Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 AM   #1
Anonymouslemming
Anonymouslemming began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Any way to buy books from Amazon.com ?

Hi all,

I'm considering moving from my Sony PRS-505 to a kindle due to the limited number of available books that I'm interested in. However, the Kindle seems to be equally limited here in the UK still. I had a walk through Foyles the other day and picked 10 books I'd like to take on vacation with me, but of those, only 2 were available on Amazon.co.uk.

Is there any way for me as a UK resident to buy from Amazon.com ?

I'm looking at an example at http://www.amazon.com/Going-Under-Qu...tag=inkmesh-20 but it says that I can't buy this, and inkmesh doesn't show any other sources for it.

I'm more than happy to pay money for books, but I'm getting more and more frustrated that publishers won't take my money. I'm really sick of carrying around a £150 paperweight because no-one wants to sell me what I want to read
Anonymouslemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It's only available on wood at amazon.co.uk (but you probably already know this) ... there is an option to tell the publisher you want a kindle copy .... [but that may take a wee while].
not available according to addall either ....

looks like you're stumped .... welcome to Geographic Restriction !

(no doubt there are ways to kid amazon.com that you are in the US - I have no experience, but someone may)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
Anonymouslemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It's only available on wood at amazon.co.uk (but you probably already know this) ... there is an option to tell the publisher you want a kindle copy .... [but that may take a wee while].
not available according to addall either ....

looks like you're stumped .... welcome to Geographic Restriction !

(no doubt there are ways to kid amazon.com that you are in the US - I have no experience, but someone may)
Thanks for the response. Sadly, I'm fairly familiar with the formats available, but it's hard to justify still buying paper books and cluttering up the tiny house to my wife when I spent so much on the e-reader.

It's funny, but I never thought buying an e-reader would make me read _less_
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Set up a mailbox in the States and then you have a U.S. address. I don't think they check IP address so you should be fine in that regard. Or, you could just fake an address in the U.S. though you end up on more questionable legal ground there.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #5
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
Set up a mailbox in the States and then you have a U.S. address. I don't think they check IP address so you should be fine in that regard. Or, you could just fake an address in the U.S. though you end up on more questionable legal ground there.
No, Amazon do check your IP address. Otherwise you will get "unconfirmed country" page. I can buy books from Amazon.com (even though I'm from Indonesia) with changing my address to American one, and then use credit card to purchase myself a gift card. And then before 1 click buy, i just activate hotspot shield.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
Anonymouslemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
No, Amazon do check your IP address. Otherwise you will get "unconfirmed country" page. I can buy books from Amazon.com (even though I'm from Indonesia) with changing my address to American one, and then use credit card to purchase myself a gift card. And then before 1 click buy, i just activate hotspot shield.
Do you use your Indonesian credit card to buy the gift card? Do you lose any money by doing it that way, or do you get the full amount to spend?

Also, does this work with eBooks as well as dead-tree books ?

Thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouslemming View Post
Hi all,

I'm considering moving from my Sony PRS-505 to a kindle due to the limited number of available books that I'm interested in. However, the Kindle seems to be equally limited here in the UK still. I had a walk through Foyles the other day and picked 10 books I'd like to take on vacation with me, but of those, only 2 were available on Amazon.co.uk.

Is there any way for me as a UK resident to buy from Amazon.com ?
Beware of what you wish for. We in the UK very often pay significantly lower prices for Amazon eBooks than people in the US do, even if the available selection isn't as large.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Jonimeesermann
Connoisseur
Jonimeesermann began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e71, Ipod Touch, Sony PRS 300
Quote:
Do you use your Indonesian credit card to buy the gift card? Do you lose any money by doing it that way, or do you get the full amount to spend?

Also, does this work with eBooks as well as dead-tree books ?

Thanks!
Yes.
No.

Not sure, I only use it to buy ebook, and then strip the bloody drm to read it in my sony.
Jonimeesermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Anonymouslemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimeesermann View Post
Yes.
No.

Not sure, I only use it to buy ebook, and then strip the bloody drm to read it in my sony.
You've made my day, thanks!
Old 09-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Anonymouslemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Beware of what you wish for. We in the UK very often pay significantly lower prices for Amazon eBooks than people in the US do, even if the available selection isn't as large.
I'm going to continue to wish for this... Right now, my choices are
1. Pay more than we would pay in the UK IFF we could get the product
2. Go without
3. Violate copyrights

I really don't like options 2 or 3, so I'll happily pay the US prices.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #11
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I'm going to continue to wish for this... Right now, my choices are
1. Pay more than we would pay in the UK IFF we could get the product
2. Go without
3. Violate copyrights

I really don't like options 2 or 3, so I'll happily pay the US prices.

interesting observation, you don't like 3. but are happy enough to do 1.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Anonymouslemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
interesting observation, you don't like 3. but are happy enough to do 1.
Maybe I should have just changed 3 to read 'Download books for free from the Internet'.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If I may ask, why Amazon? Do you just not like ePub or are the books you want unavailable in ePub also?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #14
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
If I may ask, why Amazon? Do you just not like ePub or are the books you want unavailable in ePub also?
BTW, how's about telling the titles and descriptions? I'm always looking for recommendations. You know, unless it is private, such as Sex Vampires On Meth or something like that.

Edit: Oops! I see it in the OP. It's too too too early still. GIMME COFFEE!

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-01-2010 at 09:42 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #15
Anonymouslemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
ePub is great, but none of the books I want are available in that format only. Most of the stuff I've looked for, if available at all, is only available from Amazon.com.