Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #16
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You don't need to paste. Just right click on a file name in the book browser and choose open with and select your favorite work processor, text editor whatever you want.

Your choice for open with will stick until you change it to something else. I use it to right click on illustrations and open them in lview to resize them or grayscale them. But I have also used it to open an notepad ++ to use some special functions it has.

One warning with this...if you save in that application, it will be saved back to Sigil, so if that might happen your copy and paste method might be safer.

You are aware, I assume that all epubs are zip files. If you have got everything pretty much into shape, you can use an unzip program and extract the html file you are interested in and open it directly with your word processor.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
Frank's
Frank's began at the beginning.

Device: PC WIN 7 64x
Thanks for the inside and the advice regarding to use word and notepad!!

I know that you must have many other more important ideas you would like to see in Sigil. I'm not a programmer, it's just that I can imagine that this would make Sigil to the only epub editor thats just perfect also for students, or for plenty of professions to prepare for example a speach or discourse and be able to print it out. Is just a little buttom
Frank's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's View Post
Ya, that will be the solution for me in the moment. I will prepare everything in Sigil and then just mark and copy the text I need and then paste it into word to keep working and hightlight text there. The printing then later on out of word isn't a problem, so that should do it.
I'm still unclear just what you're doing? If you're going to end up printing from Word, how is going into Sigil first helping you? Why not do it all in Word?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
I'm still unclear just what you're doing? If you're going to end up printing from Word, how is going into Sigil first helping you? Why not do it all in Word?
because his start point is an ebook, which he is reading on PC, not on an e-reader I guess - he wants to highlight passages & maybe also extract them ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #20
Frank's

If I just copy everyhing and paste it into word 1. the link's don't work anymore (and there are plenty in the text) and 2. all pictures are gone.
The pictures I can live with, because I can add what I need, but if you want to study the material, you need the link's working, to be able to look up the references and quotes.
But what I could do is, to have Sigil and Word open next to each other.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #21
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

HTML isn't set up for what you want to do. It can't highlight spots of the background easily. And Sigil's base is HTML. The book view is just a convenience so you can see if you got the effect you want to in the code.

What Sigil can do for you is color your text, which would accomplish the same purpose.

If you can work in code view, you can create a clip which is like this:
<SPAN style="color:yellow;">\1</SPAN> and color as much text as you like.

But it will print out in color unless you tell your printer not to.

If you willing to go Apple there is a reader app which has highlighting. I don't know how well it works. Some readers apparently have this function.

Last edited by mrmikel; 12-21-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I just copy everyhing and paste it into word 1. the link's don't work anymore (and there are plenty in the text) and 2. all pictures are gone.
The pictures I can live with, because I can add what I need, but if you want to study the material, you need the link's working, to be able to look up the references and quotes.
But what I could do is, to have Sigil and Word open next to each other.
What, exactly, is your source material?
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #23
Frank's

Ya thats the thing, working in code view it's to slow for me and I'm not used to work in code view too.

My source of material is:
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/
Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 AM   #24
Frank's

Ya thats the thing, working in code view it's to slow for me and I'm not used to work in code view too.

My source of material is:
www.jw.org/en/publications/
Old 12-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #25
Frank's

My source of material you can find on:
jw.org/en/publications/
Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #26
mrmikel
Color me gone

A lot of your material is available as PDF. Maybe the answer for you is buy a PDF editor and work in PDF, which has highlighting. Some are available for around $50. It would handle the links and so on too.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #27
Frank's

P.S.

Sigil is by far the best "epub reader" I know. When I compare for example Adobe Digital Editions with it, Sigil is the only one able of copy and paste material (except links and pictures) into a word document in a correct way.

The funny thing is, calibre is also an awesome programm too, but guess what.... it can't hightlight any text neither; don't ask me why

So anyway, I'm happy for the great work there has been done with Sigil !!!
Thanks
Old 12-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
Frank's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
A lot of your material is available as PDF. Maybe the answer for you is buy a PDF editor and work in PDF, which has highlighting. Some are available for around $50. It would handle the links and so on too.
Thanks for the advice, but as far I see, there are no links in the normal PDF material provided, only in the epub's.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Sigil is by far the best "epub reader" I know.
As long as you understand that's not really one of its goals... have at it, I guess!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #30
Frank's

yeep... thats how it will be I guess
But just to think, that it is in the hands of the developer to make 10.000 or 100.000 more users happy only to add two more buttoms, 1. hightlighting text 2. adding a note box to a certain word or sentence.... hmmmm, wouldn't it be worth?