Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-11-2017, 09:03 AM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Jacket editing help

I hope someone is able/willing to help me out here. These requests are more along the lines of things I'd like, not that I absolutely have to have.
  1. I am currently using the custom "My Rating" for the rating on the jacket, and would like it to show as stars, rather than numbers (as the regular Rating did according to the lines at the top of the template). Just not sure how to go about adding that...I wouldn't even mind if it only showed full stars, and any half stars coming up as .5.
  2. I would really like if the series could have the roman numeral format, but using regular numbers:

• Roman format: Number XX of Season Seven
    • Regular format (for me): Season Seven [20]
    I have a feeling that has to do with one of my "Save as" "Send to" or "Metadata Plugboard" templates, but is there anywhere to change it just for the jacket? If not that's fine, but I have to ask
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@MerlinMama - You can customise the jacket via a resources override, the "Customising calibre" section of the manual has an overview.

Also search the Calibre forum for 'custom jacket', IIRC some of your wishes have been raised before.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #3
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@MerlinMama - You can customise the jacket via a resources override, the "Customising calibre" section of the manual has an overview.

Also search the Calibre forum for 'custom jacket', IIRC some of your wishes have been raised before.

BR
I know I can customize the jacket (I've already done that, you'll see in OP I need help tweaking the stars for My Rating)...and I HAVE searched the forum, and no my wishes have not been raised before.

There was a previous post about using roman numerals. I don't want that. I want the format USED when using roman numerals. I've tinkered, but nothing seems to give the results I want...sometimes causing unexpected results!

Right now on the jacket, if you use [roman.series], it shows as: Number XX of Season Seven. If you use just [series], it shows as: Season Seven [20]. I hoped to be able to get: Number 20 of Season Seven.

Just hoping someone has an idea for it.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wouldn't have thought your wishes can come true by changing Send, Save, or Plugboard templates settings

Maybe the series one could be done with a template function - it's the last item in Preferences.

I assume My Rating is a custom column, what happens if you tick the half stars box in the custom column definition (that assumes a 1-10 rating), a 3 should show one and a half stars in the book list and book details, does that not show up in the jacket?

BR
Old 04-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
I know I can customize the jacket (I've already done that, you'll see in OP I need help tweaking the stars for My Rating)...and I HAVE searched the forum, and no my wishes have not been raised before.

There was a previous post about using roman numerals. I don't want that. I want the format USED when using roman numerals. I've tinkered, but nothing seems to give the results I want...sometimes causing unexpected results!

Right now on the jacket, if you use [roman.series], it shows as: Number XX of Season Seven. If you use just [series], it shows as: Season Seven [20]. I hoped to be able to get: Number 20 of Season Seven.

Just hoping someone has an idea for it.
Now I see
{series} here is being applied as if it was {series} [{series_index}] in a regular template. They are not separated fields
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought your wishes can come true by changing Send, Save, or Plugboard templates settings

Maybe the series one could be done with a template function - it's the last item in Preferences.

I assume My Rating is a custom column, what happens if you tick the half stars box in the custom column definition (that assumes a 1-10 rating), a 3 should show one and a half stars in the book list and book details, does that not show up in the jacket?

BR
Yes, My Rating is a custom column introduced by Kovid a while back, to have half stars. Not sure what you mean, when choosing a rating, you select stars and if necessary half stars. On the Jacket it shows as numbers, and if possible I'd like stars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	156128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	156129  
Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Yes, My Rating is a custom column introduced by Kovid a while back, to have half stars. Not sure what you mean, when choosing a rating, you select stars and if necessary half stars. On the Jacket it shows as numbers, and if possible I'd like stars.
I don't use any kind of ratings myself. Is the built ratings column shown as stars in the jacket?

I wonder if its a font issue, I have an inkling that half-stars are not present in some fonts. A while back I helped someone with calculating a 1-10 custom rating based on number of times viewed. The issue of fonts came up then, can't recall the context, but I don't think it was jackets

Nuh, just checked, the issue was whether the half stars could be white stars. My records indicate calibre includes the stars and half stars in its CalibreSymbols font file, not sure if/how it can be used in the jacket.

BR
Old 04-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
@MerlinMama, for adding your ratings as stars (including half star)) you have to create a custom column which transforms the ratings in the proper stars and include that column in the jacket (I've done it in that way at least). I cannot help you a lot with the custom column, because I don't use regex but python programs (I'm more fluent programming), but I get them in that way.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:45 AM   #9
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
@MerlinMama, for adding your ratings as stars (including half star)) you have to create a custom column which transforms the ratings in the proper stars and include that column in the jacket (I've done it in that way at least). I cannot help you a lot with the custom column, because I don't use regex but python programs (I'm more fluent programming), but I get them in that way.
There is already a custom column that shows stars and half stars, which I've mentioned at least twice, if not three times in previous posts. It is called "My Rating" and it is there in addition to the "Rating" column. It is a custom column created by Kovid. I have already included this into the jacket. It does not show as stars, only as numbers. I just wanted to know what I had to do to show them as stars on the jacket. See second thumbnail in post #6 to show that jacket shows only numbers. Although I did NOT have a half star rating in that example, I changed it to 3 and a half for this current example showing stars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snip.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	156131  
Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 AM   #10
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Quote:
I don't use any kind of ratings myself. Is the built ratings column shown as stars in the jacket?
BR
Yes, the built in column shows as stars on the jacket (although they look more like asterisks, that's fine with me.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:50 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...04e97cfd1b0930

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...ea53f503214d8a

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-12-2017 at 04:22 AM. Reason: adjust second link - to the ratings related change
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:02 AM   #12
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Oh goodness, thank you! I certainly do appreciate your taking the time to do this.

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-12-2017 at 05:15 AM. Reason: fix link