Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Attn vvv - Minor bug in BD

I just discovered a very minor bug in BD last night.

On the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, if you include double quotes in the book title, the author field comes out blank in the finished book. If you replace the double quotes with single quotes, the author comes out OK.

Eg:

Author: Van Dine, S.S.
Title: The "Canary" Murder Case

results in a blank author when the book is loaded onto the Reader.

But:

Title: The 'Canary' Murder Case

Everything works fine.

Is this a shortcoming of the Reader itself, or a BD bug?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #2
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Librie, REB1100, GEB2150, GEB1150, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I just discovered a very minor bug in BD last night.

On the "Make Sony Reader" dialog, if you include double quotes in the book title, the author field comes out blank in the finished book. If you replace the double quotes with single quotes, the author comes out OK.

Eg:

Title: The "Canary" Murder Case

results in a blank author when the book is loaded onto the Reader.

But:

Title: The 'Canary' Murder Case

Everything works fine.

Is this a shortcoming of the Reader itself, or a BD bug?

Thanks!
Reader does not like when double quotes appear in any attribute (Book Title, Book Author, etc.) of tags used for BookInfo (I suspect Sony guys do not know how to use properly RegExp ). I will fix it at the lrs level changing double quotes by single ones.
vvv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
The following symbols should be converted to entities before writing them into attribute values:
" "
' '
& &
> >
< &lt;
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
vvv
Zealot
vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.vvv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk
The following symbols should be converted to entities before writing them into attribute values:
" &quot;
' &apos;
& &amp;
> &gt;
< &lt;
It understands a single quote inside an attribute without ' -> &apos; convertion.

But maybe you are right: it is better to convert all the suspicious symbols to the corresponding entities and to forget about this stuff. And, if I remember correctly, it was more items in the symbols -> entities list, but I cannot find it...
Old 05-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!
Advert
Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
VVV,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but any idea when a working vista version of book designer will be available? In addition, thanks for releasing this great product. It has helped me get some really nice looking content on the device very quickly.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #7
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar
VVV,

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but any idea when a working vista version of book designer will be available? In addition, thanks for releasing this great product. It has helped me get some really nice looking content on the device very quickly.
A working vista version will appear when I will get a new pc (I think by the end of this year). But right now you can try to do as follows (suggested by users, I did not check it).

1. Install BookDesigner.msi to C:\Users\Goodbar\Book Designer 4.0\ (instead of C:\Program Files\Book Designer 4.0\).
2. Unpack the update (BookDesignerExe.zip) to Book Designer 4.0 directory.
3. Get "DHTML Editing Control for Applications" from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
and install it.
4. Go to BD directory, find GflAx.dll and register it (as admin).
Old 05-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Speaking of minor bugs, BD misbehaves whenever "demo" (or possibly "democ", I haven't tested scientifically) appears in a book title or a chapter title. Example: Democracy by Henry Adams; or Chapter 14. Tammany The Only Lastin' Democracy in Plunkitt of Tammany Hall

Also, how can we get BD to print an ampersand (&) ?
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:10 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais9000
Also, how can we get BD to print an ampersand (&) ?
Display of "&" used to be broken (it used to appear as "&amp;" in the finished book) but I've found that with the 12th Apr version of BD it now works correctly. Is that what you're using?

If you look in the "Pickwick Papers" books I posted yesterday you'll see that there are a number of ampersands in that which come out fine.

It might be one of these things - like accented letters - which depend on the language setting. I have my book language set to "German", which makes all the accented letters come out OK. Perhaps it's that which also makes "&" work too.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:06 AM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
VVV.....thanks for those directions. I've tried all the steps, but hadn't seen the last one. Hopefully that will fix my issues. Thanks again for your great effort.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar
VVV.....thanks for those directions. I've tried all the steps, but hadn't seen the last one. Hopefully that will fix my issues. Thanks again for your great effort.
Did you try the most important way to get Book Designer to work with your computer? Upgrade to Windows XP Pro.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Did you try the most important way to get Book Designer to work with your computer? Upgrade to Windows XP Pro.
Have you tried buying a computer with XP on it recently? Don't know if it's the same in the US, but here in the UK all the computer stores are selling machines with Vista, full stop.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #13
vvv
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anais9000
Speaking of minor bugs, BD misbehaves whenever "demo" (or possibly "democ", I haven't tested scientifically) appears in a book title or a chapter title. Example: Democracy by Henry Adams; or Chapter 14. Tammany The Only Lastin' Democracy in Plunkitt of Tammany Hall
BD is an intelligent program: it feels that I am a monarchist and skips automatically anything related to the democracy

Seriously speaking, I need more detailed information to locate a bug. Give me please some step-by-step example.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:02 PM   #14
Anais9000
Connoisseur
Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Anais9000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
save the following as demo.htm, change square brackets to angle brackets. Open under BD with settings Keep Original Format and Make TOC. Result: 1 title, 3 TOC entries, 3 chapters.
Globally replace "Donkey" with "Democrat" Repeat.
Result: First sentence of "book" becomes title, no "democrats" allowed in TOC.

[html][head][title]Donkey, by Bloomberg, M.[/title][/head]
[body][h1]Bloomberg, M.[br]Donkey[/h1][h3]I am a Donkey[/h3]
[p]"Ah, Harry, that is so easily said. People do not think of such things.[/p]
[h3]I am a Republican[/h3]
[p]Poor Florence! I fear it fared badly with her cause at this moment.[/p]
[h3]I am President[/h3][p]His eyes were full of tears, and she accepted that as his excuse for not answering her.[/p][p]
[p]THE END.[/p]
[/body][/html]

BTW, how does one get a commercial license for the program? you can email me about this offline if you prefer at anais9000USUAL-SYMBOLbabblebooks.com
Anais9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:29 PM   #15
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I tried your demo and and I had "I am a Democrat" as the first entry in the TOC. I am using the version referenced by vvv in another thread.

Harry, it is the same here in the US in that all new computers come with Vista. The only way to buy a fully functional computer is to get one without an opsys and then install XP on it. I build my own so that is not a problem for me.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote