Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #1
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Sigil-0.9.1 Released

Sigil 0.9.1 is a bug fix and stability improvement release of the stable Sigil-0.9.X series. It includes all of the changes and improvements from our Sigil-0.8.900 series of pre-releases and it has shown itself to be very stable in testing.

The changes from our previous release Sigil-0.9.0 are all bug fixes:
  • Fix bug when template sgc_toc.css could be changed to blank on save, since no InitialLoad() was done
  • Change order of TextResource m_IsLoaded and m_CacheInUse flags to minimize potentail race exposure.
  • Fix PluginRunner bug that introduced errors into xhtml files when both the content.opf and xhtml were modified
  • Automatically XML decode and escape Metadata entries created in the Metadata GUI
  • Alter pluginhunspell.py so a missing libhunspell doesn't stop ALL plugins from working
  • Default to using clean by gumbo vs prettyprint gumbo in new installs
  • Fix prettyprint bug with trailing whitespace improperly inserted after inline tags inside div tags
  • Fix for bundled interpreter packages PIL and cssutils on Mac OS X that were missing
  • Fix for crash when using Find in BV on pages with no text, only images (issue #156)
  • Added testplugin_v010.zip to docs to allow Linux packagers to test their plugin implementation
  • Fix for prettyprint bug with tables (issue # 158)
  • Fix for serialize in gumbo to limit injection of new lines to barest minimum
  • Update Plugin Framework documentation to Revision 6 - see docs/Sigil_Plugin_Framework_rev6.epub
  • Make build order of Sigil's internal gumbo deterministic in order to help Linux packagers
  • Make plugin launcher success and error messages robust to non-utf-8 strings
  • Fix for crash bug when comments exist inside manifest of opf
  • Fix for Sigil's internal gumbo to only inject end tags when current token does NOT need to be reprocessed

It is hoped this release will provide a stable and up-to-date version of Sigil while development work begins on adding some additional epub3 support features.

Download Location
The official location for downloading this Sigil release (and all official releases) is:

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/tag/0.9.1

Downloading binaries from anyplace else is simply not a good idea as they could inject anything into their own downloads. After downloading, please verify the downloaded binary exactly matches what was originally posted by running an SHA 256 checksum on the file before installing it.

See the file Sigil-0.9.1-CHECKSUMS.sha256.txt for the correct checksums for each file and instructions for how to calculate a SHA 256 Checksum for your download. The Mac OS X Package has also been code signed with my Apple Developer signature.

Don't Forget FlightCrew
Please note, the epub2 validator FlightCrew has been converted to a plugin for Sigil 0.8.900 and later. This plugin remains unchanged from the last release and can be downloaded from the official Sigil-Ebook flightcrew repository if you have not already installed it.

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/fligh...ases/tag/0.9.0

Attention Mac OS X Users
Per the recommendation of www.python.org (see https://www.python.org/download/mac/tcltk/), due to bugs and the age of Apple's internal Tcl library, you should also download and install ActiveState's ActiveTcl Community Edition. To get the latest bug fixes, Sigil-0.9.1's embedded Python has been linked with the very latest version: Tcl 8.6.4.1

We may not redistribute this Package with Sigil due to ActiveState's binary non-redistribution policy.

So please download and install this version of ActiveState's Active Tcl Community Edition, until we get a chance to do our own build of Tcl 8.6.4.1 from source for future releases. ActiveState is a primary contributor to www.python.org and a respected and trusted source for python and tcl/tk related binaries on both Windows and Mac OS X.

See: http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads
Version: 8.6.4.1

Last edited by KevinH; 11-29-2015 at 01:21 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Any thoughts on creating a portable version for Windows - PortableApps.com is not my preferred solution.

Still no accelerator keys in Spellcheck for Refresh, Filter, Show all words and Case Insensitive Sort

I have asked for these on a couple of occasions, there's this one ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249867 and I'm pretty sure I also mentioned the need for them in the context of a longer, and more recent, thread. For me at least, avoiding use of the mouse is a disability issue - not a convenience or aesthetic preference.

FWIW : Win2000->Win10 users - Febooti have a Properties Sheet add-in for checksums. Convenient and its free, looks like :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	144172

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
What is wrong with the PortableApps.com version of Sigil?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'd like to nip any potential discussion concerning the pros/cons of any PortableApps.com versions of Sigil in the bud, if I could. This thread is for discussion of the Official version of Sigil v0.9.1--just released.

Thanks.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-29-2015 at 04:30 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:36 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Still no accelerator keys in Spellcheck for Refresh, Filter, Show all words and Case Insensitive Sort
Unfortunately, our focus has been more on the major structural changes to work towards epub3, and then getting something as stable as Sigil-0.8.6 out there for people to use, and not on polishing the current interface.

Please file an official "issue" at https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil explaining exactly what it is you are looking for and I will keep it open as a reminder for us to look at it as we get time. The feature requests here at MR have a tendency to get lost especially when my focus here is more on bug reports.

And of course - patches and pull requests for this are always welcome from anyone.

KevinH
Advert
Old 11-29-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah-ha - I wasn't aware that you were were using GitHub as an issue tracker. This issue posted - for hysterical reasons I'm nonentity1001 at Github

Thanks BR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Please file an official "issue" at https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil explaining exactly what it is you are looking for and I will keep it open as a reminder for us to look at it as we get time. The feature requests here at MR have a tendency to get lost especially when my focus here is more on bug reports.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Ah-ha - I wasn't aware that you were were using GitHub as an issue tracker.
Yes, I try to keep it small and just issues I plan to address at some point. All of the others one that are still open are actively being worked on as time permits.

Thanks,

KevinH
Old 11-29-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'd like to nip any potential discussion concerning the pros/cons of any PortableApps.com versions of Sigil in the bud, if I could. This thread is for discussion of the Official version of Sigil v0.9.1--just released.

Thanks.
So any thoughts on producing an Official Portable version, maybe in the manner of calibre portable?

BR
Old 11-29-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
So any thoughts on producing an Official Portable version, maybe in the manner of calibre portable?

BR
Not really. Not at this time, anyway.
On Windows, Sigil currently depends on the Visual C++ 2013/2010 redistributable runtime packages. Any official "portable" version would need to have those installed on any machine Sigil was destined to run on anyway. I have no interest in manually distributing the individual runtime pieces that would allow Sigil to operate on Windows machines without any prerequisites. Nor in attempting to strip runtime dependencies from exes/dlls. The location of the user-config files are the least of my worries in making a portable version of Sigil.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-29-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Not really. Not at this time, anyway.
- no worries, I can continue to get by with the other one when I'm 'out and about'

BTW - 0.9.1 feels faster that 0.8.6, snappier, crisper - not that 0.8.6 was a laggard.

BR
Old 11-29-2015, 10:43 PM   #11
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Hi all,

Up till now I have been using sigil 0.8.7 successfully to edit my ebooks. I have now read through all the changes of sigil on the sigil website, from 0.8.7 to 0.9.1. And it looks like major changes have happened, at least to my non-developer eyes.
Does that mean it is better to deinstall 0.8.7 and clean install 0.9.1 or is an upgrade over the existing installation ok? And as I use my saved searches a lot, do I need to reinstall them via the search ini file in case of a clean install or has that changed?

Whatever it may be, a BIG, BIG THANK YOU to all the people that have made this release possible and help me, a standard ebook reader, to configure my ebooks the way I like them.

Last edited by Capricorn; 11-29-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 11:51 PM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Just upgrade.

Installing the new version doesn't touch your ini files.
The ini files shouldn't break on a new version of Sigil -- though sometimes they have been known to get corrupted anyway, that might happen whether you upgrade or not.

Well, backups are never a bad thing.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #13
Capricorn
Belgian Pommes Frites
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Thank you for the information.

I have now done an upgrade from 0.8.7 to 0.9.1. I have edited one book. At first sight all seems to be perfect. I will do more in the next days.

Ini files sometimes corrupt.....ha....I learned that the hard way in the past. Nowadays, any change to my saved searches and the ini file gets backed up.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 03:17 AM   #14
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650

But i have a small bug. Well, a very small bug., Its so small, its not really a bug.

Internal stylesheets like
Code:
<style>
  body {...}
  b {}
</style>
are reformatted to

Code:
<style>        body {...}
  b {}
</style>
It does not invalidate the book, it does not crash, its syntactically completly ok.
Just want to mention it.

I'm using internal stylesheets for pages containing only one picture embedded in an svg element.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:00 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The pretty-printting/indentation of internal stylesheets in Sigil has never really been a thing of beauty. if your (x)html/internal css is already in a state you find aesthetically pleasing, you could try switching to parsing-only in your Clean-Source settings. Or you could move your css to external stylesheets where pretty-print won't touch it.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-30-2015 at 06:20 AM.