Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #91
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is too many formats. Mobi, LIT, LRF, PDB, FB2, IMP, WOLF, PDF just to name a few. Why do we have so many different ebook formats? Why do we need so many? Can't we just have one that isn't going to impose DRM on us?
That's why one overriding common format... XHTML, for instance... is best, as it is already the standard format that most other formats can convert from. IDPF supports packaged XHTML, and they've got the right idea.

Let people archive the XHTML, and use that to convert as desired. That's the way to do it for immediate use, and keep a lasting version of the document.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But the real problem is that all the formats I mentioned can contain DRM. So if you have say a Sony Reader and later on down the line was a reader from iRex and sell off your Sony, you lose the ability to read all the books you purchased from the Connect store. What I want is a DRM-less format that I can read on anyone's hardware. I might be willing to deal with DRM if it was transferable. It's one thing to archive in XTML but what we get to purchase is something chock full of restrictions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #93
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's why I recommend XHTML as the format sold to customers by all booksellers.

The OEBPS or EPub format (what Adobe DE supports besides PDF) is essentially a package of very standardized XHTML and ASCII-based style sheets and descriptive files, all of which can be read and formatted as desired by simple conversion programs (like the free programs I use to convert my e-book formats). It's safe to say that any number of conversion programs will be able to read XHTML for the foreseeable future, and use it for conversion to the preferred format.

If you buy the EPub format, and your reader can convert it for its own display, you have a DRM-free original document. If you buy a new reader, simply feed it the EPub document, and it will convert it. If you want to buy the converted format, so be it, but the bookseller should send you the EPub package as well as the converted format. That's the way it should... and can... work.

I believe that, once booksellers finally give up on DRMed formats, that is exactly what will happen (maybe not immediately, but over time and through customer demand).

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-26-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:09 AM   #94
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Yeees, just look at the library of Alexandria
In those days until the advent of the printing press, manuscripts were done one at a time taking up to 3 months a copy. They'd make a run of 5 to 50 if the text was worth it. Alexandria was the proverbial egg basket.
I could give you the opposing example of Pompei where the only organic material to survive was what looked like a clump of charred fire wood. Upon closer examination, there was more than 1300 tightly rolled up papiri. There is a team working on those and they are making good progress on deciphering some known and unknown texts.

With printed text it's even easyer, you only need one example to survive a catastrophe and most books surface at some point. Just take the Twin Towers as an example although they were pulverised you could see sheets of paper floating about! Authorities had to set up special task forces to protect the privacy of information those papers carried. I don't recall their pulling out working hard drives there but I may be mistaken. Paper can survive violent phenomenons like the reed survives the proverbial mighty oak!

Hey! data is solid too! just take those flight black boxes. Labs almost always seem to recover what they need from them.

My point is clear enough... we need ALL the supports we can in their best utterances with the less fuss for deciphering. Choosing one over the other is a mistake.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just found a BRAND NEW aperback book at simonsays.com for about $4.64 for a $7.99 paperback book. WOW! Not everyone is out to chat you on ebooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #96
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just found a BRAND NEW aperback book at simonsays.com for about $4.64 for a $7.99 paperback book. WOW! Not everyone is out to chat you on ebooks.
Right. I regularly purchase from www.booksonboard.com and www.paperbackdigital.com. These sites often offer ebooks for a cheaper price than the paperback counterpart.

The best discussion that I've found on this topic can be found at Charles Stross's website:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...ook_marke.html

Brace yourself though. This discussion is as long as some small novels.
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 PM   #97
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
As I commented over at Teleread, I think there are a couple of things going on here. First, publishers set list prices. If a retailer (say Mobipocket) lets publishers set their price, they'll normally pick the list price (or else what does it mean). eBook LIST prices don't tend to be higher than pBook LIST prices.

Second, many publishers set eBook list prices identical to their paper prices because they're concerned that bookstores will see them as undercutting the bookstore otherwise. (I will note that Harlequin, which is largely squeezed out of bookstores, offers a modest discount on their eBooks.) Obviously Amazon sometimes discounts from list price.

Third, when Amazon sells below list price, they do so by reducing their own margin--they still pay the publisher for the book based on their negotiated discount from list (generally 45-55%). For whatever reason, Amazon doesn't seem to feel it necessary to discount eBooks it sells through Mobipocket (an Amazon subsidiary), although I don't think publishers would complain as long as they still got their full payment. In contrast, if a publisher wants to offer special pricing at Mobipocket, it gets only 50% of the discounted price.

Some comparisons look at the lowest price offered on Amazon rather than the price of new books. Comparing eBooks to used books isn't exactly fair because publishers don't offer used books.

Just as an added thought, many publishers who focus on eBooks (including my own www.booksforabuck.com) offer significantly lower prices on eBooks than on paper versions of our works.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #98
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherdman View Post
Right. I regularly purchase from www.booksonboard.com and www.paperbackdigital.com. These sites often offer ebooks for a cheaper price than the paperback counterpart.
How are the BooksOnBoard PDF's on the Sony Reader? Are they DRM'd or can i repack them in another format (i.e. .LRF)? Thanks!
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:11 AM   #99
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
How are the BooksOnBoard PDF's on the Sony Reader? Are they DRM'd or can i repack them in another format (i.e. .LRF)? Thanks!
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?BODY=help#mobi
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 08:14 AM   #100
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherdman View Post
The best discussion that I've found on this topic can be found at Charles Stross's website:

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog...ook_marke.html

Brace yourself though. This discussion is as long as some small novels.
Yeah... like this one's short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooksForABuck View Post
As I commented over at Teleread, I think there are a couple of things going on here...
Most of what this boils down to is publishers setting prices, without necessarily being cognizant of the market value for e-books. Not that that's completely their fault... due to all the multiple formats, foot-dragging, and industry paranoia, no one's managed to set those values yet.

We'll need standardization to set in, before a reliable set of values can be set. The publishers need to be sharp, because the little guys (like me and Rob P) could set the price values first, leaving the big pubs to scramble to be able to meet it... or to prove that their product is so much better that it deserves to be more... or to find other ways to reduce costs or subsidize e-books (like through advertising, as mentioned in another thread).
Old 06-28-2007, 01:55 PM   #101
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
So, no dice...
Or i'd have to wait for Sony to implement DE in the Reader. Blech... I hate DRM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote