Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM   #301
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is collection support. But it only works manually unless you are jailbroken.
That's a pity.
I miss that so much about my sony, it's just so much more efficient to pick an author you like, pick the series and then pick the title, instead of pick the author you like, browse through pages of all of the books you have from them.
Plus, I'm mentally lazy these days, and I like to find a good series with lots of titles so I can read for a week or two in the same series.
Otherwise looks like a fantastic device, I was thinking of ordering one up soon!
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM   #302
seanyyz
Enthusiast
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
My partner has noticed me looking at the kindle pages and for my birthday is going to get me the new Oasis. With saddle brown cover. So it’s coming. Delivery in early November
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM   #303
knc1
Analog Forever!
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGB View Post
That's a pity.
I miss that so much about my sony, it's just so much more efficient to pick an author you like, pick the series and then pick the title, instead of pick the author you like, browse through pages of all of the books you have from them.
Plus, I'm mentally lazy these days, and I like to find a good series with lots of titles so I can read for a week or two in the same series.
Otherwise looks like a fantastic device, I was thinking of ordering one up soon!
Please do not consider the person you are quoting an authoritative source.
The Kindles do support (single level) collections as shipped.
Those collections can be set either on the device or from your Amazon account "Manage Devices and Content" web page (or both).

There are supplemental add-ins for people who jail break their Kindles, but they are not required, they are only supplemental.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #304
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim, PRS350/650, PB Touch Lux 623, Paperwhite
Quote:
That's a pity.
I agree about how easy it was to work with collections on my Sony - and I do miss that with the Paperwhite. But if you *know* what you want to read (e.g., even if it's a big series), I have gotten used to searching by author to at least bring up a list of her books.

I'm one of those people that loves to load up an ereader with as many books as look interesting. So I still do miss using collections to just search by genre (for example) and pick something I'd forgotten I'd put on there!

If the Pocketbook people would speed up their ebook readers, I'd never by another Kindle. I love the ability to put things in forwards and search by folder list. But the last couple I bought were just too slow, compared to the Paperwhite.

And yes, I'm one of those who caved in and pre-ordered this one. 32GB? OMG - love it love it love it.
FizzyWater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:56 AM   #305
aceflor
Constant Angel
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindel Voyage, Tolino Vision 4 HD, Kobo Aura One
I have to stop lurking on this thread.... so tempting....
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:44 AM   #306
Josieb1
Wizard
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage/PW2 3G, Kobo H20, iPad Mini 4,Samsung S2 8, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm one of those people that loves to load up an ereader with as many books as look interesting. So I still do miss using collections to just search by genre (for example) and pick something I'd forgotten I'd put on there!
I read MM Romance and its a genre that has almost every sub genre you can think of so i load my books into sub genres, Contemporary, Mystery, Thrillers, Scifi etc. It's very easy once you get started. I have to sort DH's collections as well, he only reads action or war, so he has collections like WW2 Fiction Air, Fiction Sea etc and the same for Non Fiction. With collections you can do pretty much what you want.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24 AM   #307
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
That's a pity.
Collections on Kobo Readers work just like they did with Sony. You can easily manage collections with Kobo using Calibre just like you did with Sony. So if you do want easier eBook management, go for a Kobo. And you can get a 6.8" or 7.8" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #308
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You'd need a computer with USB-C. Do you have one? Most of the time people will download these audiobooks via WiFi and that's the limiting factor, not the type of USB port. Kindle's do not have 802.11ac and that would make it faster for more people than a USB-C port.
USB-C has a standard connector on the other end of the cable.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:16 PM   #309
selianth
selianth began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As much as I think I would LOVE the new Oasis, I'm waiting until they're actually released. I preordered both the Voyage and last year's Oasis for launch day, so usually I'm one of those impatient types, but this time I'm just concerned enough about the size increase to wait. More screen space sounds great, but I'm worried about it fitting into certain bags/pouches that I rely on when I travel. I plan to head to a Best Buy store (pretty sure they usually have demo models there) to check them out in November.

But it certainly checks all the other boxes.. waterproof.. battery fully in the Kindle instead of the case.. stand-up cover (I never realized how much I would miss that origami cover from the Voyage...). And I'll be happy getting the cheapest version. Must.. not.. click.. yet...
selianth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:35 PM   #310
vrf
Zealot
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by selianth View Post
I'm worried about it fitting into certain bags/pouches that I rely on when I travel. I plan to head to a Best Buy store (pretty sure they usually have demo models there) to check them out in November.
They may not let you put that floor model in your bag...

Also, the Best Buys I've seen only have the basic Kindle and the Paperwhite on display.

I made a little folded-paper mockup from the listed dimensions. Not too big at all for me. The additional display room will be very nice for a slightly larger font.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:56 PM   #311
Sarrod
Sarrod began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
USB-C has a standard connector on the other end of the cable.

Dale
That is not necessarily true I'm afraid. It's possible, but the used connector is independent of the USB standard. For fast data transfer, you would need USB3.1, but the connector doesn't matter. For fast charging, you need the type C connector on both ends of the cable, because afaik the type A or 'standard' USB connector on PC's as you call it, is limited to 1.5 A.

So while you could use a USB type C to type A cable to charge a mobile device from your PC, it probably wouldn't charge any faster than an old micro usb type B to type A cable.
Sarrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:13 PM   #312
Kuram
Kuram began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
My excitement was tempered by the 7 inch screen rather than a 8. But I'm back on the wagon after reading a post over at the e-reader blog. Basically that the Oasis has comparable actual text screen space as the 8 inch KAO since the latter has large header and footer footprints. So that about negates the biggest positive for moving to Kobo. The font and accessibility updates also negates my complaints about the PW's limited screen/reading options.

Since I'm an avowed non-early adopter, I'll wait for actual user reviews. I don't mind waiting if it means giving time to Amazon to iron out the kinks.
That header/footer space can be removed by enabling the fullscreen setting, and honestly given that, the color temperature feature, the overall bigger size, and the much cheaper price... I'm having an incredibly difficult time justifying the new Oasis.

I currently use PW1. The only reason I would lean towards the Kindle is the document sync, but that's not worth 150 bucks... although the oasis form factor is pretty cool too, I'm not an ultra-portable reader person. I usually leave my kindle home.
Kuram is offline   Reply With Quote