Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #16
idraw22
Zealot
idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.idraw22 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite, Kindle 3, jetbook mini, sony clie, sony prs-T1
Since you mentioned conversions, does anyone know what I can use to convert from an old Brother word processor? I had fewof stories and journals on it that I would love to get back, I have the disk, but I don't know what to do to convert those files! All I can do is hope I find an old one on ebay and print the files out.Some of my first finished stories...
idraw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by idraw22 View Post
Since you mentioned conversions, does anyone know what I can use to convert from an old Brother word processor? I had fewof stories and journals on it that I would love to get back, I have the disk, but I don't know what to do to convert those files! All I can do is hope I find an old one on ebay and print the files out.Some of my first finished stories...

Did a google on "convert from Brother word processor"

and ran across this:

http://answers.google.com/answers/th.../id/50632.html

and
http://www.cometdocs.com/indexWord.htm
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Might be a strange question here on the MR MB, but I was wondering if any of my fellow writers still use a pen at any point during the writing process. I find that what works best for me is fountain pen and composition book with nice paper for the first draft and then after that it's all word processor. But when I try to do first draft on the computer I just end up constantly refining each blasted sentence as I go and it takes longer than forever to get a chapter done.

So, are there any pen, Sharpie or Ticonderoga #2 devotees out there?
Nuh-uh. I can use a pen and paper, but somehow it trips me up a couple of times every page - feels like running a race in clown shoes. I have a little notebook-sized laptop which goes everywhere with me, much like many authors keep a paper notepad. Somehow typing just 'works' for me, whereas pen & paper never really did, even when I had no electronic alternative.

Funny, huh? I wonder if people's preferences are sometimes related to hand-eye co-ordination, thought-to-hand pathways*, typing/writing speeds...

* I've known children who can't pen-write a straight sentence, but can type it perfectly - different pathways from thought to hand action, apparently
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #19
Chriskander
writer
Chriskander began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
Oh. the nostalgia for Wordstar and CP/M.
How many of you still have a CP/M machine? I have an Osborne upstairs in the (sorta) attic. Haven't tried it for many years. The last time, the A drive wouldn't work and I couldn't remember the key strokes to make it start on drive B.
More usefully -- I recall that I had something...Star software that converted Wordstar files to early Word Perfect. Probably still hiding somewhere in the darker recesses of my den. If someone asks I could maybe look for it -- after a few deadlines are met by early April.
Christopher Hoare
The Iskander series – Arrival, Deadly Enterprise, The Wildcat’s Victory, The Wildcat's Burden
see links to all at –
http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/...topher%20Hoare
http://www.freewebs.com/chriskander/
http://thewildcatsvictory.wordpress.com
Chriskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I write the outline of the story by hand, but the actual writing process is all via computer. Too long and drawn out for me to do it by hand; it's faster to put the thoughts down via typing.

Funny enough: I remember watching a video bio on Ayn Rand, and in all of the pictures I saw of her writing, she always had a pencil in one hand and an eraser in the other, and the eraser always hovered near the pencil. I thought it looked cool, but I don't have the concentration to do that, because she appeared to erase as she wrote-more coordination than I have.
J. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #21
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
For a long time I wrote out entire manuscripts using a pen and paper, but recently switched to computer almost all the way. I still use a pen and notebook for plotting, character descriptions, location info, photographs, etc. and keep that notebook beside me when writing.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:31 PM   #22
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
A pen! They still make those?
I haven't written anything by hand longer than the amount line on my checks in years. If I can't type it, I may throw down a few notes, but I'm not writing until I get in front of a keyboard.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 AM   #23
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I write on the computer and will print it out to mark it up with a pen. Editing the printed page works for me and that was how we used to do it when I was in newspaper.
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #24
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've never really written by hand. I started out writing on a keyboard from a very young age. I started on the type-writer. I used to look up to typists and was hell bent on mastering it around the same time I learned to read and write. The result is that my hand writing skills are awful. It's exhausting to write by hand, and few things I write are legible. So I avoid it if possible.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
My hand writing skills are incredibly bad. At least with a computer what I write is legible.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:17 PM   #26
Spoon Man
Groupie
Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Spoon Man could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 1
I write with a .5 mechanical pencil on 3"x5" notecards for for my initial drafts. When available however, I do like to write poetry in blue ink in small notebooks.
Spoon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #27
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I often write with pen on paper - almost always a fountain pen (I have too many), and usually in a moleskine (again, I have too many). But I also write on my laptop (well, type), on my iPhone, and on and with anything else that comes to hand when inspiration strikes.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #28
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I am a pen guy. From school I wrote with a pen, and now in Germany I've discovered I should have been using a pen as well from the beginning. It's so great to feel the trace of the pen, once again...

I've just given up to an impulse and I've bought a cheap Lamy.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #29
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I use a pen (preferably Tul) and a notebook (preferably Moleskine) for outlining and notes - all the pre-draft stuff.

I can't use one to write seriously though. A couple of paragraphs and my hand starts to hurt (I hold the pen weird because I learned to write with my arm in a cast so the barrel rests on the bone in my finger.)
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote