Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 03:58 AM   #391
Ppaa
Ppaa began at the beginning.

Device: Android smartphone
Plugin works with epub and pdf converted to epub. But I have very little epub and conversion is not the best option. I have a standard defender. Disabling it did not affect the error.

This is the first time I use the plugin and calibre.

Starting job: Extract ISBN for 1 books
================================================== =
Title: Hacker and Moore's Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynecology
Format: EPUB
Path: \\192.168.1.3\NASpace\Recipe\Library\Neville F. Hacker\Hacker and Moore's Essentials of Ob (123)\Hacker and Moore's Essentials o - Neville F. Hacker.epub
---------------------------------------------------
Scanning first 10, then last 5, then remaining 68 files
Invalid ISBN match: 19103-2899
Valid ISBN13: 9781416059400
Valid ISBN13: 9780808924166
Invalid ISBN match: 215 239 3804
Valid ISBN10: 1865843830
Invalid ISBN match: 1865 853333
Valid ISBN13: 9781416059400
Invalid ISBN match: 22 2008025860
Invalid ISBN match: 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
Scan time: 3.90 secs
The isbn was found in 3.90 secs
Identical ISBN extracted of: 9781416059400
Scan complete, with 0 failures
Ppaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:27 AM   #392
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ppaa View Post
Plugin works with epub and pdf converted to epub. But I have very little epub and conversion is not the best option. I have a standard defender. Disabling it did not affect the error.

This is the first time I use the plugin and calibre.
OK, that clears up that the plugin works and it isn't a more general problem. The code that does the text extraction from the PDF is fairly old and there may be a better way to do it now. Though I cannot see a reason why it works for me, but, not you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:43 AM   #393
Ppaa

How else can you extract isbn from pdf?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:58 AM   #394
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How else can you extract isbn from pdf?
Not that I know of. I'm not sure how many people actually use this plugin. Personally, I download metadata for my books, and that can get the ISBN if one is available. Otherwise, I don't worry about it.

If the metadata download doesn't work, the brute force method would be to convert it to epub, run the plugin and then delete the epubs. That should work, but will take time.

I do plan to have a look at it, but, I don't know when. As it is a plugin I don't used, it isn't a high priority for me. If there is someone else who wants to look...
Old 10-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #395
Ppaa

Perhaps this will help.

Title: Management Of High-Risk Pregnancy An Evidence-Based Approach Queenan
Format: PDF
Path: \\192.168.1.3\NASpace\Recipe\Library\2007\Manageme nt Of High-Risk Pregnancy A (544)\Management Of High-Risk Pregnan - 2007.pdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 308, in main
File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.pdf", line 90, in get_isbn
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'scanner' referenced before assignment

Failed to extract ISBN
Old 10-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #396
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Perhaps this will help.

Title: Management Of High-Risk Pregnancy An Evidence-Based Approach Queenan
Path: \\192.168.1.3\NASpace\Recipe\Library\2007\Manageme nt Of High-Risk Pregnancy A (544)\Management Of High-Risk Pregnan - 2007.pdf
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 308, in main
File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.pdf", line 90, in get_isbn

Failed to extract ISBN
You should stop using an IP address and use a local library. Maybe the IP address sis causing your problems.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #397
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You should stop using an IP address and use a local library. Maybe the IP address sis causing your problems.
I'd love to know why you think that. Especially as @Ppaa has demonstrated the problem with a book in a library on the local disk.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:04 AM   #398
Ppaa

Title: Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every Woman with Epilepsy Should Know Chillemi
Path: C:\Users\magio\Documents\Library\2006\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every (1)\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What E - 2006.pdf
Exception when scanning for ISBN: not all arguments converted during string formatting
Failed to extract ISBN
Scan complete, with 1 failures
Old 10-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #399
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Title: Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every Woman with Epilepsy Should Know Chillemi
Path: C:\Users\magio\Documents\Library\2006\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What Every (1)\Epilepsy and Pregnancy - What E - 2006.pdf
Exception when scanning for ISBN: not all arguments converted during string formatting
Failed to extract ISBN
I think it is going to fail for all of you PDFs. Unless the 5.1.1 beta solves it, it is going to have to wait until I have some time to look at it. Or someone else interested in it steps in.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 AM   #400
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I think it is going to fail for all of you PDFs. Unless the 5.1.1 beta solves it, it is going to have to wait until I have some time to look at it. Or someone else interested in it steps in.
I tried it with the idea of "taking a look at it". It doesn't fail on V5.1 (portable) or V5.1.1 (64 bit). It successfully found the ISBN in the PDF.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:31 AM   #401
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I tried it with the idea of "taking a look at it". It doesn't fail on V5.1 (portable) or V5.1.1 (64 bit). It successfully found the ISBN in the PDF.
I haven't been able to get it to fail on any version. That makes it hard to debug. I did follow the code down and I can see there is a difference in how pdftohtml is used compared to how it is used when doing a conversion. But, that might just be coding style or because the desired results are different. I haven't had a chance to study it. Or a lot of desire to.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:44 PM   #402
erymaxuk
erymaxuk began at the beginning.

Device: jlalik14@gmail.com
extractin ISBN(eBook)

Hi, I would be grateful for an advise regarding extract ISBN. The problem, plugin extract ISBN from ISBN xxxxxxx (from the book).Using this ISBN, metadata downloader cannot find the book. If I manually insert ISBN xxxxxxxxx (ebook) or eISBN from the book, metadata find it with no problem. I have many books where are 2 ISBNs, ISBN and ISBN(ebook). Is there any way to modify the plugin to read ISBN(ebook)number instaed of just the ISBNnumber? THanks in advance.
erymaxuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #403
feuille
Connoisseur
feuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enoughfeuille will become famous soon enough

Device: android smartphone + tablet
PDF and "Exception when scanning for ISBN: not all arguments converted..."

Same error message here, so I played around with the plugin code.

As I found out, this message is just the tip of the iceberg.

To avoid this error message, the line
log.error('Exception when scanning for ISBN:', e)
in extract_threaded() in jobs.py should be changed to
log.error('Exception when scanning for ISBN: {}: {}'.format(type(e).__name__, e))
or
log.error(e.__traceback__)
or similar to avoid the formatting error message.

Next I came across:

Path: E:\Libraries\Literature\Theodor Fontane\Unterm Birnbaum (264)\ Unterm Birnbaum - Theodor Fontane.pdf
WorkerError: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 300, in main
File "calibre_plugins.extract_isbn.pdf", line 92, in get_isbn

Failed to run pdfinfo/pdftohtml
Error in jobs.py:
Exception when scanning for ISBN:

Failed to extract ISBN

So in pdf.py immediately after def get_isbn(output_dir, pdf_name, log=None): I added the line
scanner = BookScanner(log)

The next step was:

Title: Unterm Birnbaum.
Path: E:\Bibliotheken\Literatur\Theodor Fontane\Unterm Birnbaum (264)\Unterm Birnbaum - Theodor Fontane.pdf
pdfinfo returned no UTF-8 data

Scan time: 0.64 secs
The scan failed to find an isbn in 0.64 secs
Failed to extract ISBN

The error message pdfinfo returned no UTF-8 data comes from get_page_count() in pdf.py

In this method, the line
raw = raw.decode('utf-8')
should be made fault tolerant:
raw = raw.decode('utf-8', error='replace')

With these changes, ISBN extraction for PDF files is now running smoothly for me!
feuille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:50 PM   #404
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erymaxuk View Post
Hi, I would be grateful for an advise regarding extract ISBN. The problem, plugin extract ISBN from ISBN xxxxxxx (from the book).Using this ISBN, metadata downloader cannot find the book. If I manually insert ISBN xxxxxxxxx (ebook) or eISBN from the book, metadata find it with no problem. I have many books where are 2 ISBNs, ISBN and ISBN(ebook). Is there any way to modify the plugin to read ISBN(ebook)number instaed of just the ISBNnumber? THanks in advance.
That isn't strictly a problem of this plugin. The plugin searches for an ISBN, if it finds one, it uses it. If that ISBN does not exist in the metadata source you are using, that is more a problem of the metadata source. Or that the ISBN found was (for want of a better term) a false positive.

Of course, it could be done. But, the plugin just uses regex to find the possibilities and then validates what was found. Adding more checks would complicate that search. But, it isn't something I am interested in doing. I don't use the plugin, and only made changes to fix it for calibre 5. If anyone wants to add this, please do so.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:34 PM   #405
Freakeao
Connoisseur
Freakeao began at the beginning.

Device: none
How about an option to use the last ISBN found instead of the first? ebook ISBNs seem to be listed last pretty frequently and those are the ones I prefer.

Thanks.
Freakeao is offline   Reply With Quote