Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
Alcohol
Alcohol began at the beginning.

Import Author and Title from Filename & Cover from File

Good morning all.. I'm looking for a little help please

BTW before posting this 'help' request I found a similar thread @ http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=201622 but it's unfortunately not quite what I'm looking for - and a little out of date with the arrival of v3

OK - so I recently inherited a large .epub library which has the filenames set up as:

<title> - <author>.epub

For Example:

Absolute Power - David Baldacci.epub
Amos Decker 01 - Memory Man - David Baldacci.epub
Amos Decker 02 - The Last Mile - David Baldacci.epub
Camel Club 01 - The Camel Club - David Baldacci.epub
Camel Club 02 - The Collectors - David Baldacci.epub
Camel Club 03 - Stone Cold - David Baldacci.epub
John Puller 01 - Zero Day - David Baldacci.epub
John Puller 02 - The Forgotten - David Baldacci.epub
Last Man Standing - David Baldacci.epub

As you can see, the series is included as part of the filename - which I actually quite like - and this series information is either not included or wrong within the file itself (and a huge pain to add!)

I can easily add books using the 'filename' option to get exactly the <title> - <author> info that I want - and although it works well, this option (afaik) does not allow for picking up any other tags or covers

Adding the cover back after using the 'filename' option (i.e. no covers) is also not really a problem using 'Change Cover - Set from ebook files', although this is an additional step

The help I'm looking for here is in finding an easy way to import books using the filename for author and title - but keeping all the other tags as currently on the file (cover, published date, comments, etc...)

I did note that in an old post Kovid wrote "...The only case I've ever heard of for doing this is getting the metadata from the filename and the cover from inside the file, which calibre does support." And yes, that's what I'm doing using the multi-step method above - but can anyone point me in the direction of a 'one-click' solution, plugin or script to help?

I've included some attachments for those who may not be familiar with the 'importing from filename' and 'adding covers from ebook' options

Thanks

Allan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	157351   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	157352   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	157353   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	157354  
Alcohol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
Alcohol

No thoughts anyone?
Advert
Old 06-23-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Since the files have the same pattern, why not use Bulk Mode Metadata edit
to 'move' the pieces to their proper location

Oop! forgot Search and replace (tab)

Last edited by theducks; 06-23-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: oops
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Since the files have the same pattern, why not use Bulk Mode Metadata edit
to 'move' the pieces to their proper location

Oop! forgot Search and replace (tab)
Thanks Ducks - I'll be having a play a bit later...

Tags
author, cover, filename, import, title