Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #61
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toz View Post
Unfortunately, they don't offer an exchange for this device. Only refund with $20 restocking fee + shipping.
Before you give up, perhaps you could PM Nate and see if he can offer help on how he flashed his over? See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The libre is the Jetbook. I bought a libre, and then updated it with the latest Jetbook firmware.
And while we're on the subject, didn't someone just say they flashed their jetBook to Aluratek's firmware? How?

Last edited by Kralik; 12-02-2009 at 08:43 PM. Reason: added quote
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #62
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
Before you give up, perhaps you could PM Nate and see if he can offer help on how he flashed his over? See:

And while we're on the subject, didn't someone just say they flashed their jetBook to Aluratek's firmware? How?
Flashing the Jetbook firmware was easy. It just worked. Flashing the latest Libre firmware (on top of the Jetbook firmware) didn't work.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #63
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Flashing the Jetbook firmware was easy. It just worked. Flashing the latest Libre firmware (on top of the Jetbook firmware) didn't work.
I guess that that makes the Libre Pro a better buy, in that you now have two competing sources for firmware updates.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:24 PM   #64
tkovacs
tkovacs began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:

It's true what they say, you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone. After receiving my Aluratek, I flashed it to Jetbook firmware to be able to use the dictionary. Now I find myself wanting to be able to read Adobe Digital Editions DRMd books, and cannot get my device to flash the new Aluratek firmware.

If anyone figures out how this feat can be accomplished, I am on pins and needles.
tkovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:47 PM   #65
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Even though you have a Libre, it didn't work? Curious...

I've been trying a few different tricks and will let you all know if I figure it out. I'm going to try the Chinese firmware again and see if it helps.
Advert
Old 12-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #66
Kralik
Guru

Can anyone who has a Libre check to see if there's a directory (hidden or otherwise) called "reflash_nor" on the SD card it comes with?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #67
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Even though you have a Libre, it didn't work? Curious...

I've been trying a few different tricks and will let you all know if I figure it out. I'm going to try the Chinese firmware again and see if it helps.
If you can figure out how to get from the Jetbook firmware to the Libre firmware, we would deeply appreciate it.
Quote:
Can anyone who has a Libre check to see if there's a directory (hidden or otherwise) called "reflash_nor" on the SD card it comes with?
There isn't.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 PM   #68
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
There isn't.
Or in the internal memory (for those who haven't gone to Ectaco yet)?
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 PM   #69
Kralik
Guru

Well, having flashed to the Chinese firmware, I still can't flash to Libre.

Nate, when you flashed to jetBook, did you use the simple instructions or did you go the full route and go to the self-test screen to do the formatting?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 PM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Well, having flashed to the Chinese firmware, I still can't flash to Libre.

Nate, when you flashed to jetBook, did you use the simple instructions or did you go the full route and go to the self-test screen to do the formatting?
I used the simple instructions.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 PM   #71
Kralik
Guru

Well, no luck. The best I could get is for the firmware to start the upgrade process, but it would inevitably fail partway through. The first error message is shows (without starting the "file transfer" animation) can be bypassed by renaming the Aluratek firmware to the Ectaco file name. How to get past the second check, I don't know...
Old 12-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #72
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toz View Post
Got my package from Newegg. Very dissapointed Aluratek removed Cyrilic support from their firmware. Jetbook has that. Unfortunately I found no way to reflash it to Jetbook FW... it says that upgrade failed. The SD card is ok, because it accepts and flashes Aluratek firmware, but it's impossible to flash anything else. Is there anything I can do with that?
I think I'll sell it on craigslist or send it back to newegg.
Odd that Nate got it to jetBook firmware and now can't get it back! Perhaps you could find someone willing to trade. I really want to try the Libre firmware but have had no luck going jetBook --> Aluratek.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 PM   #73
Toz
Toz began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
If you can figure out how to get from the Jetbook firmware to the Libre firmware, we would deeply appreciate it.

There isn't.
Well guys I need the opposite.
Seems to me that I had more recent FW (0.15) on my Libre from the box than Nate had. And in that firmware they changed a bootloader or something, that won't let flash Jetbook or chinese firmware, as well as you can't flash to that FW from the Jetbooks. The only way I see is to find old libre firmware and try to flash it. So Nate can go back to Libre and I can flash to Jetbook...
But I think I'll give up... If there's someone from NYC maybe then someone might be interested in exchange...
Toz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:23 AM   #74
Kralik
Guru

That sounds like a good theory. I had 0.14 on my computer but just deleted it a few hours ago without trying it. Maybe in the morning I can try an undelete and see if it works.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #75
Toz
Toz began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
That sounds like a good theory. I had 0.14 on my computer but just deleted it a few hours ago without trying it. Maybe in the morning I can try an undelete and see if it works.
That would be great.
I can't understand why there's no some kind of "archive" of old firmwares somewhere?(not official I mean) For example there were some issues with bricking Jetbooks with 33g firmware, and it could be good idea to go back to 33c..
Toz is offline   Reply With Quote