Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Samsung Galaxy S2 as ebook reader

I'm seriously thinking of buying a Samsung S2, mainly for use as an ebook reader.

Does anyone have one? Could you comment on how effective it is as an ebook reader?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I assume you mean the Galaxy Tab S2 (Not the Galaxy S2 which is a smartphone from 2012).

I don't have one, but a friend has both the 8" and 9.7" version. He uses them mostly for movies, but I did get him to let me install Moon+ Pro, Bookari and the Kindle app on them and the displays on both devices are gorgeous. For me with all tablets it comes down to the display quality and then your chosen reading app so it just depends on if you have any specific needs and if they can be met by your chosen app(s). The Tab S2's are certainly more than powerful enough to have no lag problems when turning pages and such.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Although for my own use, I still rank an E-Ink device as best for reading, tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and the iPad Pro come a close second. As AnemicOak said, the displays are gorgeous and can be customizable to your own needs. Besides the display options, many reading apps offer a variety of themes and tweaks. You should be able to easily find the setup that feels best for you.

As for size, it's a matter of taste. I would find the 8 inch Tab S2 better for reading than the 9.7 one. But you may feel differently, depending on what you want to read. PDFs are best on larger screens.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I have a Tab S 8.4 and it's great for reading. That one has a 16:9 format. I was going to get the Tab S2 until I found out that it is 4:3 format. I wouldn't want to read on that, and it also would not be good for watching videos because you would have the black bars then. I'm sure others would be fine with that, but it's not for me.

Edit: the older model also has a better resolution.
Tab S - 1600 x 2560 pixels (~359 ppi pixel density)
Tab S2 - 1536 x 2048 pixels (~320 ppi pixel density)

My husband got a 9.7, and the first time I saw it I had to ask what the resolution was because it didn't look too good to me since I was used to the better resolution.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 04-13-2017 at 09:56 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have an 8" Acer with a full HD screen. For me anything larger than 8" would be clumsy for reading. I have 9.7" and 10" tablets but I wouldn't use them for reading.

The Acer's screen is exceptional and I've tried to use it for reading but it's still too big for me and too heavy even though it's a fairly light tablet. I do read some on my phone and I've found that my eyes are bothered by reading on an LCD screen so I have to limit myself to about 20 minute sessions and I can read just fine. My new phone has an AMOLED screen and I can read nearly twice as long without eyestrain. If I go too long on either of them I can't read for the rest of the day. Of course not everyone has that problem with LCD screens but I do and a lot of people do.

Today I read for about 2 or 3 hours on my e-ink Kobo. I can't do that with a tablet or phone. It really makes a big difference.

If you like the size and you're not bothered by long sessions with an LCD you might like the Tab S. I had the original 9.7 Tab S. I didn't like it because I was always accidentally hitting the capacative buttons so I eventually sold it, but other than that it was a really nice tablet.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2017, 10:28 PM   #6
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Could you comment on how effective it is as an ebook reader?

the high end sammy tablets have nice screens and work great as e-readers

I'm a big fan of reading on mine
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:38 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Many thanks to you all. I think I'll buy it when the shops reopen tomorrow.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote