Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-23-2023, 04:05 PM   #1
amo48
amo48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Sigil 1.9.20 for Linux Won't Launch

Downloaded and installed Sigil 1.9.20 Flatpak onto my Dell E6510 laptop via my distro's (Linux Mint 20.3) software repository. But when I go to launch it, nothing happens--no error message or anything. Confusing. I thought Flatpaks are supposed to contain everything needed to install and run an application program.

I'd very much appreciate any tips on how to get Sigil to work on my computer. I did see a previous posting here with instructions on how to build Sigil from source code. I suppose i could try that, but I'm a Linux newbie and am not sure I wouldn't screw it all up.
amo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
We don't maintain the flatpak version of Sigil, but in short... No. Flatpak packages do not always have every little thing needed to run. You might be thinking of an AppImage. Still... Many people seem to be able to use the flatpak version of Sigil on their machines, so you should be able to get it to work. Try launching it from a command prompt and see if it gives you more detail on what's failing.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #3
amo48
amo48 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks much for the info about Flatpaks; good to know.

I did try to launch Sigil from the command line--same result. No nothing. Process list doesn't show it running. If I didn't do anything wrong in the download/install process, the reason could be a bug in this new Sigil version or in the Flatpak itself. My Linux distro does have a default version of Sigil, which is widely used, i.e., the outdated v. 1.1.0. I was wanting an upgrade to the latest version.

Guess I'll try to do the build and install Sigil myself according to a previous posting here that links to repository owner Doug Massay. Though I'm a Linux newbie, I did do a lot of stuff a long time ago from the MS-DOS command prompt.
amo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 09:33 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am that Doug. That forked repository in my personal github profile might not be up to date. Use the Linux build documentation from the official Sigil repo's docs folder.

https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...ng_on_Linux.md

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-23-2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 12:13 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Try this. From a command prompt, find the names of all installed flatpak apps with:

Code:
flatpak list --app
Grab the full name of the flatpack version of Sigil (should be the second column). It might be something similar to com.sigil-ebook.Sigil.

Using that full name (case sensitive), try to run it from the command prompt with:

Code:
flatpak run <insert flatpack sigil full name here (without the angle brackets)>
See if that gives you any further detail.

Tags
flatpak, sigil 1.9.20