Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What drove you choice of devices?
The device itself 58 50.88%
The availability of books I wanted to read 11 9.65%
A combination 45 39.47%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-14-2017, 06:56 PM   #76
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Personally, I've never seen the problem with connecting a reader to a computer. Plug cable into reader, plug other end in to computer, copy/paste ebooks over, eject and unplug. Boom, done!

Or, emailing to Kindle ... Open browser, go to webmail, log in, hit compose, hit attach, browse computer for the file, wait for file to upload, when ready, attach, click send, log out of webmail, close browser. THEN, wait, you aren't done yet, because you still have to connect Kindle to WiFi and sync and disconnect. Only to get a book that doesn't have the cover show up because it's considered a personal document as opposed to a book....
If you're buying from the Kindle store, the only step is clicking the book in the store on your Kindle. That beats either of those other options in the ease department by a mile.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:46 AM   #77
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Besides the direct library access I mentioned in my earlier post, I also chose a Sony reader as it was narrower and easier to hold than others I looked at. At the time, large US stores like Best Buy and Target still had ereaders from several manufacturers on display in stores where you could easily compare.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #78
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I bought my first device (Palm) because I wanted a device that had alarms and could keep a database of my paper books and then I discovered I could convert webpages and get free gutenburg and baen books to read on it.

My current devices were also bought for more purposes then just reading books (Ipod touch to replace my palm and a small tablet) even though I probably spend more time reading than anything else. It's not that I'm opposed to having a dedicated device for reading but I can't bring myself to buy another device for myself when what I have is more than good enough. And I like the fact that I'm not walled into any particular garden even without removing DRM (although my desire to have my books organized in one spot and use the reader apps of my choice means that I regularly remove DRM anyways).
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #79
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
For me, it was primarily about book availability. Like others, I started with a Palm Pilot somewhere around 1998. My first dedicated ereader was a Sony 500 - really lovely. However, I was very frustrated by the gaps in Sony’s bookstore in Canada at that time. So ordered a kindle keyboard from the States - very expensive - and found myself in book heaven. I did try one of the first kobos touches - it still works fine. I bought from both companies for a little while, but settled on Amazon, because of its broader library. I’ve continued with the US bookstore, though the Cdn dollar has lost ground against the US $. I’ve never had a single problem with any of my kindles. Great device, lots of books, easy to use.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:23 AM   #80
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I voted for the device itself, because I buy books from very many sources and Calibre is always there for conversion to required format.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2017, 11:48 AM   #81
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If you consider my first e-reader.

I had choice between sony e-reader ( read only sony format, and very limited book availability outside US) and the cybook gen 3, that read mobi. Back then, mobipocket would sell outside US. So I went foe the gen 3.

Then the french publishers wakes up. Oh ? E-books ? So I went for ePub, to get the french books as well. (No amazon in France back then). While the US shop where still out for reach for me, UK shops where ePubs.
And then I stayed with ePubs.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 12:29 PM   #82
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I find micro usb plugs and ports to be difficult to see and use, especially if it’s dark in the room. Avoiding that is one reason I like the ability to email books to my Kindle. The lack of that option was the one thing I didn’t like about my Kobo. The port always seemed a little hinky and I worried I was going to break it.

It would be great if all devices had ports that were like the iOS devices with the lightening connectors. Not having to worry about the plug being the wrong way is a great feature.

I wouldn't mind USB-C on my readers, I agree, it's a pain having to check plug orientation! I love USB-C on my phone and tablets!

However, considering I'm always testing ePubs and plugging my Kobos in and out frequently, no issues yet with the port after 3 years on Kobo Aura HD. In fact, I've not had a port fail yet on any brand reader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote