Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-23-2017, 10:30 AM   #1
Avamander
Avamander began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 2 (KT3), Kindle Touch (KT) with a broken screen
Question Kindle Touch hide Amazon login

I recently managed to buy a Kindle Touch (if you wonder why I bought such an old model - it was rather cheap and I've always wanted one).
I tried jailbreaking it, followed this guide. What I did in the end:
Spoiler:
Flashed the diag images
Downgraded to 5.1.2
Got the *** Jailbreak ***
Flashed the update_jailbreak_bridge.bin
Upgraded to 5.3.2.1, for some reason 5.3.7.3.bin doesn't want to install.

1) Basically, now there's a huge banner telling me to log in, how can I get rid of it without logging in?

2) Neither am I sure the jailbreak has remained, the instructions are pretty unclear and contain quite a few dead ends so it'd be really nice if you could tell me that too.

3) Lastly how to enter text in diags mode?

Last edited by Avamander; 04-23-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Small fixes.
Avamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Well, if the list of what you did "in the end" is correct, then you did not follow the directions you linked to.

Also, unless you are trying to follow directions from different locations or posts, there are no 'loose ends'. It seems very likely you are mixing directions taken from more places than the single source you linked to.

Please describe: "doesn't want to install"
We can not diagnose: "broke"

Have never heard of such a banner, give us a screenshot (two fingers, touch diagonally opposite corners of the screen).

How are you entering diags mode?
That normally can not be done unless you have done something you have not mentioned.

# 1 3 1 3 1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Avamander

That banner at the bottom of the screen^

It's actually as simple as that, it shows no error or anything, just reboots when "Update Your Kindle" is selected. I'm being as vague as the Kindle is .

I'm entering diags mode through fastboot if needed.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I do not see: "login" anywhere on that screen.

So register it, if you can. That is the only sure way to find out if it is blacklisted.
In addition to the nagging notice, some features will be disable until it is registered.
or
Just ignore the nag notice
or
Search here for: fake registration, which you can also use as long as you are not trying to use a stolen device.

- - - -

If you are running firmware 5.1.2 or more recent, then try the "test" package in the current jailbreak thread. That will report if the jailbreak is present.

Or you can do as the directions say, just install again the bridge or hotfix package as described in the spoiler of the post you linked to.

- - - -

Please describe: "doesn't want to install"
We can not diagnose: "broke"

- - - -

You need to install something to enter text with, fastboot can not be used as a terminal.
What, if anything, have you already installed?
I can not see that you have installed KUAL yet, and that is pretty basic to using any of our add-ins.

Last edited by knc1; 04-23-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Avamander

Amazon has already confirmed that. They can't do anything. So I'm just stuck with getting that thing hidden somehow. Didn't even know that was a risk so seeing how the device worked I already had left feedback. eBay doesn't care either.

"That normally can not be done unless you have done something you have not mentioned."? Well, it does ask for input but doesn't provide an input method.
Advert
Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avamander View Post
Amazon has already confirmed that. They can't do anything. So I'm just stuck with getting that thing hidden somehow. Didn't even know that was a risk so seeing how the device worked I already had left feedback. eBay doesn't care either.

"That normally can not be done unless you have done something you have not mentioned."? Well, it does ask for input but doesn't provide an input method.
A blacklisted device.
It is against this site's policy to aid anyone using a stolen or lost device.

Follow the directions I have already given you, see how much use you can make of it.

Try working with e-bay again, they really don't like their site being used to sell lost or stolen property.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Avamander

Saw your edit, I said I'm using fastboot to get to diags mode, it's diags mode that asks for input at a few places.

Ebay expects law enforcement to report stolen or lost property, not individuals.

Though thanks for the rest of the information.

Last edited by Avamander; 04-23-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 04-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Saw your edit, I said I'm using fastboot to get to diags mode, it's diags mode that asks for input at a few places.

Ebay expects law enforcement to report stolen or lost property, not individuals.

Though thanks for the rest of the information.
Ah, you are missing the point - -
You do not report it lost or stolen to e-bay, you report the seller for not properly describing the equipment.
Unless the description did say: "can not be used with Amazon on-line features" and you purchased it anyway.

Normal case on e-bay for blacklisted Kindles is:
"Used, working, for parts only"
Old 04-23-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
Avamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Ah, you are missing the point - -
You do not report it lost or stolen to e-bay, you report the seller for not properly describing the equipment.[...]
Hmm, there was no such "report the seller" option, but there was "Contact Seller"->"Item wasn't as described". Thanks again!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hmm, there was no such "report the seller" option, but there was "Contact Seller"->"Item wasn't as described". Thanks again!
They will not get involved until you and the seller fail to agree on how to resolve the problem.

You have additional protection if you paid via PayPal.
Other methods of payment may also offer you some type of protection.

Tags
amazon account, jailbreak, kindle touch