Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #1
bnick0114
bnick0114 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Setting Up a GitHub Account

Hi, the Manual suggests setting up a GitHub Account if one intends to make a lot of changes to the source code. As I am trying to 'feel my way around' the code right now I have added many Print Statements to guide me.

However, in reading the Git Manual, it appears that I can 'checkout' a local branch of the code on my computer and make as many changes as I want without affecting the main 'repository' on the server.

I can even 'merge' in updates from the server to my local copy to keep it current and still be able to send small 'commits' to the server for possible incorporation into the main file (if I happen to make some).

Does anyone see any advantages/disadvantages to going this route as opposed to setting up a whole new GitHub Account?

Thanks in advance, Bernie.
bnick0114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A github account is very useful if you want to submit changes back to Kovid. Other than that, you can do everything you need to do without one. Other than submission, as far as I can see the development process is identical.

Hmmm... you would have everything except a convenient backup of your repository. Pushing your stuff to your own repo on github puts your work somewhere other than on your local disk. On the other hand, it makes that work visible to others. You pays your dues and makes your choice.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
bnick0114

Thanks for your reply chaley! Very useful. To sum up -- there is no real reason to set up a GitHub Account, because a 'branch' on your local machine will allow one to merge in updates from the server as well as submit changes (via email) to Kovid.

The only advantage? would be that you have your work backed up to a resource other than a local hard drive. Have I got this right?
Old 09-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnick0114 View Post
Thanks for your reply chaley! Very useful. To sum up -- there is no real reason to set up a GitHub Account, because a 'branch' on your local machine will allow one to merge in updates from the server as well as submit changes (via email) to Kovid.

The only advantage? would be that you have your work backed up to a resource other than a local hard drive. Have I got this right?
Yes, this is right, except for the "only advantage" part. Having an account gives you 4 more advantages:
  • You can create "pull requests" to send changes to Kovid. No email. This is almost certainly easier than email for him.
  • You can add commits to the pull request if necessary
  • You and Kovid can carry on a conversation tied to the pull request, where he can make suggestions and point out bugs, and you can reply.
  • You can make branches in the repo, permitting creation of simultaneous unrelated pull requests.
These are all significantly less convenient if using email.

I don't see any inconveniences in having an account. After all, nothing there is secret.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
bnick0114

Thanks for the quick response. I guess being new, I'm thinking its kind of silly creating a fork on a public server. Also, I really don't expect to be submitting any 'changes' for awhile. The learning curve seems a little steep right now and (no offense) but the source code documentation seems a little sparse. Right now I'm just placing print statements everywhere (like bread crumbs) trying to figure out which programs get called and when. Its kind of slow going.
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
hakan42
Zealot
hakan42 is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Classic rooted; Galaxy S IV with Aldiko, other older devices
In my opinion, the added value of github comes from its social aspects.

You have easily handled tools to create forks and contribute them back to the originator as pull requests, you have ways to discuss those pull requests and all you do is (optionally) visible to the general public. Basically, it's enabling the whole "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing.

Even if you don't use it for calibre right now, I would go ahead and create an account at github, it will come in handy further down the road with other projects
hakan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
bnick0114

Thanks for this feedback. Very interesting comments. Its definitely worth considering further on my part. Thanks.