Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2014, 11:36 AM   #106
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I respectfully disagree. Amazon wouldn't have a textbook rental business without DRM. It clearly adds value for them.
1. If that's only because publishers insist on it, and if the publisher's reasons are invalid, then see above.

2. Textbooks are a rather special case, I'd think. The market dynamics seems to be different. While I might not be surprised to find there was a valid need for DRM on textbook rentals, I would not automatically assume that says anything about mainstream library lending.

3. Speaking of Amazon, do they handle BPH-type business the same way they do KDP, in that you can choose DRM or no DRM with no difference in price terms?
If so, doesn't it seem odd to you that, if DRM had value to AMAZON directly, they would not have different terms that compensate them for that lost value if one opted for NO DRM?
The fact that they do NOT do that (for KDP at least) is more evidence that AMAZON sees no value in DRM, beyond "If you insist, Mr, Publisher, the customer is always right...."

Last edited by ApK; 10-08-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added item #3
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #107
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Lending books without DRM is giving books away, not lending them. People can't be trusted to delete books at the end of a loan period. If I were a publisher, I certainly wouldn't lend out books without an expiry mechanism. It's a completely understandable requirement for a publisher to have, and Adobe are not the "bad guys" for providing a mechanism for fulfilling that requirement.
Libraries have Open EPUB books with no drm in the US. JA Konrath has a lot of these at the Philly Library - http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...levancy&Page=1
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #108
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
That's not really sound logic. It's just as reasonable that Amazon does the same check on all content, and merely chooses not to offer cloud-sync service for some stuff.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, and all that.
Oh, so like I said, it might be so but we certainly haven't been given any reason to think so.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #109
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
One big difference with Amazon is that I don't have to install their software (or any software) on my PC at all, therefore they don't have any opportunity to scan my PC. With Adobe, if you choose to buy books using their DRM to read on an e-reader, you really have no choice but to install their software on your computer. (From reading here, I see that you used to be able to use software from Sony to unlock your books, but...really. Sony? If they are trusted more than Adobe, then Adobe must be pretty bad...)

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #110
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm finding it harder and harder to swallow the "scanning the computer for ebooks outside of ADE's library" portion of the claim
Oh, snap, Nate! DiapDealer is calling you a liar! Are you going to take that guff!?

ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #111
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Lending books without DRM is giving books away, not lending them. People can't be trusted to delete books at the end of a loan period. If I were a publisher, I certainly wouldn't lend out books without an expiry mechanism. It's a completely understandable requirement for a publisher to have, and Adobe are not the "bad guys" for providing a mechanism for fulfilling that requirement.
Overdrive lends mp3 audiobooks without DRM. They announced a while ago that they were going to do away with wma DRM audiobooks and go strictly with mp3 audibooks, although that has yet to be implemented.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #112
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Oh, snap, Nate! DiapDealer is calling you a liar! Are you going to take that guff!?

Troublemaker!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:12 PM   #113
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Those are on CD, right? Lending a physical product is very different to lending a digital one. DRM is useful for digital lending simply to ensure that the library only lends the item the number of times simultaneously that they've bought a licence for, and that the usage rights expire when they licence says they should. The DRM is a benefit from both the library AND the publisher's viewpoints.
If it's DRM free, then it's trivial for the library (or the library patron) to make copies of the CD, or rip it to mp3s. It's exactly as trivial as it is for them to make copies of epubs that are DRM free.

If it's a problem for one kind of file, it's a problem for the other. And it doesn't seem to be a problem with the audiobooks.

The music industry proved, conclusively, that DRM a) doesn't improve sales, and b) costs a lot of money. The publishing industry is getting there, slowly, but may, in the end, prove too stupid to understand.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmck View Post
This really bugs me! People with books on health, family, finance or whatever, which they wanted to keep private have now shared that with Adobe and any other party that happen to listen in on the communication.

Time to edit your hosts file so that information isn't sent to adobe...

Windows:
Double click on C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (edit with Notepad or Wordpad) and add:
127.0.0.1 adelogs.adobe.com
127.0.0.1 192.150.16.235

Linux:
you know where it is. :-)

Mac:
No idea how...
I've applied this to hosts and ADE 2 was able to download an ePub from Overdrive no problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #115
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Remember that you the reader are not Adobe's customer for ADE, nor is ADE the product that Adobe is selling. What Adobe is selling is the DRM to the publishers and ebook stores.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #116
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Remember that you the reader are not Adobe's customer for ADE, nor is ADE the product that Adobe is selling. What Adobe is selling is the DRM to the publishers and ebook stores.

bernie
Which is to say, when you're not paying for the service, you're not the customer, you're the product.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #117
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've applied this to hosts and ADE 2 was able to download an ePub from Overdrive no problem.
That is because Adobe uses a subdomain (with its own IP address) for the logging. The fulfillment server uses a different (sub?)domain and IP address.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #118
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is because Adobe uses a subdomain (with its own IP address) for the logging. The fulfillment server uses a different (sub?)domain and IP address.
I just wanted to be sure things still work and to let others know this as well. Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #119
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
It's not a red herring. Remember that Amazon too do time-limiting DRM, for their "Kindle Owners' Lending Library", and also for textbook rental. I maintain my view that time-limiting is an entirely legitimate use for the technology, and that Adobe can't be "demonised" for providing a tool to meet that need.
Yes they can because they are scanning my computer for files when I don't give them permission to. It's not even in their TOS when you install the app, you have to GO FIND IT. That's bull crap and shady.

Having a time sensitive DRM mechanism reading WITHIN their own architecture is fine, and I agree, it's a good use of the technology. When they begin to reach PAST their software and into other places on my hard drive they have no business being, THEN I have a problem.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:00 AM   #120
Akshayy
Enthusiast
Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akshayy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ADE2, ADE3, Sony Xperia tablet Z, Nexus 7C, iPad 2x2, iPad 3
ADE doesn't scan anybody's PC or hard drives!
Akshayy is offline   Reply With Quote