Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #1
Teachdaire
Teachdaire began at the beginning.

Free E-Books on Connect Book Store

Update: Looks like these ebooks aren't intentionally free. Sony is going back and putting prices on them so it looks like this was a limited time offer. Sorry for the falsely raised hopes.

Here's a list of all the free E-Books currently available via the Sony Connect Book Store just in case you want to save your $50 credit for later (when they hopefully add more content):

The Bomb in the Basement - Michael Karpin
Cruel Summer - Kylie Adams
Deadly Harvest - Philip Prowse & Carolyn Walker
The Devil's Knight - Lucy Blue
Diary of a Working Girl - Daniella Brodsky
How to Be Good - Nick Hornby
A Hungry Heart - Gordon Parks
In the Shadow of the Mountain - Philip Prowse & Helen Naylor
The Lady in White - Philip Prowse & Colin B. Campbell
Masters of Reality - Traci Harding
Misunderestimated - Bill Sammon
Murder Maker - Philip Prowse & Margaret Johnson
Present Tense - L. A. Graf
The Rule of Three - Jagdish Sheth & Rajendra S. Sisodia
Russell Rules - David Falkner & Bill Russell
The Silent Takeover - Noreena Hertz
Tenzing and the Sherpas of Everest - Judy Tenzing & Tashi Tenzing
The Virtue of Prosperity - Dinesh D'Souza
Without Pity - Ann Rule
Year's Best SF 7 - David G. Hartwell & Kathryn Cramer

Last edited by Teachdaire; 10-05-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Teachdaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Thanks!
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #3
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
Wow, didn't know they had these (at launch too). Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, and if possible, I vote for a sticky of this thread.

Last edited by Xtremegene; 10-03-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Why am I not surprised that the Pro-Bush book is free...?

Out of those, there is one I want, which will be nice since the Launch Promotion didn't show up on my account as it should have.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Teachdaire

Michele,

Did you activate your Sony Reader? You have to activate it before you get the $50 credit. Plus it doesn't show up in your account balance. The $50 credit actually shows up separately as a gift certificate. That actually threw me off too.
Advert
Old 10-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #6
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I opened the account, registered my computer, but hadn't connected the Reader yet.

All better now.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Looks like the freebies were a mistake. I don't see anything free now.
... will unsticky the thread.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Michele
Addict

Really? I got one free, heh.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone see them still there for free? (Any books on the Connect store?)
If so... how do you get to them with a $0 price?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
Michele
Addict

Sorry, no. I meant I got one while they were still $0.

However there are some terrible pricing glitches, including a book in a trilogy by Sean McMullen. The first book's price is based upon the hardback price, although it's been in mass market paperback for awhile now. The second book is priced upon the paperback price. No one should pay $22 for an ebook that's out in mmp.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Teachdaire

Try selecting the book. When you do a search for them it will show a price in the search window but when you actually select the ebook it will show a list price of $0.00.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Hmm. If I look at the books from the Sony Connect software, it shows a regular price. If I select the book from http://ebooks.connect.com via FireFox, it shows a $0 price. But there doesn't seem to be any way to buy the book at $0.

Can you give us some more details of how you made the "purchase" and download?
Old 10-04-2006, 09:22 PM   #13
Xtremegene
Connoisseur
Xtremegene began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 --- Nokia n800
It's weird- I also downloaded about eight or so of the above listed books for free two days ago.

After a quick check, one, The Rule of Three is not listed as being $0.00, neither in a 'searched for' list nor when you actually click the book. However, another book, How to Be Good is listed as $0.00 when you click to see the book's listing, though it has an actual price when in the 'searched for' list.

All I did to find the books was use the search box in the top right of the CONNECT software and find them by their titles. I guess Sony did mess up a little in offering at least some of these books for free....
Xtremegene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:11 AM   #14
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
I managed to get 'The Bomb in the Basement' free a minute ago, but none of the others (several of the books on the list above don't even appear in the store right now).
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:35 AM   #15
Teachdaire

Very strange. Perhaps it was a mistake on their part. I originally thought that they were offering several ebooks for free as part of the launch but it looks like it might have been a mistake.

When I initially posted the list I was buying some books via the Connect software using the $50 credit. I noticed that one of the ebooks I was interested in was listed at $0 so I ordered it. It showed up as free when I purchased and downloaded it. Then, operating on the concept that a free ebooks is never a bad idea, I went through their list, found all the $0 ebooks, and purchased them all for free.

It looks like they're going in and fixing all the $0 ebooks they can find now although they might have missed one or two. Sorry looks like free ebooks are no longer free. Guess it was a limited time offer.

Last edited by Teachdaire; 10-05-2006 at 01:38 AM.