Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachwanderer View Post
They should say something. Even if they didn't know. I did send them a message after reading what Open sesame posted and after I saw what an IMEI testsite returned as a result for my device.
Can you give us an update on the response to this, and what your impressions of the device are after a couple of weeks of using it, please?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #77
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Well, I did post some impressions in the meantime over in this thread in the german forum but sadly haven't got the time to translate all of this for posting it over here too.

ArtaTech send an answer on July 21. and offered to take back the device. A solution for the IMEI-problem was not given. I did expect not much more than this but as the phone-functions still work alright I will keep it.

A review has appeared on onyx-boox.com which sums up things quite good. My experiences with the battery are basically the same.

So, it's nice as a mini eInk-android-ereader and the phone-functions are a neat extra but this concept won't hit home on the market. For most people looking for something similar (eInk, phone, small screen) a cover-ereader of sorts as an extra to a normal phone will be a far better solution.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 07-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:51 PM   #78
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks - I appreciate the update. Doesn't seem like something that I'd have a use for.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #79
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks - I appreciate the update. Doesn't seem like something that I'd have a use for.
Not with the T 68 already in the house anyway.

What I really do like about the android os on the reader is being able to get library ebooks on the go from the local library via the corresponding app.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 AM   #80
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can you give us an update on the response to this, and what your impressions of the device are after a couple of weeks of using it, please?
There is an extremely disappointing video review on youtube from goodereader I think.
I will try to find it later, I have to run now. Work awaits :+-(.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:05 AM   #81
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There is an extremely disappointing video review on youtube from goodereader I think.
I will try to find it later, I have to run now. Work awaits :+-(.
Here it is:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...-onyx-inkphone
Old 07-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #82
beachwanderer
-

Thanks for the link.

Well, well. Needs some perspective, this "review", I think.

"I was going to abandon by (sic) Blackberry and iPhone and just go with e-Ink."

Yes. That explains a lot.

They do have some points there (TTS and the (polish?) dictionary are not working but those are software things - CoolReader Free or Moon+ Free work fine with GoldenDict Free or ColorDict) but I can't really rate this as a serious review, rather it's a sloppy (sorry but I have to say that) review for people who don't even bother to look at the specifications on the webside of the sellers.

Regardless of the IMEI-problem I (and other users) can make calls alright so the "a phone you can't make calls with"- headline Nate came up with (and later thought of as not quite appropiate himself) is just wrong also.

Now, "GPS is broken" really says it all. Where do the goodereader-reviewers got the impression from that the device was ever intended to have GPS in the first place? No GPS on that device. Simple as that. (If you have to have GPS: Use an external GPS like RoyalTec GPS with bluetooth, install OsmAnd and Bluetooth GPS Provider on the E43 and you will know where you are. Works fine.)

As said before: This is a reader with phone functions. Not an android phone.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 07-28-2014 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 AM   #83
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
"I was going to abandon by (sic) Blackberry and iPhone and just go with e-Ink."
They had a good reason to expect a good performance. They explain that they got to play with a prototype last year and that prototype gave a very snappy response.

I personally *still* want one. But they are "Out of stock" at the moment, and I have a sinking feeling that "the stock" will not be replenished soon, if ever. Sigh ... there goes a "smaller than a typical 6" ebook reader with a frontlight and added bonus of being able to make phonecalls and even install a [limited] number of simple apps".
I am reluctant to purchase this directly from China - I still want to have an option of returning this device. Please note that this is very first device where I consider possible return even before buying. I would love being able to test it in person.

I am looking at InkCase at the moment, but I do not like too small non-front-lit screen. Plus even more limited options in installing apps.
If somebody made a device like PocketBook 360 with a front lit screen I would be willing to pay a premium.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
but I can't really rate this as a serious review, rather it's a sloppy (sorry but I have to say that) review for people who don't even bother to look at the specifications on the webside of the sellers.
I was amused by the "it doesn't have a camera, so most apps that rely on a camera won't work" comment .
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #85
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I personally *still* want one. But they are "Out of stock" at the moment, and I have a sinking feeling that "the stock" will not be replenished soon, if ever.
InkPhone might be in stock in the upcoming weeks :-)
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:32 AM   #86
Open sesame
Open sesame began at the beginning.

Device: Boox e43
Dears

I cannot emphasize enough that you should not buy this.....it's an utter waste of money.......

It costs more to return it to seller in some places ....

You can buy a good e-reader with same amount ....do not believe it is something amazing....it totally is not!
Open sesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 02:29 AM   #87
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtaTechPoland View Post
InkPhone might be in stock in the upcoming weeks :-)
I understand you can't promise anything, but thank you for the news.
I will continue to monitor the onyx-boox site occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open sesame View Post
I cannot emphasize enough that you should not buy this.....it's an utter waste of money...
Have you personally tested the phone, or you just think that we shouldn't buy it after you looked at the specs and concluded it is not good enough for you?
Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #88
Open sesame
Open sesame began at the beginning.

Device: Boox e43
Kacir

If you read few posts back you would know that I have one of them myself and thus my disappointment with device, I guess some people would like to just make their own mistakes or are rich enough to not care....

Quality of product - zero marks
Usability - zero marks
Phone function - zero marks, cannot make calls imei clone issue.
Ereader - fine, then again why not just buy a dedicated ereader instead
Open sesame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:18 AM   #89
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Kacir

If you read few posts back you would know that I have one of them myself and thus my disappointment with device, I guess some people would like to just make their own mistakes or are rich enough to not care....
Sorry ...
I should have read the thread more carefully, paying attention to who is posting what.

Quote:
Ereader - fine, then again why not just buy a dedicated ereader instead
there is no dedicated e-ink reader with front-lit e-ink screen with screen size less than 6".
I used to have PocketBook 360 that nicely and discreetly fit to the pocket of my standard issue, "Personal protective equipment" clothes I [sometimes] use at work when I am doing job on site.

When I am on [a building] site, doing supervision or waiting for a shutdown, or on standby, or working as a translator/interpreter, they look at me accusingly when they see me with my 6" device. Somehow, holding a device that masquerades as a phone is *much* more acceptable ;-)
Mind you, I am just wasting time anyway - waiting for the technology to be ready or for some unplanned outage or for programmers to finish the latest software change, or for other favorable conditions to start commissioning or testing or whatever. Am I supposed so stare blankly, or chain-smoke, or chat idly like the rest of the crew?

Last edited by kacir; 08-08-2014 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #90
ArtaTechPoland
Banned
ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ArtaTechPoland has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: inkBOOK
Hello,

there is an firmware update for those who have purchased Midia InkPhone. More information on: https://onyx-boox.com/news/firmware-...dition-1-9-27/
ArtaTechPoland is offline   Reply With Quote