Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #1
cager
Connoisseur
cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: none
Portable Problems with releasing stick

Set up:

Windows 10.0.15063
Calibre Portable 3.7
USB 3 Memory stick

I am having a problem with Calibre Portable running on a USB memory stick.
After I have accessed Calibre, then closed it down and tried to stop the USB Stick to remove it, the Memory stick is reported as still being used , "do not remove".

This happens on more than one computer.

A friend has a program for closing reluctant memory sticks. This shows that the processes/programs tying up the stick are:

system\...\calibre.exe and
system\...\calibre-parallel

I cannot find the related processes/app in Windows Task Manager to close them that way.

Any suggestions on how to stop this happening or which processes to halt will be appreciated.
cager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think this might be the Windows Indexer.
I frequently have (but not always ) a similar occurrence on W7 with a LO Calc spreadsheet.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
+1
The Windows Indexer is sometimes a real pain - especially if you have storage with big amounts of files and a lot of them are turning around.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cager - what does Process Explorer report - see ==>> How to check what process is your holding external device - there's a link in that post to the Process Explorer page at MS.

@theducks - if the Windows Search Indexer had a file open, utilities would be reporting 'searchindexer.exe' not 'calibre.exe' or 'calibre-parallel.exe'. When I have this problem it is usually an instance of explorer.exe that is holding the 'lock' on the drive, if I wait a minute or two I can usually eject the drive.

Windows Indexer did have its problems (performance, reliability, etc) in its early days - it shipped first in NT 4.0, but it's been improved markedly in the 20+ years since. IMO it was pretty good in Vista, better in 7, and in Win 10 it's very good. I've had it indexing my calibre libraries since March 2012 (Win 7 and 10), with no adverse affects on calibre performance, functionality, reliability or otherwise - caveat, my libraries are on SATA HDD drives.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
cager
Connoisseur
cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.cager 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Thanks

Thank you for your replies.

I suspect it is not an indexer problem because I have restricted the indexer to only a few folders after a lot of problems on a previous version of Whine 10.

But, Sod's Law, the release of the Stick is now working as it should.

But, tomorrow is another day.

cager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cager - Next time it happens, and if 'something' claims calibre.exe is holding the device open, try running this -- calibre --shutdown-running-calibre -- at the command line.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre portable, windows 10