Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Spheres
Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Touch
2.0 update fails

Hi, I already asked the same in the 2.0 release thread, but it got buried.

The v2.0 firmware update is failing for me. I just made a factory reset before to avoid possible problems. Now, when Kobo Desktop (v3.0, ob Windows XP SP3) trys to update the firmware, the usb connection suddenly drops and Kobo Desktop is complaining about the device being full (device information shows 1309mb free space before and after, like it should be an "fresh" Kobo, btw).
After pulling the usb cable out, the Kobo resets and boots into 1.9.12.
I already reinstalled Kobo Dektop, reseted the Kobo again and tried a different usb port, but that didn't change anything.
What can I do about this? It is now kind of stuck at 1.9.12.
Spheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
nila
nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.nila is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: none
By the sounds of that I'd say call Kobo support, might be faulty.
nila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Spheres, does the Kobo Touch show as connected in "My Computer" (maybe finder in Mac, I'm not a Mac user)?
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Spheres
Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.Spheres is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Spheres, does the Kobo Touch show as connected in "My Computer" (maybe finder in Mac, I'm not a Mac user)?
Yes, everything regarding the connection seemed to work fine so far. When the Kobo as rebooted/recovered from the failed update, I can use it without any problems. I manually upgraded to 1.9.17 flawlessly now and it works like it did before.

What I don't understand: Isn't Kobo Desktop supposed to just copy over the files needed into the .kobo directory while the actual update takes place when the kobo is disconnected? Seems to me that something's wrong with the new Kobo Desktop version...

I wrote an email to the support team, maybe they give me a link to the firmware so I can try to upgrade manually, like I successfully did with the 1.9.17...
Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One time in the distant past I had a problem similar to yours. The old version of the desktop did not completely uninstall, even after I did a reboot of the computer. I used a 3rd party cleaner to fix it up--don't remember which one as it was a few years back.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Spheres

Ok, this sounds promising. I'm gonna try this out tonight!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheres View Post
Hi, I already asked the same in the 2.0 release thread, but it got buried.

The v2.0 firmware update is failing for me. I just made a factory reset before to avoid possible problems. Now, when Kobo Desktop (v3.0, ob Windows XP SP3) trys to update the firmware, the usb connection suddenly drops and Kobo Desktop is complaining about the device being full (device information shows 1309mb free space before and after, like it should be an "fresh" Kobo, btw).
After pulling the usb cable out, the Kobo resets and boots into 1.9.12.
I already reinstalled Kobo Dektop, reseted the Kobo again and tried a different usb port, but that didn't change anything.
What can I do about this? It is now kind of stuck at 1.9.12.
I had an issue with the update as well. It just seemed to process for ever... and not boot into the system. Turns out its doing what it is supposed to do and the first time boot after update is slower for whatever reason. So when I waited instead of being in a hurry it all booted fine. I did notice that the update killed all my short list book tags and I have to sort through them again to set them up.

Regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheres View Post
Ok, this sounds promising. I'm gonna try this out tonight!
Take a look at this Lifehacker article for some ideas.
http://lifehacker.com/5829096/the-be...er-for-windows
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I had an issue with the update as well. It just seemed to process for ever... and not boot into the system. Turns out its doing what it is supposed to do and the first time boot after update is slower for whatever reason. So when I waited instead of being in a hurry it all booted fine. I did notice that the update killed all my short list book tags and I have to sort through them again to set them up.

Regards

JAck
Mine won't create Shelves. I hoped I might jog it into action by making a Shortlist, but it isn't working.

Like you Jack, I had to redo the Shortlist, but it isn't holding that information either, ie I touch the heart, it puts up a notice saying Added to Shortlist or words to that effect, I go to the next page of the Library to do another book, then turn back and the highlighted heart is back to being blank.

I think I shall have to do a Factory reset.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Mine won't create Shelves. I hoped I might jog it into action by making a Shortlist, but it isn't working.

Like you Jack, I had to redo the Shortlist, but it isn't holding that information either, ie I touch the heart, it puts up a notice saying Added to Shortlist or words to that effect, I go to the next page of the Library to do another book, then turn back and the highlighted heart is back to being blank.

I think I shall have to do a Factory reset.
Try just logging out and back into your account on the device if you haven't reset already. Slightly less work and it's helped a few with this problem.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
Spheres

Yes! Got it to work!

Well, admittedly, I found a different but quite obvious solution: I used the firmware zip Kobo Desktop downloaded (murg mentioned the path here), copied the contents over to the .kobo directory and - voilà! - the KT updated cleanly. The only thing I had to do though, was to remove all my books I had copied using 1.9.17 before and to copy them over with Calibre again, otherwise opening a book would lead to a crash.

Whatever, so far, everything works like charm, it seems to be more speedy and responsive and some mistakes I had with books before (like ignored dropcaps at chapter beginnings) are gone!
Old 07-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Try just logging out and back into your account on the device if you haven't reset already. Slightly less work and it's helped a few with this problem.
Many thanks for this - it worked.

For those with the same problem who don't know what this involves (I didn't), you go into Settings and Account, and hit Sign Out. You are then prompted to attach the KT to the computer and it goes through the process again - in my case, successfully this time.

You lose your bookmarks and whether a book is Finished, but that's easier to fix than reloading everything from scratch.

Thanks again, robko.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Update in case anyone reads this: I found the instructions for factory reset in another thread. It looks like there are a lot of issues with the 2.0 release.

Original post:
I logged out of my device and now it wants me to do a device setup e.g goto Kobosetup.com.. etc. I would be fine with that except when I plug it into the computer via usb the computer sees it but Kobo desktop does not. If I try to browse the device in windows explorer I get an I/O error. Is there anyway to do a reset back to default just using the hardware buttons? (It no longer boots to the main screen just the "Go to Kobosetup.com" screen so I can't access factory reset there.

Last edited by TheJohnNewton; 07-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote