Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Blackstar57
Banned
Blackstar57 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Frozen Kobo Touch (3 years old)

Hello. I have a Kobo touch that is slightly over 3 years and the other day while finishing a book it was taking longer than usual for the book to refresh to the home screen so I could start my next book. After a minute I started pressing the power button with no results and then the home button. Then after holding just the home button down for about 5 seconds a screen popped up saying "Restoring your device to factory defaults.... this will take several minutes... " Nothing I did after this had any affect on the device. Anyway, it's been stuck on this screen since Friday. Tried every reset combo I have read about so I figure this is toast.

Is there anything I haven't mentioned (tried) to get this thing to start up again? All books are backed up so losing data isn't important.

Thanks

Glenn
Blackstar57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Blackstar57
Banned

What a great day... Had some free time today so I started pouring over the internet and through this forum and tried soooo many ways to get this Kobo working again. Finally tried something a little different. I had it plugged into a wall charger through usb cable to make sure it was charging. Had a solid green light. Took it from wall and plugged into several different usb's on my computer... Tried a lot of different switch combos...

Then I held the power switch for 30 seconds... then pressed the home button and power button together, in that order. Then I got a couple red flashes on the power light. Then it lit up like a strobe light... Flashed white, blue green for a couple minutes then shut down. I powered it on and it took me to the original Kobo welcome screen.

I now seem to have an 'as new' Kobo. Computer recognizes it and all I have to do is reload my books.

Thank you to the people who responded to my pleas. I am now a Happy Reader again. I will continue to visit this forum because of the great content. Learning all kinds of new things these past few days....

Thank you

Glenn
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #3
Blackstar57
Banned

Another thing I forgot. I tried someone else's suggestion from another post just before I tried my final fix. I took the back cover off and unplugged the battery for a couple minutes then plugged in again. Then I tried the fix that worked for me.