Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2023, 12:01 PM   #1
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
epub or kepub?

I've been reading on a Kindle Oasis for several years. Recently, I acquired a Kobo Sage. I'm presently comparing the devices to determine which I prefer.

In any event, I've seen references to .kepub when working with a Kobo reader. Should I be converting my .epub books to .kepub before sideloading to my Kobo? What are the advantages and/or disadvantages to doing so?

Also, I've also seen references to Calibre plugins for the Kobo. Are these necessary, worthwhile, or just "nice to have"?
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:06 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
You don't need to convert. If you want to try kepub, use the KoboTouch Extended Driver, which will send a kepub to your Kobo. To switch back to sending epubs, flip between Extended and ordinary driver.

Kobo Driver is essential IMO, the rest are optional.

I use kepubs on the Sage and epubs on the Libra 2. I slightly prefer kepubs, as they're a bit faster and you can zoom images. Epubs have better layout and typesetting, but I don't care about the latter and the layout is not so noticeable on a 8" screen.

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-16-2023 at 12:09 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 12:48 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWallack View Post
In any event, I've seen references to .kepub when working with a Kobo reader. Should I be converting my .epub books to .kepub before sideloading to my Kobo? What are the advantages and/or disadvantages to doing so?
I like consistent ePub page numbering instead of KePub numbering that changes with a font size adjustment, or a margin change. So I usually choose ePubs for that reason.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 01:33 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I like consistent ePub page numbering instead of KePub numbering that changes with a font size adjustment, or a margin change. So I usually choose ePubs for that reason.
I only use the progress bar while reading, the rest takes up too much screen space for me. Total page count, as calculated by Calibre, is displayed in the book details and that's enough for me.
Old 03-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #5
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
If You need to enlarge images or You read books with notes use Kepub. Otherwise it is not so different but anyway epub has a better typography.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #6
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I like kepub more (and contrary to rcentros I love kepub numbering, so to highlight once more how personal the choice is ) and my whole library is converted to kepub nowadays, but I second the suggestion to try both and check which one you like more
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:20 PM   #7
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I've found the WebKit renderer used with KEPUB to be a bit faster and more stable than the EPUB renderer, which is based on ADE. When reading long novels, I've had worse performance (very long page turns between chapters) and a couple freezes when using EPUB. The ability to hold the page turn button and rapidly flip through pages is also very handy with KEPUB, so I convert all my EPUBs before loading them on my Libra 2.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:24 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
When reading long novels, I've had worse performance (very long page turns between chapters) and a couple freezes when using EPUB.
Funny, I haven't had those on my Libra 2, where I read epubs exclusively. And I've read several thick doorstoppers there.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:51 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Funny, I haven't had those on my Libra 2, where I read epubs exclusively. And I've read several thick doorstoppers there.
When it comes to responsiveness, I think the total length of the book is less relevant than the length of the individual chapters, i.e. big HTML files can be sluggish to load and render. I've always thought that kepubs were a bit faster than epubs for long chapters but I've never done a proper scientific comparison.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 01:47 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I only use the progress bar while reading, the rest takes up too much screen space for me. Total page count, as calculated by Calibre, is displayed in the book details and that's enough for me.
My eyes are still picky about front-lit screens, so I move from one eReader to another depending on what's most comfortable at the time. I use the page number for syncing. I can't do that if I'm using KePub on the Kobo.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:52 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I've found the WebKit renderer used with KEPUB to be a bit faster and more stable than the EPUB renderer, which is based on ADE. When reading long novels, I've had worse performance (very long page turns between chapters) and a couple freezes when using EPUB. The ability to hold the page turn button and rapidly flip through pages is also very handy with KEPUB, so I convert all my EPUBs before loading them on my Libra 2.
Quote:
I haven't had any trouble with ePubs on the Kobos either — nor have I had any trouble with KePubs.
Old 03-17-2023, 03:35 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My eyes are still picky about front-lit screens, so I move from one eReader to another depending on what's most comfortable at the time. I use the page number for syncing. I can't do that if I'm using KePub on the Kobo.
I also move between my Sage and Libra. I just use the chapter number or find my place manually, as I usually remember where I left off.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:27 AM   #13
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I prefer kepub. Several reasons:
  • The number of pages adjusts when changing font sizes. Though, as mentoned above, YMMV for this.
  • I like the little graph showing the chapter lengths.
  • You can zoom in on images.

I believe that Kobo Store always (or almost always; it's possible there's a setting for this that I can't remember) downloads the kepub.

If you use the standard KoboTouch driver to sideload with Calibre, you'll get ePubs. KoboTouchExtended sends kepubs instead.

Quote:
You don't need to convert. If you want to try kepub, use the KoboTouch Extended Driver, which will send a kepub to your Kobo. To switch back to sending epubs, flip between Extended and ordinary driver.
The KTE driver can also selectively pick which books to kepubify. My template checks that "send as epub" is not in #admintags.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-03-17 11_25_00-Customize KoboTouchExtended.png
Views:	113
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	200394

(note: 'in' is an error; it should be 'inlist'. I corrected it.).

The inverse would be program: if 'send as kepub' inlist $#admintags then 'True' fi

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-17-2023 at 10:32 AM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:56 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I also move between my Sage and Libra. I just use the chapter number or find my place manually, as I usually remember where I left off.
One of the books I'm currently reading is 2,300+ pages, split into 8 "chapters" (originally volumes). So going by chapter would be about useless there. But even on "normal" books, I'll stop in mid-chapter and using my page number is faster. Besides, it's a built in habit — it's just the way I'm used to doing it.
Old 03-17-2023, 12:31 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...even on "normal" books, I'll stop in mid-chapter and using my page number is faster. Besides, it's a built in habit — it's just the way I'm used to doing it.
It hasn't been my experience as I switch between a kepub on my Kobo and the ePub on my Nooks. On my Nook, I don't even show the page, but instead the time left in the chapter. But everyone's different.

Current book, I'm going to likely jump between kepub (Kobo), ePub (Nook) and KFX (Kindle) as I'm determined to read a book on the Kindle I was given. Wish me luck!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote