Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
How many backups do you have?

We all have a number of ebooks, and worry about providers going out of business, ereaders failing, computer crashes. So how many backups do you have?

I am up to nine. I have three computers (laptop, netbook, desktop, in that order of use) and I have my ebooks in Calibre on each machine. I also back-up each computer. I also have my library in dropbox, so that makes 7. I also backup to an SD card, and backup just the library on a portable hard drive.

Now that I have listed all of this, it sounds kind of excessive. How about you? How many backups do you have?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've had to re-create my computer from "new build" four times since mid-December.

I have a single set of backups at the moment, but have been recently trying to come up with an organized backup schedule (including making a complete "image" of my computer so I don't have to start over from new the next time some d@mn worm makes it onto my computer!)

So right now, my answer is one. But I expect that to change in the next month or so as I figure out my official backup schedule.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I have the books on the reader, on my hard drive (twice, once as downloaded the other as Calibre backup). And I backup the lot on an external drive.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post

Now that I have listed all of this, it sounds kind of excessive. How about you? How many backups do you have?
Yes, nine copies does sound like the road to Weirdsville may not be too far down the track... Just kidding.

I have one extra copy - a regular backup of the main computer - which is stored separately. Any more seems unnecessary, but that's just a personal choice.

All the books that are on my hard drive could be downloaded again from the place I got them from. In the event that the site had gone or the book been deleted, then I could retrieve it from the backup.

As I also have more than one portable reading device I do temporarily end up with more than one copy, while they're actively being read. But my focus is on keeping the number of multiples down, not up. I see the clutter as a nuisance rather than an asset.

To put it into perspective, I have over 2,000 printed books and not one of them are "backed up". They're all just single volumes. I could lose any or all of those books through fire, theft, or plain old carelessness. It's a possibility, but I don't lose sleep over it.

The worst thing that could happen to me is that an ebook could go missing. In my case, this would be more likely to happen because I had lost track of some overly cluttered and complicated system than because a book simultaneously vanished from both the Internet and my computer. I also only re-read a fairly small percentage of books, so it mostly wouldn't bother me if I couldn't retrieve one that I'd already read anyway.

But if push came to shove, and I managed to lose both on and off-line copies, then I'd be prepared to buy a favourite book again. To me that would cost a lot less than the value of the time I would waste managing multi-layer backups, let alone the cost of the extra hardware or on-line backup space.

It really depends on what floats your boat. If you're a worrier, or if you actually enjoy the procedures involved in making elaborate backups - and some people clearly do - then that's cool too.

Cheers,

Chris

Last edited by ChrisC333; 03-31-2010 at 01:02 AM.
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I have the copy on my computer, a copy on my external hard drive and a cloud back-up. How much more do you need? If either my computer or my hard drive fails I have the other. If my house burns to the ground I have my cloud copy. If I wanted to be really secure I suppose I could cloud copy to two different locations. One of the many great things about ebooks is how small they are. My library of over 1300 books is only 1.1GB.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I am up to nine
9 backups of the same staff?
Do you have at least 1 backup of your ebooks outside of the house? In case of fire or flooding? Is it the dropbox backup?

I have 2 backups.
The mains storage is on my desktop + 2 backups.
The first backup is on my portable HD.
The second backup is on external HD at work that is basically a mirror of my portable HD.
That's it

P.S. the same applies to my pics.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:38 AM   #7
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
wow. that sure is a lot.

i only have 3. My laptop, an external HDD and Dropbox.
carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have daily, weekly and monthly backups going back three months on a network server in a datacentre which is itself backed up on another server in another datacentre.

In addition all my data is synced between three different computers

So I think you're doing just fine
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My entire book collection (as well as all my data, Calibre and Sony Library, all software, photos, music, etc., etc.,) is backed up onto two separate 1.5 terabyte external hard drives that are always connected to my main computer and synced weekly. Then I have another 1.5 terabyte external that gets connected once a month to get an updated sync.

"I promise I'll never go hungry again" ... nor lose important stuff!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
1) Dropbox folder on my computer
2) 'In the cloud' backup to Dropbox of the folder
3) Once a week, backup of same to USB key on my keychain
4) Backup to disk drive using time machine when I remember

I don't create many 'documents' at home so my ebooks are the one thing which would take me the longest to restore to a satisfactory level in case of computer accident. I could re-download most of them from the vendors, but it would take a long time to put back the cover art, tags etc. and to liberate again those books which need liberation.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I have the majority of my collection burned to DVD (2 copys) a copy on my computer, another on a 16gig SD card, and 2 more 4 gig sd cards, one in my wifes Jetbook, and one in my Jetbook lite.
(Just switched to the light last week.)

I have a lot of unsorted, uncoverted Data which has been liberated, with a lot of duplications, both in books and in folders. (ie Stephen King, King, Steven, King S, etc)
Its a long slow process sorting it all out. As it gets sorted, file names fixed, etc it gets added to my master backup which is sorted by Genre.

So I have 6 backups.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I have my eReader devices, my Calibre database and my computer gets backed up to Mozy.com daily...
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:06 PM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
All I have is the library in Calibre on my iMac and a back up on an extrernal drive using Time Machine.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #14
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Let's see...

I have my "active data" mirrored daily between two hard disks on my PC. Then there's the weekly copy to a hard disk in a USB bay attached to my router*, and the monthly backup of important changed files onto DVD-R. Plus the "deep storage" on hard disks of older stuff for archive, which I do every year or so onto two hard disks (I have a stack of 20GB hard disks I use for this, heh).

I've also been known to keep a copy of a lot of the important stuff on the laptop, and there's a bunch of irreplaceable stuff which I update every year or so on DVD-R which is held for me at my parents house.

And quite a bit of my work is stored online on wiki's anyway, which come with backups..

(*ASUS WL500g. They're nifty.)
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:59 PM   #15
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I saw this thread, I thought it was ironic as I had just posted a similar topic on my blog. I had a horror story to share regarding backups I lost books that I had written. yes BOOKS..multiple.

The poor world. Think of the loss! hahahaha

If you get a chance, take a peak at it. http://maureenamiller.blogspot.com/
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote