Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Thumbs up Sony Connect bookstore to reach 100,000 titles

According to a report on Ars Technica, Sony's vice president of digital reading, Steve Haber, stated that:

Quote:
Sony plans to have 100,000 titles available by the holidays (although that's still just about half the Kindle's content) and its trained sales teams should be in the stores by then.
If true, that will be a significant jump in available content.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Definitely a step in the right direction. I wonder if some or most of that content will be in epub format or if Sony will continue to push their proprietary format.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
No epub, please! It's not a replacement for a nicely formatted Sony formatted ebook.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Now THIS is a great announcement! I was lukewarm about the new reader. For me it's all about the content!
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Well, they do now have 103 A. Clarke short stories, so the number is increasing....

Amazon uses similar number inflaters -- both push titles, not "books" available.

And although it is all about the content, to me it's more the "affordable content". I'd hate to be locked into Sony's store and prices.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #6
Seabound
Steerage Class
Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Seabound ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Won't fit here anymore, see sig for a list of liseuses.
Yeah, this would be great. And if they could drop prices some more, that would be excellent. How many titles does the Sony ebook store currently have?
Seabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
a positive step by Sony
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:33 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
When they say "holidays", do they mean Christmas?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I assume so. In our multicultural new world, it seems like Christmas has become something of a non PC word. Don't ask me why.

Last edited by Dave Berk; 10-05-2008 at 06:44 AM.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That sort of thing really bugs me. I'm not a Christian, but I acknowledge that what's being celebrated at that time of year is Christmas . (Although the early Christian church, of course, simply "took over" the Roman winter solstice festival of Saturnalia.)
Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Holidays means Hanukkah, Quanzah (sp?), Christmas, and any other holidays I may have missed. Just saying Christmas is not correct as December has more then Just Christmas as a holiday.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:22 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

With respect, Jon, that's very much a case of altering the "facts" retrospectively . You know better than I do that the Jewish festival of Hannukah is a very minor festival indeed and one that one does not take "time off" for - ie it's not a "holiday". The fact that it occurs at a similar time to the Christian festival of Christmas is a pure coincidence.

As for "Kwanza" - that's a purely "invented" holiday which nobody outside the USA has ever heard of .
Old 10-05-2008, 08:32 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hate to say this, but Hanukkah is not a minor holiday. The reason we don't get time off is because it takes place at night after sunset. So we don't actually need the day off. And if we were to take the day off, we'd take 8 days off. Christmas is an all day type holiday. That doesn't make it any more major. But remember, just because it isn't celebrated as much by the big department stores does make Christmas any more real.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm not saying that Christmas is any more or less "real" than any other holiday. Just that the fact that one gets a day off on 25th December is because of Christmas, and that to pretend otherwise is just "political correctness" at its worst (IMHO).

The reason I consider Hannukah to be a minor festival is that unlike, for example, the celebrations for Passover or the Jewish new year, Jews are permitted to work as normal during Hannukah - it has no special "rules" associated with it. It's only in the US that it's taken on extra "significance" purely because of its entirely coincidental proximity to Christmas.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
julia103
Connoisseur
julia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litterjulia103 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Getting off-topic but chiming in anyhow as this is one of my pet peeves. Every year I have to use vacation days because I won't work on Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur. Those are the two most important Jewish holidays. Even though I am not very observant, I can't imagine going to work on those days. The Christians that I work with don't have to use vacation time for their two most important holidays (Christmas and Easter) because our company is closed on those days. I sometimes take time off for Passover, but that's usually to travel to a family Seder in another city, not because I won't work during that holiday. Hanukkah is a minor holiday - it doesn't occur to me to take time off.

On the other hand, Hanukkah is traditionally a gift-giving holiday and has become even more so due to its proximity to Christmas, so Sony is correct: "The holidays" = "the season when people spend money on gifts (whether or not they celebrate Christmas)".

Hmm... maybe I'll ask for a PRS700 for Hanukkah this year. Or (getting back on topic) a gift card to the "expanded" Sony Connect Bookstore
julia103 is offline   Reply With Quote