Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM   #46
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There is an issue with accented letters. I think I have solved it, but need to do more testing. Apparently it is a combination with the CMAP table of the font and a wrong translation from the unicode decimal value to the correct CMAP table value.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #47
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that I have fixed the issue. I don't get the error anymore at least. Now I will continue work on the other version, although this codechange is also needed there.

Updated version in the startpost.
Advert
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #48
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Awesome!! I'll give it a try now.

Thanks!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 AM   #49
Toxaris
Wizard

Some fonts don't work very well in ADE, that is known. For now the solution would be to load the font in FontForge and correct it. It seems to be related to the OS/2 version property.
I am thinking of implementing a way to check the version and adapt it when required. I can build it in the current version and in the future version. It would remove the need for Fontforge for this specific reason. Would there be any interest in that? It is some work to do.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Some fonts don't work very well in ADE, that is known. For now the solution would be to load the font in FontForge and correct it. It seems to be related to the OS/2 version property.
I am thinking of implementing a way to check the version and adapt it when required. I can build it in the current version and in the future version. It would remove the need for Fontforge for this specific reason. Would there be any interest in that? It is some work to do.
Type Light is free for Windows. It does allow editing of the font's metadata. So if might do for fixing the OS/2 version. I've not tried it so I cannot say for sure. If it does work, then there are free solutions for all main OS.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #51
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Most people I expect would prefer a simple method of fixing this than having the need to install font editing software. I know I would.

I have zero interest in editing existing fonts (or creating new ones) as I have neither the time or the inclination to do this, so if the tool to remove unwanted glyphs can also make this correcting, then I would be very graetful.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:27 PM   #52
Toxaris
Wizard

Quite a bit of delay. The changing of the OS/2 version will not happen for the coming period. That is proving too challanging...

I uploaded a new version in the start post. A small rearrange of the interface and I put sequence numbers to see the correct usage. I also made a small codechange, that glyphs will always be added due to newer readers using them on the fly.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #53
Toxaris
Wizard

Well, it indeed has been a while. A new version is out (attached to start post). OTF support is removed, as this proved to give too many misses and errors. The TTF support is working fine. Another thing that has been changed, is that the font was not always shrinked. The inner working has been completely rewritten and the font is now greatly reduced.

The OS/2 Version will automatically be set to version 3 upon saving, so that could help with some ADE font support issues.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, it indeed has been a while. A new version is out (attached to start post). OTF support is removed, as this proved to give too many misses and errors. The TTF support is working fine. Another thing that has been changed, is that the font was not always shrinked. The inner working has been completely rewritten and the font is now greatly reduced.

The OS/2 Version will automatically be set to version 3 upon saving, so that could help with some ADE font support issues.
Is there any chance this could be made to work with the new forthcoming version of Sigil to make it an all-in-one solution?
Old 09-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #55
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Reread post n. 11 jon.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 AM   #56
Toxaris
Wizard

Well, I might work with Mono now actually. If it does, I am sure with the new plugin system something can be worked out. As of now the application does not accept command line arguments, but that can be investigated. Someone else would need to write the plugin though, I have no intention to spent time on Python.
Old 09-22-2014, 03:29 PM   #57
Toxaris
Wizard

I am making it easier to determine which letters to retain. It is soon possible to drag-n-drop text (currently txt, log, (x)htm(l), xml and docx) files to the character box to have the contents in there. After that the unique characters can be found with a press of the button.
I am currently looking into importing ePUB and the possibility to use the command line.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:43 AM   #58
Toxaris
Wizard

Massive update. You can drag and drop text files, (x)html and docx files into the character box to autofill it with all the characters. It is also possible to use the command line to feed input/output font and text to have it operate automatically.

Also new is ePUB support either via command line or in the form. Upon dragging the ePUB into the character box will automatically subset all the fonts in the ePUB. Fonts that are not used (either referenced or actually used) are removed. The fonts are subsetted to actual usage.

Enjoy...
Old 10-02-2014, 08:14 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I downloaded the version posted in the 1st post of this thread and installed it. I then ran the GUI and dragged an ePub to the GUI. It then immediately came up with not responding and I left it running overnight and came back and it's was still not responding and it did not subset the ePub.

How do subset an ePub via the command line (in case that works)?
Old 10-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #60
Toxaris
Wizard

Just run it in a command prompt like this:
Code:
fontshrinker -e <epubname>
If it does not run, can you please sent me the ePUB so I can run it through the debugger to see what goes wrong?