Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Clara Peculiarity

Here's a little oddity: The Clara HD home screen has a "My Books" pane in the mid-left. A sub-header displays the number of books. Last night my device showed 2100 books. This morning it was 2099. Right now it's 2096. I did not add or delete any books during that time.

On the "My Books" page, when I click on "Filter: All" the device tells me I have 2109 books.

Now, this is not a problem; everything seems to work just fine. But I wonder why it is happening.

Last edited by Calenorn; 09-17-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I never paid attention to that count. Could it be counting the unread books only in that number?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #3
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I never paid attention to that count. Could it be counting the unread books only in that number?
Nope. The "Filter:All" in "My Books" lists numbers for "All," "Reading," "Unread," "Imported," and "Downloaded." The Home screen number doesn't match any of those. It's very odd.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not just a Clara oddity then, it's happening on my Glo HD with 4.10.11655 firmware. I showed 1235 books under "My Books". Added another 8 books and it still says 1235. Marked all books in a particular series from unread to read, and it still says 1235.

I have no idea how Kobo comes up with that number. I'll continue to ignore it as I have done in the past.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #5
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It's not just a Clara oddity then, it's happening on my Glo HD with 4.10.11655 firmware. I showed 1235 books under "My Books". Added another 8 books and it still says 1235. Marked all books in a particular series from unread to read, and it still says 1235.

I have no idea how Kobo comes up with that number. I'll continue to ignore it as I have done in the past.
I'm wondering whether it only updates the number occasionally. Like maybe only on a sync.
Advert
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Does it ReBoot after you add or delete ebooks? My numbers rarely go down & I know I have More than it says... I Love Box Sets no matter how many books in the box it only counts as 1 book...Calibre & the Kobo Both agree to how many ebooks I have.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Does it ReBoot after you add or delete ebooks? My numbers rarely go down & I know I have More than it says... I Love Box Sets no matter how many books in the box it only counts as 1 book...Calibre & the Kobo Both agree to how many ebooks I have.
No, I've been able to add and delete books without having the device reboot.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's why the Numbers are Not accurate! You need to Re-boot
Old 09-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Currently my Clara HD says I have 9183 books loaded. At 5 books per page, that should give me 1837 pages in the library with only 3 books on the last page. This is exactly what I am seeing. I removed 4 previews leftover from borrowed library books and I now have 1836 pages with 4 books on the last page.

No reboot was necessary. If a reboot was required, I would be very worried about my database health.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:04 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

IF you side loaded thru your PC then it most likely rebooted when you disconnected for the PC.
1st thing Any Tech will tell you when something doesn't work is to Re-Boot.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
IF you side loaded thru your PC then it most likely rebooted when you disconnected for the PC.
1st thing Any Tech will tell you when something doesn't work is to Re-Boot.
The last time my Clara HD rebooted was when I updated the firmware and that was an OTA update. Otherwise, it goes to sleep but does not power off. After transferring books over USB, I do get the importing content screen but that is not a reboot.

As for rebooting? I've made my living from computers for more years that I care to remember so yes, I know that advice. I also know when it is not going to help to do a reboot.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

As luck would have it, a book got "stuck" on the reader where nothing worked. I turned it fully off with the switch, then back on, and now it says 1234 books under "My Books" (it was as 1235 before that).

If I go into my library on the reader, it says 1255 books in the filter list, and that's exactly what it adds up to on the reader, 1255 books. It's just the number on the home screen that has a mind of its own.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:32 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
That doesn't sound right. Side loading doesn't normally trigger a re-boot, if it does, as has been implied, there is probably something wrong.

Side loading normally triggers a rescan (not a re-boot), at least for all the Kobo's I've had and all the Kobo firmwares I've used.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #14
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Here's a little oddity: The Clara HD home screen has a "My Books" pane in the mid-left. A sub-header displays the number of books. Last night my device showed 2100 books. This morning it was 2099. Right now it's 2096. I did not add or delete any books during that time.

On the "My Books" page, when I click on "Filter: All" the device tells me I have 2109 books.

Now, this is not a problem; everything seems to work just fine. But I wonder why it is happening.

Library books returning automatically perhaps??

2000 books is impressive. I thought my 300 was a lot
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote