 08:13 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote