Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #31
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
My only bookmarks to my libraries are the advanced search page. I guess I better create new ones before the change.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have bookmarks for accessing Advanced Searches, which is pretty handy for finding newly-purchased ebooks. (It's also easy to change how many days to look for.)

If I cannot do the same on the new website by the time it is forced on us (because they have no Advanced Search functionality ) then I will be complaining loudly everywhere I can.
The current beta has no proper advanced search. So I complained loudly on their survey and sent them a couple of tweets as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 11:40 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
My only bookmarks to my libraries are the advanced search page. I guess I better create new ones before the change.
It won't matter. The bookmarks you create from the current system won't work on the new system. I've tried it already. It's a bust.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #34
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
It's almost like with Overdrive they have to change things just for the sake of change. Doesn't matter if it wrecks everything or not. There was nothing wrong with the way it is now....
And yes, I complained. Not like it will do any good.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #35
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I'm confused about one of these changes. It says "More options for signing in. You can sign into new OverDrive library websites with your library card, your OverDrive account, or your Facebook account. When you sign in with OverDrive or Facebook, the site will remember you, so you won't have to sign in every time you visit "

I've never had a problem with having to sign in every time using my library card. I check remember me, and it remembers. Is that not the same for others?
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1446053733812.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	143254
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #36
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
I'm confused about one of these changes. It says "More options for signing in. You can sign into new OverDrive library websites with your library card, your OverDrive account, or your Facebook account. When you sign in with OverDrive or Facebook, the site will remember you, so you won't have to sign in every time you visit "

I've never had a problem with having to sign in every time using my library card. I check remember me, and it remembers. Is that not the same for others?
Attachment 143254
Come on. Haven't you ever been frustrated with the way you always have to click the login button?

It takes so long... I think I will commit suicide now it's so horrible.

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #37
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The current beta has no proper advanced search. So I complained loudly on their survey and sent them a couple of tweets as well.
I filed feedback as well.

But if and when my library switches, I will re-evaluate it and if it's still a disaster I may have to camp on their doorstep with signs.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 PM   #38
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
When you search by title, do you use advanced search? I've never been able to get a specific title returned in the regular search.
No, not at all. I haven't had a problem at either the Chicago Public Library or the Phildelphia Free Library, using just the title and the regular search box.

Quote:

Sometimes it remembers. Sometimes it doesn't. I use 1password, so I can fill it in very quickly. That said, I'd rather just be always logged in, I add new titles to my wishlist almost daily.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #39
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

It has always, without exception, remembered for me. Across 7 different OverDrive websites.

Plus I use LastPass, so it wouldn't be a problem anyway.
In fact, as I use LastPass, I can open a new tab, have it go to the login page, and log me in then send me to the main Account page... in one single click...
Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #40
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
They say many of those features are coming, but what's the rush that they need to get the new site out incomplete?
If they're anything like the company I work for, it's on some Project Manager's 'Goals and Objectives' for 2015 to get it out by a certain date and that person is going to do so whether it's ready or not -- because the rest of the people in Management never actually use the software and place more emphasis on making a date than having a useable product.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #41
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I suspect this is a sign that I'm turning into a curmudgeon. But I find it a bit ironic that a site dedicated to reading like OverDrive would switch to such a graphic-heavy interface. We're not supposed to judge books by their covers, right?

I know that a lot of the crap we're seeing these days is optimized for the smaller - and touch capable - tablet screens. Other than the fact that assumptions are being made about everyone having access to broadband, in many ways it feels like we're going back to those old 800x600 days of the 90s.

I however still love my 22" dual monitors at work and 17" laptop monitor at home, and I hate this trend. I don't want to watch video blogs, I want to read them. I want text options on pages like Overdrive.

How is that page optimized for accessibility choices?

/rant
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #42
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Supposedly the current site was optimized for tablets and smartphones.
All I know is, I was happier beforehand, when I had to could scroll around rather than have the page squeezed in certain unnatural ways.
What will they do now?

And of course the perpetual Internet trend -- more javascript to take over basic functionality!!! An absolute must.
There are websites I simply won't access with Javascript enabled... not for security, just so I can read the darn thing!

I'm pretty sure I'm not a curmudgeon -- way too young for that.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:12 AM   #43
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

I'm pretty sure I'm not a curmudgeon -- way too young for that.
Early-onset curmudgeondry is a treatable condition but most of us refuse to take the almond-sized pills, preferring to vent at companies that replace smooth working products with "new and improved" that is anything but.

fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #44
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Early-onset curmudgeondry is a treatable condition but most of us refuse to take the almond-sized pills, preferring to vent at companies that replace smooth working products with "new and improved" that is anything but.

Always bugged me that, how can a update to an existing product be both "New" and "Improved", I mean one or the other is fine, but both??

Applying for my Early-onset curmudgeondry badge

Right, campaign needed to change "New and Improved" to one of the following (Could be expensive so please send money).
New (Bugs) and Improved (Features you don't want)
FUBAR
The old one didn't work at all
Now with added data grab Social Media functions
We had to add more stuff you don't want to continue selling it
Your mileage may vary
May contain nuts
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:19 AM   #45
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Always bugged me that, how can a update to an existing product be both "New" and "Improved", I mean one or the other is fine, but both??

Applying for my Early-onset curmudgeondry badge

Right, campaign needed to change "New and Improved" to one of the following (Could be expensive so please send money).
New (Bugs) and Improved (Features you don't want)
FUBAR
The old one didn't work at all
Now with added data grab Social Media functions
We had to add more stuff you don't want to continue selling it
Your mileage may vary
May contain nuts
Oooh, I'll take #7.

(P.S. We are talking about "new-and-improved' almonds, right?)