Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Series problem

I am having trouble getting a series of books to show up in Aldiko as a Collection. I have added the following metadata to each book (with the appropriate series number).

<meta name="calibre:series" content="Brother Cadfael"/>
<meta name="calibre:series_index" content="1"/>

At first, I used EPubMetadataEditor, but it didn't handle one book correctly. I finally opened each epub with 7Zip and edited each "content.opf" file.

No matter what I do, when I import the books into Aldiko, they do not show as a Collection. I have the latest version of Aldiko, which is supposed to support the "calibre:series" metadata.

Any ideas why this isn't working?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:39 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Well...wouldn't this be better asked in the Calibre forum? I have NO idea what Calibre tags do/don't do, and I suspect many others don't, either.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Those are metadata lines for Calibre. Aldiko won't use them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well...wouldn't this be better asked in the Calibre forum? I have NO idea what Calibre tags do/don't do, and I suspect many others don't, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Those are metadata lines for Calibre. Aldiko won't use them.
FYI - Aldiko Customer Support- Book series

Quote:
Starting from version 3.0.32, the Aldiko app supports Calibre series and series index. A lot of you . . .
=============================
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
No matter what I do, when I import the books into Aldiko, they do not show as a Collection. I have the latest version of Aldiko, which is supposed to support the "calibre:series" metadata.
@jgray - if you've not already done so, I suggest you ask Aldiko ==>> Aldiko Customer Support - Requests

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-21-2017 at 01:39 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
Those are purely for Calibre. (non-DC)
Only a tiny proportion of Devices are Calibre metadata friendly .

The Calibre Plugboard might help by fudging the series into a standard metadata field
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those are purely for Calibre. (non-DC)
Only a tiny proportion of Devices are Calibre metadata friendly .

The Calibre Plugboard might help by fudging the series into a standard metadata field
What "standard metadata field" is used for assigning the series name and the item number in the series?
Spoiler:
<meta name="calibre:series" content="Brother Cadfael"/>
<meta name="calibre:series_index" content="1"/>

I was under the impression that TPTB in the metadata world completely ignored that essential bit of cataloging information. Thus the need for the non-DC options. If there is now a "standard" method supported by more devices then please let me know!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Turtle91 - read my post, #4, which confirms what the OP originally posted - Aldiko claim they 'support' Calibre's series and series index. Here's the link - again.

https://aldiko.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/...67-Book-series

BR
Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Oh, I don't doubt that BR. I was just wondering if Ducky knew of a standard meta that covered series and # rather than the non-DC.

Calibre obviously supports them, and my reader of preference Marvin supports them so I'm good for my purposes. But if there were standard meta tags then I would want to use those instead.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:10 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Turtle91 - ePub 3 may have something - title-type collection and group-identifier perhaps.

BR
Old 04-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No, the whole purpose of the plugboard is to insert values where the normally do not belong.

I insert series_index in (front) of the title
(I use the proprietary 'Collections" for the series name.
Each device needs their own solution.

My old PEz used file (folder) names
{series}/{series_index}-{title}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
ePub 3 may have something - title-type collection and group-identifier perhaps.
EPUB 3.01 giveth, but EPUB 3.1 taketh away. Blasted be the name of the EPUB committee.

ETA: But see the discussion at https://github.com/w3c/publ-epub-revision/issues/642 where there’s some indication this metadata will be put back in before EPUB 3.1 is actually released.

Last edited by jcsalomon; 07-13-2017 at 05:30 PM.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
Blasted be the name of the EPUB committee.
Like many such committees the IDPF ePub committee seems to be a make-work racquet

BR
Old 07-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Like many such committees the IDPF ePub committee seems to be a make-work racquet

BR
I would love to see ePub 3.1 be ePub 2 with the fixes and none of the crap of 3.0.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:09 PM   #14
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Bumping this thread to point out that https://github.com/w3c/publ-epub-revision/issues/326, “metadata for series name and volume number” is an active discussion right now.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And still as messed up as ever. All we want is something simple and stable that adds proper support for series.

All we are ever offered is constant change and third party schemas of non-sense.

Where in schema.org under CreativeWork Book is the title provided anyplace?
http://schema.org/Book

What ever happened with Dublin Core dcterms? And what is wrong with dc?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote