Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-13-2023, 12:06 PM   #1
delusk
delusk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
V6.12 Won't Read Latest Kindle File

Calibre V6.12 won't open the latest Kindle ebook file. Previously using Kindle app V1.17, but when downloading a Kindle ebook today, Amazon forced the installation of latest version of their app, and now Calibre won't open the file. Is there any workaround for Calibre?
delusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:07 PM   #2
georgemk
Addict
georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.georgemk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Nia
This thread is the one to look at - the first post is constantly updated so it has the vital information https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2023, 02:19 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusk View Post
Calibre V6.12 won't open the latest Kindle ebook file. Previously using Kindle app V1.17, but when downloading a Kindle ebook today, Amazon forced the installation of latest version of their app, and now Calibre won't open the file. Is there any workaround for Calibre?
It's nothing to do with any version of calibre. It's to do with the fact that you've downloaded the eBook in KFX with DRM and there's no way to remove the DRM.

The only way you'll get to download that eBook so you can remove the DRM is to have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:33 PM   #4
delusk

What type of Kindle e-ink reader, should I get, model, gen, etc?

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:55 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
What type of Kindle e-ink reader, should I get, model, gen, etc?

Thank you.
You should consider using an Android emulator running an old version of the Kindle app. That gives you pretty much the same capabilities as you previously had running older versions of Kindle for PC. See this thread for details.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #6
delusk

I don't want to get into emulators and such. Which Kindle e-ink device should I buy? If an older one off eBay, what generation?

Thank you.
Danny Lusk
Old 02-25-2023, 10:00 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since I'm not concerned about Kindle Unlimited, Prime Read and similar loaned books, any eInk Kindle device will do as long as you can register it with Amazon. Once you have it registered, you can use Download and Transfer via USB to obtain the book in a format from which DRM can be removed.

Caveat: A Kindle eInk device which is capable of handling KF8/azw3 format ebooks so a Kindle 3 with updated firmware or later. Otherwise, you will get mobi format which is not a great format for ebooks.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-25-2023 at 10:02 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:16 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The DXG is technically after the K3, but is just a DX with a better screen so only does mobi even with last FW.

The Kindle is never needed again after it's registered. Registration of some kindles now also requires a code sent by Amazon to SMS or email (that expires) to make a second attempt on the eink registration GUI in a method depending on instructions with code.

It's best to copy/paste the Kindle ID from your account on the Website than reading it in the ereader. Under Content and Devices -> Devices
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 09:45 PM   #9
delusk

I have purchased a Kindle Gen 10 and my library of books has downloaded. I then connected the Kindle to my PC and see the Kindle folder, looked in Document, I see Downloads, and I can see the book I want to convert. What do I do at this point to get Calibre to open and convert the book?
Old 03-12-2023, 10:21 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I have purchased a Kindle Gen 10 and my library of books has downloaded. I then connected the Kindle to my PC and see the Kindle folder, looked in Document, I see Downloads, and I can see the book I want to convert. What do I do at this point to get Calibre to open and convert the book?
You can't convert the books downloaded directly to a Kindle device. If you want to convert, use the Download and Transfer with USB option on the Amazon Content and Devices page to download the files to your PC.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:51 PM   #11
delusk

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!

I appreciate the answer. You are a blessing.

Danny Lusk
Bud, WV
USA