Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Mars crew 'lands' after 520 days in isolation

UPDATE 1-Mars crew 'lands' after 520 days in isolation

Fri Nov 4, 2011 9:36am EDT

* Crew have been locked in module in Moscow

* Mission to test man's endurance for real Mars flight (Adds astronaut, space officials quotes)

By Alissa de Carbonnel

MOSCOW, Nov 4 (Reuters) - Pale-faced but smiling, the crew of a long-duration isolation study emerged bleary-eyed to daylight and applause on Friday after 520 days locked away in windowless, cramped cells to simulate the length of a journey to Mars.

The $15 million Mars500 experiment aims to answer one of the big unknowns of deep-space travel: can people stay healthy and sane during six months rocketing to the Red Planet?

The six male volunteers were allowed to briefly embrace family and friends before being ushered into a three-day quarantine period at the end of an experiment to recreate the psychological strain of a real Mars mission as closely as possible.

Clothed in blue jumpsuits, the would-be astronauts from Europe, Russia and China grinned and waved as the heavy metal door was shut on their home of the last 17 months in a mock spaceship at a Moscow research institute.

Rest here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7M41UT20111104
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think you could pay me enough to not interact with my family in the real world for a year and a half.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
I'm really impressed that they made it.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I don't think you could pay me enough to not interact with my family in the real world for a year and a half.
Some might consider it a blessing.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
I'm really impressed that they made it.
Yes, without killing each other. Bet they don't have dinner together for a while.
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I was just reading about these kinds of studies in a magazine on Monday. Man, I wouldn't be able to do it.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
In one of my favorite sci-fi series, Alan Dean Foster has the Thranx, an alien race, hold humans confined in a room where they study how violent the humans get when trapped together.

The book is "Nor Crystal Tears". One of the best and most interesting looks at what would happen if we met an alien race: http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Tears-...0434684&sr=1-1
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I think I could do it if I was alone.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It was obviously an ordeal for the men to accomplish. Fortunately we're not ready to take a trip just yet, as it gives us time to better refine the tests, procedures and methods we'd use to keep long-distance astronauts mentally and physically healthy and sharp. Proper combinations of in-flight tasks, recreational inclusions and distractions, psychological evaluations and adjustments, and a bit of space and privacy, can go a long way.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
In one of my favorite sci-fi series, Alan Dean Foster has the Thranx, an alien race, hold humans confined in a room where they study how violent the humans get when trapped together.

The book is "Nor Crystal Tears". One of the best and most interesting looks at what would happen if we met an alien race: http://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Tears-...0434684&sr=1-1
Hey! Thanks for that recommendation! I've read some of his work and like it. This sounds interesting.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #11
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I would pay to not interact with my in-laws for a year and a half
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
give me a kindle and a fleshlight and i could do it standing on my head.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Good Man!

Old 11-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #14
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
Fleshlight?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Fleshlight?
Don't Google it!
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote