Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Lots of questions about the Paperwhite

I got a chance to play a bit with a friend's Paperwhite - beautiful, flawless screen - while teaching him how to use Calibre. I'm this >< close to ordering a PW for myself now, but I've still got a lot of questions.

My main stalling point is collections. I have a K3, and use the Calibre Kindle Collections plugin extensively when loading my books on the K3. I think I have to jailbreak the PW to use a collections manager... is this the right jailbreak for that? and will the standard Kindle Collections Plugin work, or is there something different I have to do to automate my kindle collections?

What else will the jailbreak allow me to do? What are the risks of jailbreaking? I've never done something like that before, and am very nervous about trying it and turning my nice new PW into a brick if I do something wrong.

Is there anything else I should know before buying the PW? or about using it after I get it?
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I've never seen the need for collections. I find that a combination of using a Calibre plugboard to add the series name/number to the title of my books, plus the PW's sorting capabilities, makes it very easy to find everything. I have 530 books on my PW at present (it's about half full).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harry, does the PW sort the book currently being read to the top of the list?

If you're reading a series that starts with L, for example, do you have to page half way through your 500+ books to find the next book in the series?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Harry, does the PW sort the book currently being read to the top of the list?
It depends what sort order you use. In "Recent" sort order, yes, it does. But that's not an issue for me, because I only read one book at a time, and the Kindle simply start up on the page I was reading. To be honest the only time I go back to the home page is between books. If you were reading several books at a time, though, then "Recent" sort order would probably work well for you.

Quote:
If you're reading a series that starts with L, for example, do you have to page half way through your 500+ books to find the next book in the series?
I use "Author" sort mode on the home page, so to go (for example) to my Agatha Christie books, I just tap the page indicator at the bottom right to bring up the search page, and enter "ch", then "Go", to go straight to the authors starting with "ch" in the list. That takes me to the start of my Agatha Christie books, within which they're all sorted by series using the plugboard prefix. Eg

Miss Marple 01 - The Murder at the Vicarage
Miss Marple 02 - The Thirteen Problems
Poirot 01 - The Mysterious Affair at Styles
etc.

In both "Author" and "Title" sort mode, you can do this to go directly to any point in the list.

It works well for me, although obviously different things suit different people.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

only problem then would be having to rememer who the authors are.

Actually, I do use collections a lot, because I have so many categories of books - if I want science fiction, I don't want to have to wade through a stack or romance authors to find the book that sparks my erratic attention. Similarly, it's hard for me to remember whether that new author I found is contemporary or historical romance, or romantic suspense.
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I found the jailbreak very easy to apply. You put that on, restart, put on the kindlet, restart, then put in the collections manager, restart. The collections manager is a very nice application. I've also put in the new margin setting app. All of it, pretty easy, thanks to the very hard work of ixtab, and others.

That said, none of that was necessary to my enjoyment of the paperwhite. I just like to tinker around and try new things.

I don't know how the CM will work with the Calibre plugin, though, because I just do them by hand. Pretty easy with the PW touch screen!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard

so the Collections Manager lives on the Paperwhite? that makes things easier, I suppose. I wasn't clear, just looking at the posts about it whether it lived on the kindle or was managed through your computer.

Do you happen to know whether the 7Dragons Notepad app works on the PW? I use that a lot on my k3.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I understand. It sounds as though collections would indeed work best for you.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
BeccaPrice
Wizard

oh - and in a review of the PW on the 7 Dragons site, they say that the PW won't charge from a wall charger, but only through a usb port on a computer. Can that be right?

(apparently my notepad app won't work on the PW. pity.)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No, certainly not true. Charges absolutely fine from a wall charger.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
oh - and in a review of the PW on the 7 Dragons site, they say that the PW won't charge from a wall charger, but only through a usb port on a computer. Can that be right?

(apparently my notepad app won't work on the PW. pity.)
Not true at all. It doesn't come with a wall adapter, that's all.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #12
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
so the Collections Manager lives on the Paperwhite? that makes things easier, I suppose. I wasn't clear, just looking at the posts about it whether it lived on the kindle or was managed through your computer.

Do you happen to know whether the 7Dragons Notepad app works on the PW? I use that a lot on my k3.
Yes it stays on there, and you can open it up and make collections, move things around, any time you want. Then when you exit it, you will find your collections within collections!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I got a chance to play a bit with a friend's Paperwhite - beautiful, flawless screen - while teaching him how to use Calibre. I'm this >< close to ordering a PW for myself now, but I've still got a lot of questions.
Go for it! I know people are on the fence but this the is best Kindle to date. You can always import your collections from your K3. You just have to make sure your sideloaded books are exact copies of the books in the collection. You will need to redownload any Amazon books.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #14
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Not true at all. It doesn't come with a wall adapter, that's all.
And it works fine with the K3 charger.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
And it works fine with the K3 charger.
When I went to buy my PW it offer me the plug adapter( the same one I own from my K3) at half price. $10. I declined. I have plenty of wall chargers I use to charge the Kindles. My LG charger is what I use the most.

I only use my Kindle wall charger on my SGP5 because it's so picky on what it will let you charge with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote