Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-29-2014, 08:08 PM   #1
alchemist1
alchemist1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Need Kindle Paperwhite 3rd party collection manager!

I like the Paperwhite, but just had a "tense" conversation with an Amazon rep, who tried to rationally explain that I must send my personal files to Amazon, and they will then "decide" if I can add them to collections! If Microsoft tried to spy on every personal file before deciding whether to allow adding it to a windows folder, I'm pretty sure there would be instant lawsuits...

Although I'm not happy about Amazon's desire to spy on people's personal files, I still like the device. However, I want to be able to get the full use out of it with a 3rd party collection manager.

So far I've heard about Ixtab's jailbreak + collection manager + calibre, and also Kindlean.

Does anyone know what the simplest solution is for this now?
alchemist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Katdragon
Connoisseur
Katdragon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (currently out of commission), Kindle 3
Good grief! What exactly do you want to do with your collections? I've had the same problem but I'm not happy about jailbreaking my device so I'm using calibre to label my files and then put them in a collection. For example, I used calibre to change the book titles in my 'Song of Ice and Fire' collection as "Song 1 - Game of Thrones" "Song 2 - A Clash of Kings" etc.
I then manually created the Song of Ice and Fire collection folder and put the books into it using the paperwhite collection function.

It's a bit tedious but it does work.
Katdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemist1 View Post
I may be missing something here, but can't you just get Calibre and convert your documents to mobi (or AZW3) format and side-load the documents?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

Although I'm not happy about Amazon's desire to spy on people's personal files, I still like the device. However, I want to be able to get the full use out of it with a 3rd party collection manager.

So far I've heard about Ixtab's jailbreak + collection manager + calibre, and also Kindlean.

I've heard tin foil hats, when used properly, can work well at preventing amazon from spying.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Please don't mention Kindlean anywhere near any of the people involved in Kindle hacking, or we will (possibly) loose our cool (or is that just me? ).

Anyway, last I heard they had scammed^Wnope, sorry, can't find a better verb, enough people, and it's now kaput.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-29-2014 at 10:42 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2014, 11:07 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Please don't mention Kindlean anywhere near any of the people involved in Kindle hacking, or we will (possibly) loose our cool (or is that just me? ).

Anyway, last I heard they had scammed^Wnope, sorry, can't find a better verb, enough people, and it's now kaput.
Intrigued, please explain.

Could someone also please tell me how to create collections on my pc (or Calibre) then transport these to the PW via usb? I don't have wifi (by choice).
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Intrigued, please explain.

Could someone also please tell me how to create collections on my pc (or Calibre) then transport these to the PW via usb? I don't have wifi (by choice).
KIndlean is a ripoff of ixtab's Collections Manager hack for the Kindle. Only it doesn't get updated until (way?) after ixtab NiLuJe and the gang has released the CM updates, and then it shamelessly takes their work and sells it.

I think NiLuJe is right that they are gone now, so they will never say get updated with a brand-new patch submitted yesterday that should add FW 5.4.3.2 support. Although it reportedly has some PW support. Still, why pay for freely contributed software?

On the CM link, there are instructions for installing a plugin into calibre for managing collections from calibre (based on metadata and stuff ) and importing to CM.

Side note: Using the WTFPL is kind of asking to get your work ripped off. The GPL or similar allows anyone to do whatever they want -- assuming attribution is used, and forbidding resale of your work. The license chosen is kinda meant specifically to allow ripoffs.

Sorry! *runs for cover*

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-30-2014 at 07:28 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
I like the Paperwhite, but just had a "tense" conversation with an Amazon rep, who tried to rationally explain that I must send my personal files to Amazon, and they will then "decide" if I can add them to collections!
If your Paperwhite is registered, you don't need to be logged into your Amazon account to set up local collections on your Paperwhite. Simply put the Paperwhite in Airplane mode and select Create New Collection from the Home screen menu and add books to them. (You'll get an Unable to Sync warning that you can ignore.)

If you want to add lots of books to an empty collection, select Collections from the Home screen, open a collection and select Add/Remove Items from the menu.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'm also personally quite fond of the utter lack of transparency it demonstrated .

(I remember a comment from a Kindlean user mentioning that he was happy he didn't have to jailbreak his device, and how he got utterly dazed when I mentioned that, nope, sorry, Kindlean actually used a jailbreak vector (and did god knows what else to your device once in). That was fun.).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #10
alchemist1
alchemist1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@booklover6 - feel free to send all your personal diaries & writings to Amazon if you please. The issue is also not only about privacy, they won't even allow certain items to be added to their collections, it is solely at their discretion with no stated guidelines.

@Doitsu - my pw is not registered, OK maybe I am being a bit paranoid about it, but I've read several horror stories of Kindles calling home, and people losing hours of work they put into organizing collections. I don't want/trust Amazon/Bezos to manage/control my library.

@NiLuJe - Thanks for clarifying the situation, I'll stick with the original jail-break, appreciate the efforts of the developers for creating this! I'll try to figure out how to install it now...
alchemist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
they won't even allow certain items to be added to their collections, it is solely at their discretion with no stated guidelines.
Where did you come up with that theory? AFAIK the only thing you can't add to "their" collections (which are actually not theirs, but yours) are dictionaries. Unless things have changed.

Your best bet if you ever plan to turn wifi on, is to install the backdoorlock hack so that The Evil Amazon can't update your device, which can indeed screw up hours worth of work regarding collections.

Did you say whether you have a PW1 or a PW2? The cloud collections update is the one that will screw you up. If your device is a PW1 with pre-cloud collections, this is a good time to jailbreak, and backdoorlock, and then you can register and add collections without having to use third party collections. In addition, to ward off further spirals of paranoia, once you have registered, you can then turn the wifi off and never turn it back on, and then manage your collections quite cheerfully, with or without tinfoil.

ETA the best way to completely escape the watchful eye of any big brother corporation is to buy a Sony T1, T2 or T3, which can be used without ever registering, and collections can be created and managed quite well using Calibre tags. It is not lighted, however.

Last edited by booklover6; 06-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
@booklover6 - feel free to send all your personal diaries & writings to Amazon if you please. The issue is also not only about privacy, they won't even allow certain items to be added to their collections, it is solely at their discretion with no stated guidelines.
This is utter nonsense. You can add anything you want to a collection.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #13
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
This is rubbish. So, you didn't even register your Kindle and then went to CS for support?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If the device isn't registered, you can't use collections, not without fooling the Kindle into thinking it is registered, and even if you do that, you can't send personal docs to your Kindle via the Amazon servers since you can't connect an unregistered Kindle? Isn't that correct?

Therefore, what is this thread about?!

soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post

Therefore, what is this thread about?!

Tin foil hats!

Tags
collection manager, collections, kindle paperwhite