Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-28-2014, 10:44 PM   #286
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Beta for calibre change to Qt5

FYI, I am not kiwidude and this isn't my plugin. But I'm trying to help out by porting some of the plugins I use regularly while kiwidude is busy.

Attached is a test version that should work for both the existing 1.X calibre and the upcoming 2.X version calibre. 2.x will use PyQt5 which requires changes to virtually all plugins.

This version needs to be tested with the existing calibre.

Brave souls to test with with the beta 2.X version would also be appreciated. Links to the 2.X beta and discussion of the transition (for plugins) can be see at: Attn plugin developers: calibre moving to Qt 5.

I don't actually use this plugin, but I did mine it for ideas and code when I wrote my own plugins. So I thought it appropriate to port it.

So give it a try, let me know how it works.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 08-21-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 PM   #287
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
I don't actually use this plugin, but I did mine it for ideas and code when I wrote my own plugins. So I thought it appropriate to port it.

So give it a try, let me know how it works.
Thanks, it seems to work fine with Calibre version 1.46, 32 bit.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2014, 11:10 PM   #288
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@JimmXinu - seems OK on Windows 7 SP1, 1.46 [64-bit] and 1.203.1 portable. Tested extracting from Mobi, Epub, PDF, and Lit.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:21 PM   #289
obvious
obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.obvious got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Townk - this plugin offers just a simple and crude way to grab an ISBN primarily for metadata gathering purposes. As soon as you download metadata it will overwrite the ISBN again with one of the matches based on what you selected. So it is fairly pointless for most people to try to get too picky about which ISBN they have associated with the book, because of the way ISBN groups and calibre metadata download works.
Hi - Newbie alert

Once the ISBN info is inserted, what's the best way update title's, authors, covers etc using ISBNs as input for a bulk update.

I hope that's clear?

Edit: I made a guess and filtered by isbn:true which highlighted books with ISBN's in green but did not select them.

Edit2: Ah, I created a virtual library based on isbn:true. If I bulk download metadata for that library will the ISBN take priority when downloading metadata?

Last edited by obvious; 08-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.
obvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 11:50 PM   #290
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If the metadata for a book has an ISBN as an identifier, this will be used when getting the rest of the metadata. They might also search on title and author, but the first check is using the ISBN.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #291
Jay Dugger
Jay Dugger began at the beginning.

Could Extract ISBN be used to extract other identifiers: DDC and LCC?
Jay Dugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #292
MetDeFiets
MetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the endMetDeFiets knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Android
ISBN-10 / ISBN-13

Hi KiviDude,
it seems that this is just the plugin I've been looking for

But I found one small problem while testing:
There are some publishers marking their 10 and/or 13 digit ISBN-Numbers as mentioned in the title. Would be very great, if you could extend that in your code. Thank you very much in advance.
MetDeFiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM   #293
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetDeFiets View Post
it seems that this is just the plugin I've been looking for
Moderator Notice
Moved post to the Extract ISBN plugin thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:49 AM   #294
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Dear KiwiDude,
Thanks so much for you plugin which has been adding value to the Calibre project!
However, I have been noticing that some pdf files, for reasons that I ignore, on opening do not show the first page, but another one. I suspect that your plugin may be dependent on that choice, because it does not find respective ISBNs (however well highlighted in the text) on those files. In other words, I can easily go back to the first pages and seek, copy and paste ISBN manually, while your plugin apparently does not.
Could you please check the code and, if confirmed, fix this issue?
Thanks in Advance
RotAnal
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #295
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotAnal View Post
Dear KiwiDude,
Thanks so much for you plugin which has been adding value to the Calibre project!
However, I have been noticing that some pdf files, for reasons that I ignore, on opening do not show the first page, but another one. I suspect that your plugin may be dependent on that choice, because it does not find respective ISBNs (however well highlighted in the text) on those files. In other words, I can easily go back to the first pages and seek, copy and paste ISBN manually, while your plugin apparently does not.
Could you please check the code and, if confirmed, fix this issue?
Thanks in Advance
RotAnal
@RotAnal - there are known limitations with PDFs, did you read the doco in post #1 ==>> [GUI Plugin] Extract ISBN

Quote:
...For PDF formats, scans only the first 10 pages, then if ISBN not found, the last 5 pages in reverse order.
For other formats, scans files at the front, then a number of end files in reverse order before the remainder of the book....
I'm not sure, but if the PDF is composed of images with no underlying text then even though you can see the ISBN the PI may not, it would need OCR capabilities to do that and I suspect it doesn't have such.

BR
Old 10-07-2014, 05:36 AM   #296
RotAnal
Connoisseur
RotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheeseRotAnal can extract oil from cheese

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Dear BetterRed,
thanks for your answer.
Yes I am aware of the limits of the plugin. Of course I don't ask it to read the entire document, just to begin searching from the actual first page even if the pdf itself is preset to open at page xxx.
As regards OCR, I think I have been writing that I can COPY and paste ISBNs manually, therefore I believe it is already OCRed in my pdfs.
ADDENDUM
Anyway, in order to get insight of the trouble, I have been working experimentally. I opened the pdf, entered in properties and reset the opening page to 1. However the plugin failed again to recognise the ISBN. Then it must be something other.
I suspected now that the culprit may be the ISBN-10 ISBN-13 that may confuse the plugin parser. Sorry, I am unaware whether this has been discussed in this forum.

Last edited by RotAnal; 10-07-2014 at 06:04 AM.
RotAnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 AM   #297
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotAnal View Post
Dear BetterRed,
thanks for your answer.
Yes I am aware of the limits of the plugin. Of course I don't ask it to read the entire document, just to begin searching from the actual first page even if the pdf itself is preset to open at page xxx.
As regards OCR, I think I have been writing that I can COPY and paste ISBNs manually, therefore I believe it is already OCRed in my pdfs.
Some viewers have built-in, lightweight OCR, I know mine does.

Is it all PDF's or just some. It works for me at least 90% of the time. What is presetting this "start position" in the book.

BR
Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 AM   #298
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Calibre 2.7 introduced a new way of dealing with Jobs that have end-of-job dialogues. Rather than popping a modal dialogue box that takes control, a notification message is shown (bottom right where the Jobs spinner is) that does not require an immediate response.

See this thread for background Downloading metadata in background

The Count Pages, Modify and Extract ISBN PI's have automagically inherited this new job complete notification scheme... except when Extract ISBN fails to find an ISBN, then I get the 'old style' modal popup dialogue

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-25-2014 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #299
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
I have a lot of PDF books that have the ISBN written in the front like this example, why does Extract ISBN fail on them? Is there any way to get it to read them? Thanks.

ISBN-13 978-1-934329-34-4 ISBN-10 1-934329-34-7
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #300
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I have a lot of PDF books that have the ISBN written in the front like this example, why does Extract ISBN fail on them? Is there any way to get it to read them? Thanks.

ISBN-13 978-1-934329-34-4 ISBN-10 1-934329-34-7
@Vortex - did you check Post #295 above

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-12-2015 at 11:57 PM.