Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: December 2011 MobileRead Book Club Vote (Classics)
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 4 5.06%
The Iliad by Homer 7 8.86%
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens 13 16.46%
The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie 9 11.39%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 2 2.53%
Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 2 2.53%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 12 15.19%
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad 10 12.66%
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller 11 13.92%
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #136
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Maybe Jon means that each book's ToC "should" be in the main ToC as a sublevel? (Just guessing, could be totally wrong!)

I have no problem whatsoever with the way it's done now (each book's ToC is in the beginning of the book) and I would not call it "broken".

I am so grateful to people that do all this work for the rest of us!! THANK YOU!!!!
Yes, you are correct.

The ePub's ToC only has the highest level of the ToC. Under each title, it should have the next level be all the chapters. We also don't need the Mobipocket ToC pages as well once the ePub ToC is fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I'm new to the Kindle and will have to check into what "chapter skip" is. [EDIT: Ah, got it. I just had never called it "chapter skip".]

Jon, if there is a problem you have noted, it would be much more helpful if you could send a PM to HarryT about this. Harry takes pride in his work and if there is a problem someone notes, he is very interested in how and what.

It works for me also.
I did post in the thread for the ePub. So I think eventually Harry will see it there. I think when Harry made it, he made it with a Mobipocket mentality and not an ePub mentality.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #138
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did post in the thread for the ePub. So I think eventually Harry will see it there. I think when Harry made it, he made it with a Mobipocket mentality and not an ePub mentality.
Thank you, Jon, but I believe the quickest way to have brought this to Harry's attention would have been a PM with your opinion. As you saw, there are others of us who are perfectly fine with how it is and are just grateful that someone has taken the time to make it available for us. You know how much goes on and has probably doubled, tripled, or more. In fact, I would like to ask your help on something and will send you a PM about this
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #139
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Finished the book and waiting for the discussion thread.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #140
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Finished the book and waiting for the discussion thread.
How does it turn out?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:33 PM   #141
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
How does it turn out?
Hey! No spoilers allowed in this thread! Do you want to ruin the ending for the rest of us?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #142
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
How does it turn out?
Well, you see...

Spoiler:
After the thing with the stuff happens, the person with the whatchmacallit does something and then Christmas Carols!!!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #143
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Well, you see...

Spoiler:
After the thing with the stuff happens, the person with the whatchmacallit does something and then Christmas Carols!!!
Well, now there's no reason to read the book!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #144
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, now there's no reason to read the book!
Forget the book, it doesn't have Muppets. Watch the movie version that's chock full of Muppets and you'll have a great time even if you know how it ends.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM   #145
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Along with the below links to the ePub and mobi versions of this month's winner, we have a thread in the Deals Forum by member Loosheesh that lists A Christmas Carol audiobook for free from Christianaudio books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
The first post of this thread has links to the books, but we do have an omnibus edition of 5 books by Dickens, that was uploaded by HarryT.

mobi/prc and ePub

The five books are:

A Christmas Carol (1843)
The Chimes (1844)
The Cricket on the Hearth (1845)
The Battle of Life (1846)
The Haunted Man (1848)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #146
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have to agree that The Muppets version is quite entertaining. I did read the story last week though.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #147
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've just picked up Lost by Gregory Maguire from library. It includes A Christmas Carol. So I'll get to reading this month's selection starting near the end of the week.

Quote:
E-book extras: The full text of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens; reading group guide.

Winifred Rudge, a bemused writer struggling to get beyond the runaway success of her mass-market astrology book, travels to London to jump-start her new novel about a woman who is being haunted by the ghost of Jack the Ripper. Upon her arrival, she finds that her stepcousin and old friend John Comestor has disappeared, and a ghostly presence seems to have taken over his home. Is the spirit Winnie's great-great-grandfather, who, family legend claims, was Charles Dickens's childhood inspiration for Ebenezer Scrooge? Could it be the ghostly remains of Jack the Ripper? Or a phantasm derived from a more arcane and insidious origin? Winnie begins to investigate and finds herself the unwilling audience for a drama of specters and shades—some from her family's peculiar history and some from her own unvanquished past.

In the spirit of A. S. Byatt's Possession, with dark echoing overtones of A Christmas Carol, Lost presents a rich fictional world that will enrapture its readers.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:42 AM   #148
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Looks like I'm going to be late with this months selection. Every time I try to read, something else pops up, plus, I'm in the middle of training to become a substitute teacher. We have an online course, which I'm taking now, and then I'll have additional training at the district office once this online course is done.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #149
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Don't sweat it, Nyssa. I'll delay reading it for another week.

I read A Canticle for Leibowitz as soon as it was chosen and waited a month for the discussion thread to begin. Lesson learned.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 PM   #150
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I downloaded the free version from the library here and it's good as far as I read, but I've ended up ordering "The Annotated Christmas Carol" to read (it's only in paper as far as I can tell).

I'm only a little ways into the introduction so far but it's quite interesting. For instance, I didn't know that at the time, Christmas as a fun, generous holiday had been on the wane because of Puritan dislike of its similarities to a pagan Roman holiday, to the point that workers were not even let off for Christmas. And that "A Christmas Carol" may have single-handedly revived the tradition that is continued today.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, december 2011, mobileread book club, poll, vote