Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 05:54 AM   #1141
across
across began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Jailbreak Problems

First off, I'm new at this so apologies if there is a simple fix to my issue.

I've tried to run the PW Jailbreak 5.0x - 5.4.4.2 as per the instruction in the README file in the Archive; however I continue to get the grayed-out 'update your kindle'. Also tried the workarounds in the FAQ section of the same README file, but again no update option.

My device is a PW2 (WiFi) bought in the UK, 9017 (first four characters of the serial number - no letters).

Thanks for you help
across is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM   #1142
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Use the packages from NiLuJe's snapshot thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Notes:
Check your firmware version in the 'settings' menu -
If not running 5.4.5, jailbreak before updating.
If already running 5.4.5, you will have to downgrade to an earlier version to jailbreak and then upgrade to 5.4.5 again (yes, the device jailbreak will survive the upgrade).

Check if you have one of the newer, 4GB flash storage models.
(USB storage shows as 3.xGB of available space.)
You will find special notes on those models in this forum.

Last edited by knc1; 08-11-2014 at 09:24 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #1143
across
across began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Check if you have one of the newer, 4GB flash storage models. (USB storage shows as 3.xGB of available space.)
You will find special notes on those models in this forum.
Hi knc1, Many thanks.

I am using the newer 4GB flash storage model on firmware 5.4.3.2. Can't see on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030 how I get around this. I've noticed others have had the same issue but I can't see what their solution was.

Again, sorry to be a pain.
across is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1144
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@across: As knc1 mentioned, use the JailBreak package linked in the snapshots thread instead of the one in the JailBreak thread.

(FWIW, I'm hoping to bump the release packages sometime soon, if I get my ass in gear to finish the one last thing I want to do before the release...)
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #1145
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@across: As knc1 mentioned, use the JailBreak package linked in the snapshots thread instead of the one in the JailBreak thread.

(FWIW, I'm hoping to bump the release packages sometime soon, if I get my ass in gear to finish the one last thing I want to do before the release...)
And then, if you want Kindlets ("Active Documents") to work (such as KUAL) you will have to upgrade to 5.4.5 firmware.

One current gottcha: There is no Collections Manager for your combination of hardware and firmware.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #1146
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Question Afraid to upgrade to 5.4.5

I have a PW2 running 5.4.3.2 that's jailbroke and running the screensaver hack and Backdoor (I think). I'm thinking about upgrading to 5.4.5 but was wondering a few things.

1. Do I need to install usbnet? I think I installed it in the past on my K3W but didn't on the PW2
2. Should I install KUAL?
3. Do I need to install the jailbreak bridge? I don't know what that is.

Thanks!
Danny
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:01 PM   #1147
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@just_jeepin:

1. Need? No.
2. Should? Possibly, it makes playing with the ScreenSavers' hack settings easier, for example. But need? Nope. Since it has a new dependency (MKK), if you want it, I'd say do it after the update.
3. Need? No. Unless you've reset your device to factory at one point, or want to be extra sure you won't get screwed by the update. (In this specific instance, reinstalling the JB has the same effect, so you can do that instead).
Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #1148
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Thanks! I think I'll go ahead and add KUAL and skip usbnet and the bridge.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #1149
NiLuJe
BLAM!

5.4.5.1 is out. Briefly looked at it, it looks as 'safe' as 5.4.5 in terms of updating, but beyond that, here be dragons!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #1150
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
sure have been a lot of new updates. Imagine the horror if CM was updated only to need a new one practically the next day?

What have Amazon been up to anyway?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:43 AM   #1151
thisbook
thisbook began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hi,
I'm trying to uninstall the Jailbreak 'v1.10.N' because I'm returning the PW2 because the screen is slightly cracked - and thought I should uninstall the jailbreak before sending it back. I was hoping to avoid factory resetting it incase the supplier refuses to take it back, and I can't re-install the jailbreak (I think i read factory reseting has adverse effects on installing the Jb?)

I place the Update_jailbreak_1.10.N_uninstall.bin folder in my PW2 root directory, run 'update my kindle', yet after the restart KUAL and its applications, including collections manager still run. I even noticed the **JAILBREAK** text appear during the restart. I've tried it multiple times, and am very sure i am using the uninstall BIN.

I have the kindle Paper white 2, with firmware version 5.4.2.1 and the serial number 90D4.

Thank guys.
thisbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:12 AM   #1152
knc1
Going Viral

The device Jailbreak is not required to allow applications to "run" just to allow applications to be "installed".

Which means, remove the Jailbreak **after** running all other uninstall packages.
(I.E: you will probably have to re-install the device Jailbreak now, to run the other un-install packages.)

Note:
No one has ever reported a warranty refusal with our applications installed.
When exchanged by Amazon, they ship the replacement **before** receiving the return device.
I.E: They don't have a chance to see yours before they replace it, even if they had time to look (they don't).
Old 08-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #1153
ledeze
ledeze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Hello,

I believe that I carefully followed instructions. I still get a greyed out option 'Update your kindle' even after cleanup + restart. Even after complete reset.

I got my PW2 today from Kentucky to Belgium. The last 4 characters of the SN are '0GLD'.

Can you please help? Thanks in advance!!
ledeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #1154
ledeze

Oops, forgot to mention it is PW2 with WiFi only.

Cheers
Old 08-13-2014, 02:48 PM   #1155
ledeze

Oops again, the Firmware version is 5.4.3.2

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch