Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
peterhondak
Zealot
peterhondak is on a distinguished road

Device: KoboMini (mine and MIL) KoboVox(returned), sonytouch(mom's),samsung7"
I want a Kindle Fire, can it do this...?

I bought the KoboVox, but I would rather have a Kindle. The reason I went with Kobo was for library books. Who knows how long it will take for libraries in Canada to have Kindle?

but then the VOX doesn't support overdrive books anyhow. I found a way around this, I could download the overdrive app (through the VOX browser onto my VOX).
Can this be done on the Fire?

Also can the Kobo and/or the Sony app be downloaded.
How about Aldiko?
if I can download them I can hopefully read ePub books on the Kindle as well? Is there a way to put files on thru the computer? or do I need to figure out this "cloud" thing.
has anyone tried this?
thanks
peterhondak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
nickinev
Enthusiast
nickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the roughnickinev is a jewel in the rough

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 1, K4, and Kindle Fire
Yes, you can put the Overdrive, Aldiko and Kobo apps on the Fire (they will have to be sideloaded). You can download books to the fire using dropbox and then open them with whatever program you chose.
nickinev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhondak View Post
The VOX doesn't support overdrive books anyhow. I found a way around this, I could download the overdrive app (through the VOX browser onto my VOX).
Can this be done on the Fire?

Also can the Kobo and/or the Sony app be downloaded.
How about Aldiko?
if I can download them I can hopefully read ePub books on the Kindle as well? Is there a way to put files on thru the computer? or do I need to figure out this "cloud" thing.
has anyone tried this?
thanks

The Kindle Fire officially supports OverDrive Media Console. See post # 136 from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...157184&page=10

Other owners have reported that Kobo, Nook, Aldiko etc. work on the Fire. However, you will have to download these outside the Amazon App Store. The Fire can handle DRM books as well with a compatible reader like Mantano.

http://www.businessinsider.com/andro...s-2011-11?op=1

https://plus.google.com/u/1/11739122...ts/T2NEemYAQ5H

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-22-2011 at 12:19 PM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you ever plan on reading outside in sunlight? if you do, stick with the Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
peterhondak
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you ever plan on reading outside in sunlight? if you do, stick with the Kobo.
yes, is the FIRE as hard to read as an ipod or BB screen?

I just read somewhere that I need a US credit card to get aps?

I've had good success with my VOX. (unlike many out there), but I've heard the Kindle brand is better. But I did buy a 2 yr warrenty (I bought from a bigbox store).

So maybe I'll wait. (there's bound to be many changes in the next couple years anyhow)

Last edited by peterhondak; 11-22-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I haven't had much sunlight around here lately to do a test, but the Fire has an adjustable screen brightness that seems to range from Oh Wow Turn that Down!!!! to Squinty eye can barely see it. I turn it up bright for movies and then down to read - no complaints so far in that regard. It'll probably be March until I can comment on outside and sunny reading useability.

I don't know much about the Vox other than all the grumblings I heard about their shipping.

Please note that JWolfe is kind of (in)famous around here for parking himself on the Kindle section and jumping into every thread to trash the line of products. As far as I can tell, he doesn't actually own any of them and I'm not sure he's ever even tried any of them out, he just hates Amazon.

So far I've put Overdrive, nook Android, and Aldiko on my Fire. I doubt I'll mess with the Kobo App or the Sony App because they just aren't my preferred ways to read books. I imagine they probably install just fine though.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's an odd thing to say. The Kobo Vox is a color LCD reader and is as easy or difficult to read in sunlight as the Kindle Fire.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

So far I've put Overdrive, nook Android, and Aldiko on my Fire. I doubt I'll mess with the Kobo App or the Sony App because they just aren't my preferred ways to read books. I imagine they probably install just fine though.
I put the Nook on there too just because I can. Most apps will work fine on the Fire. It's the apps that have features that are missing like microphone, google sync, camera, gps...etc but most apps you wont have a problem with.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:42 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
That's an odd thing to say. The Kobo Vox is a color LCD reader and is as easy or difficult to read in sunlight as the Kindle Fire.
The Kobo uses an AFFS screen which supposedly is better for reading in direct sunlight. Industrial laptops that are required for use in direct sunlight use this screen. However I have not seen the screen or any demos to prove it.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #10
peterhondak
Zealot

what about the credit card thing? for apps do I need one?

and about the screen, it is much easier to read then my BB or ipods. I've been able to see it easily and then I try my BB and I can't.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
peterhondak
Zealot

I just read the small (or not so small print)
they are only shipping the Fire to US addresses, I know there are ways around this, but I'll wait a couple years.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I put the Nook on there too just because I can. Most apps will work fine on the Fire. It's the apps that have features that are missing like microphone, google sync, camera, gps...etc but most apps you wont have a problem with.
Which version of the Nook app did you use.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Which version of the Nook app did you use.

Carol
The latest I think. I got it from SlideME
Old 11-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The latest I think. I got it from SlideME
Thanks. Have you tried the Kobo app?

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Thanks. Have you tried the Kobo app?

Carol
No but it will work as others have. I have Mantano & Nook app installed so far. I'm picky with reader apps. I need a grey background to read on. I do use the Kindle app on the Fire but not at night or I'd never hear the end of it. Mantano is what I use because I can make it super dark.

Hubby still complains even with the Fire. First it was my K3 lighted cover then my book light, then it was my phone and now it's the Fire. I have it set to 0% brightness with 30 percent Screen Filter. Right now I just put a blanket over my head to read in bed.