Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question Considering buying my very first e-reader. Here are my thoughts. Please advise

Hi all, I'm looking for a device and started brainstorming inside a Google Doc. Because it's not easy to simply copy and paste, I'm gonna share the Google Doc link:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...4KmMA5uKw/edit

Which physical/dedicated ereader is best for me?

Last edited by droopy; 02-26-2019 at 02:10 AM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Modern eink devices don't have slow page turns (unless you mean PDF documents). I have had Kindles since 2011 and page-turning was far from slow even back then.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 01:17 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
As Sirtel mentions, dedicated eReaders (especially modern ones) don't have slow page turning. Not ideal for PDFs, but with .mobi and .ePub reading there will be no "stuttering." If you can create your own ePubs, you won't have trouble using Calibre (and Alf's) to convert eBooks between ePub and Kindle (AZW3) or standard .mobi. If you're worried about lighting, get one of the devices that support "Comfort Lights" (by whatever name). These allow you to adjust the light temperature.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:44 AM   #4
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Looking at your tables,I'd add my voice to the e-reader chorus. The pros outweigh the cons by far.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Use Calibre to convert all your books to either Kindle or ePub format - much easier than worrying about multiple formats, and works very well.

I'd strongly suggest that you forget about PDFs while considering a fiction reader. The requirements for a good PDF reader are completely different to (and conflict with) those for a fiction reader.

Last edited by HarryT; 02-15-2019 at 12:45 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Use Calibre to convert all your books to either Kindle or ePub format - much easier than worrying about multiple formats, and works very well.
Yep, even though you mention using Linux in your doc, here's Calibre: https://calibre-ebook.com/. On the downloads page you'll see that it supports Linux, Mac, and Windows, a true cross-platform open source app.

On formats and devices: get the device that you prefer the overall physical characteristics and don't be driven primarily by the file format. If you find a device where you are happy with the storage, the screen, the ergonomics, and the user experience with the software, get that device. Almost everything out there will support .Mobi, .Epub, or both, and you can easily convert every book you have to both formats.

A few I'd look at would be the latest Kindle PW4 and Oasis 2, and the Kobo Forma, H20, and Clara. You might also consider testing a scenario that a few of us have at times, and that is try to get by with just a combination of your phone, and a small Android tablet in the 7" to 8" range. This will run into some of the pros/cons you mention in your doc, but, ereaders have cons too. Everything is a trade-off.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I use Calibre in Mint Linux - no problems.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #8
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I use it on FreeBSD. :-D
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #9
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

I'd strongly suggest that you forget about PDFs while considering a fiction reader. The requirements for a good PDF reader are completely different to (and conflict with) those for a fiction reader.
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I don't plan to read much PDFs. I personally don't like PDFs. The layout is stuck, if you know what I mean.

Could you kindly explain what a "fiction reader" is? For what it's worth, most, if not all, of my reading is non-fiction.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Modern eink devices don't have slow page turns (unless you mean PDF documents). I have had Kindles since 2011 and page-turning was far from slow even back then.
Sirtel,
Thank you for your reply.

No, I didn't mean PDFs. I meant Kindle devices and kindle ebooks. By the way, half a second is slow for me. Basically, I'd like my physical ereader device to turn pages as fast as what I experience using something like MoonReader app to read ePub files on my Samsung S9+ smartphone.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:24 PM   #11
droopy
Guru

I'd like to thank all those that have replied so far.
I do apologize for my lack of clarity in my Google Doc. It seemed that I was wavering between dedicated ereader VS laptop VS smartphone VS tablet.

But I've pretty much made up my mind that I do want a dedicated ereader. My question now, dear readers, is: Based on what I've written in my Google Doc, where I lay out my needs, preferences, and "not-necessaries", would you have suggest any model in particular for me?
Old 02-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post

Could you kindly explain what a "fiction reader" is? For what it's worth, most, if not all, of my reading is non-fiction.
An average novel (or novella, short story, article) without any complex layout (lots of photos, tables, charts, diagrams etc). Dedicated eink readers are best suited for text. For other things you should get a tablet.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #13
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
An average novel (or novella, short story, article) without any complex layout (lots of photos, tables, charts, diagrams etc). Dedicated eink readers are best suited for text. For other things you should get a tablet.
Thanks for clarifying, Sirtel. Most of my reading will be simply words.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
If your books are in epub, kindles are probably out, and I'd be wary of Nook e-readers given the financial situation of Barnes and Noble.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 01:33 AM   #15
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
If your books are in epub, kindles are probably out, and I'd be wary of Nook e-readers given the financial situation of Barnes and Noble.
Hi binaryhermit. Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I understand.

Why avoid Nook e-readers even if B&N eventually collapses? I can understand your advice if it had to do with buying ePubs from the BN store, but I'm not sure how its financial situation affects a buyer of their Nook hardware.