Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #31
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The other thing that can work sometimes is to start to do it yourself, and then send the result to your artist friend with the message, "Do you think this might be good enough? Just hoping to save you some trouble." With a bit of luck they won't be able to stop themselves from showing why they have the title "artist".
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:02 PM   #32
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Asian dragon gives the impression of ... well, Asia, rather than what I envisage of a dragon in a children's book. Hmmm... Not keen on the dragon-letter myself.

As hard as it can be, I suggest patience. Not that you should wait forever for your artist friend, but that you should not rush the publication process. Make sure you are happy with the result before you push ahead.
Advert
Old 05-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The new thread concerning cover art has been merged with the EARLIER thread on cover not. Do NOT create new threads for what is essentially the same subject: cover art. PLEASE!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:51 PM   #34
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
<abashed>

and I do know better, truly I do. My only excuse is that I've been up since around 4am on maybe 4 hours of sleep, and so am not thinking.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #35
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Waiting for my cover was worth it - here's a low-res version. We did one change, and lost the colon in the final version. I am elated!

one more beta reader's comments yet to come, and I'm ready to upload it to Amazon. (and I'm getting stage fright)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	working copy 3 low rez.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	106361  
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #36
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Very cute! Definitely worth the wait.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #37
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Alas, I had to send it back to the artist - an ampersand escaped from between Dragons and Dreams, and needs to be captured and replaced. and I guess I need a lower res version for the ebooks - the high res version is too large, I think, and makes a huge mobi file.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #38
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't you want a singular or plural possessive on 'Dragons,' depending upon whether or not one dragon has dreams or more than one dragon has dreams?

The brother's hats are in the closet.
[One brother with more than one hat.]

The brothers' hats are in the closet.
[More than one brother with more than one hat.]

Don
Old 05-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I think you missed the post just above yours, Don, about the escaped ampersand. I'll have to wait a few days for my artist to get back to me with the corrected cover, though. *sigh* I'm so impatient to publish, now that I know how wonderfully the cover comes out. And it's my fault too; I missed the missing ampersand in the rough I was sent.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #40
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I think you missed the post just above yours, Don, about the escaped ampersand. I'll have to wait a few days for my artist to get back to me with the corrected cover, though. *sigh* I'm so impatient to publish, now that I know how wonderfully the cover comes out. And it's my fault too; I missed the missing ampersand in the rough I was sent.

I see: An ampersand between the word 'Dragons' and 'Dreams.'

Don
Old 05-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #41
BeccaPrice
Wizard

yeah, it's amazing how punctuation makes a difference.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:12 PM   #42
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
yeah, it's amazing how punctuation makes a difference.
Let's eat grandpa!
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 PM   #43
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Let's eat grandpa!

Ack!

Don
Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #44
BeccaPrice
Wizard

bookmark suggestions, please?

So my artist made me a nice bookmark design. I'm going to a major SF convention over July 4th weekend, and thought it would be cook to bring a bunch of these to put out on a gimmie table. I'm also going to try to convince our local library to let me do a reading there, and have some of these to hand out. My problem is, what to put on the long blank space? I'm probably going to do KDP Select for the first 3 months, so all I can think of to put on it is "Now at Amazon!" which doesn't take up much space.

husband is doing the research to make me a web site, but ghu only knows when he'll actually get around to it, so I can't put an author web site on it. I'm not sure what else to do to take up some of the space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	booikmark flattened image.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	492.4 KB
ID:	106434  
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #45
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
husband is doing the research to make me a web site, but ghu only knows when he'll actually get around to it, so I can't put an author web site on it.

You can buy the name for the website long before the site exists. If you did that they you could add that onto the book mark now, so long as you had the site up before you gave anyway you would be fine.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote