Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #31
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Looks like Hotmail is working for it. Any idea why/how Gmail became so strangely inhospitable?
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:25 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have no idea, somebody that uses this should notify google of the problem.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #33
kidblue
Connoisseur

I'd be happy to do it - What's the best way to explain the error or the code its throwing?
Old 11-15-2010, 01:36 PM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically the connection is being closed by the gmail SMTP server unexpectedly. Whatever error is causing that on the gmail server is also resulting in the mail attachment not being delivered to Amazon.

You could get more debug output by running the following from the command line

Code:
calibre-smtp -vv -r smtp.gmail.com --port 587 -u username -p password --attachment filename --subject "test mail" username@gmail.com yourkindleusername@kindle.com "this is a test mail"
This will use the same code to send mail via Gmail as the GUI. IN addition it will print out the SMTP session, which should give more info about the error.

You may have to send the mails repeatedly until you get a failure, since the problem seems to be intermittent.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-15-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #35
rperez
rperez began at the beginning.

Just opened a Hotmail account, and the news feeds were delivered to my K3. No errors.
rperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #36
kidblue
Connoisseur

Bummer... From my Hotmail account:

ERROR: Failed to email books: Failed to email the following books:

New York Times

Connection unexpectedly closed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 646, in _send_mails
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/smtp.py", line 104, in sendmail
File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 712, in sendmail
File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 438, in rset
File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 363, in docmd
File "lib/python2.6/smtplib.py", line 340, in getreply
SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed

Same as Gmail:

Bummer... From my Hotmail account:

New York Times

Same error I got w/ Gmail:

New York Times

Last edited by kidblue; 11-16-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #37
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You could get more debug output by running the following from the command line

Code:
calibre-smtp -vv -r smtp.gmail.com --port 587 -u username -p password --attachment filename --subject "test mail" username@gmail.com yourkindleusername@kindle.com "this is a test mail"
Kovid, when I run this from the Win 7 command line I get Error 12: Not enough space. This occurs after the first "go ahead" from the server (i.e. the conversation is underway and I think my PC is trying to start sending the message body and attachment).

Code:
SIZE 35651584
8BITMIME
AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH
ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
send: 'AUTH PLAIN AHJlZGRpbmcubmlja0BnbWFpbC5jb20AY2Fub250bw==\r\n'
reply: '235 2.7.0 Accepted\r\n'
reply: retcode (235); Msg: 2.7.0 Accepted
send: u'mail FROM:<xxx@gmail.com> size=734893\r\n'
reply: '250 2.1.0 OK x18sm1493332wfa.23\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: 2.1.0 OK x18sm1493332wfa.23
send: u'rcpt TO:<xxx@free.kindle.com>\r\n'
reply: '250 2.1.5 OK x18sm1493332wfa.23\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: 2.1.5 OK x18sm1493332wfa.23
send: 'data\r\n'
reply: '354  Go ahead x18sm1493332wfa.23\r\n'
reply: retcode (354); Msg: Go ahead x18sm1493332wfa.23
data: (354, 'Go ahead x18sm1493332wfa.23')
send: Python function terminated unexpectedly
  (12, 'Not enough space') (Error Code: 1)
  File "site.py", line 103, in main
  File "site.py", line 85, in run_entry_point
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 224, in main
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 104, in sendmail
  File "smtplib.py", line 710, in sendmail
  File "smtplib.py", line 478, in data
  File "smtplib.py", line 302, in send
IOError: [Errno 12] Not enough space
Any ideas? It happens in Administrator mode as well, and I have lots of RAM and disk available.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Stick

2> log.txt

after the command (the not enough space refers to the console running out of space)

This will redirect the output to log.txt

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 11-16-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #39
tjk
tjk began at the beginning.

Using Hotmail for my automated download and send this morning for 16 feeds went off without a hitch. WSJ was 6.5mb, NYT was 2.3mb.

kidblue, how large was your NYT feed? I doubt this would have any impact on this problem but I have calibre set up to convert feeds to mobi format with the "page setup" designed for Kindle.
tjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #40
rperez

kidblue, in your hotmail account, did you add your kindle email address as a contact in hotmail? I had to do that, otherwise I got a different error saying I needed to log in to my account first to send mail. Also, there is a section in the hotmail account management to attach your cell phone number to your hotmail email address. Apparently this helps authenticate your account and allows you to send/receive more email.

Once I did both of the above last night, my 20+ news feeds came through.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #41
Rod Laird
Rod Laird began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hmm.. I have started having the same problem with gmail. I could use my ISP but it does not support SSL...

A query to Kovid - is there any way to set up mail without PW encryption?

cheers and thanks in advance

Rod
Rod Laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

no i'm afraid not. You have to use either ssl or tls
Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 AM   #43
rperez

Second night using Calibre with my new hotmail account. Unfortunately, I'm getting the same "Failed to email books" errors. But this time, the errors were for most of my news feeds. I then logged in to my hotmail account, which displayed the following message:

"Your account has been temporarily blocked. Someone may have used your account to send out a lot of junk messages or done something else that violates the Windows Live Code of Conduct."

To unblock it, I had to have hotmail send a code to my cell phone, which I then used to unblock the account.

So, it appears that both gmail and hotmail are actively preventing these emails from being sent, because they "appear" to be from spammers. Other than attach my device to the computer and let Calibre directly move the file to it, not sure what other hotmail/gmail setting to change.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You should contact hotmail/gmail help and tell them to stop blocking the use of SMTP with your account.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #45
jstevens75
jstevens75 began at the beginning.

I am having the same problem

1. USA Today-goes to kindle no problem and is close to 1 meg

2. LA Times-is about 2-2.2 megs and wont auto send to kindle

Now the catch that I have not seen anyone else say is that I CAN MANUALLY email the Kindle the LA Times without any problem through Calibre.

Does anyone have any ideas? This does sound like it could be a problem with Calibre.

Thanks!
jstevens75 is offline   Reply With Quote