Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #61
spedinfargo
Groupie
spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.spedinfargo is the king of the Divan.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Not sure if you can do that without root. The folks at the xda thread might be able to help you there. Have you ever used the Tasker app? That could help. Especially Tasker and Xposed (with root). Then you can remap the buttons for short or long press, or whatever. I worked with those once on my Boyue T63. I haven't yet dug out the instructions I followed then. They wouldn't all pertain to our Nook, but they'd be close enough to help you see how you might do it. Now it's finding those instructions...

Aha! If you are rooted, check this out. These instructions were designed to remap the page turn buttons on the Boyue T63 to function with Logos/Verbum Bible study software. You will need to adapt the instructions to apply to the Nook and what you want to do with the buttons, but this will get you in a position where you have access to those options. You could remap any button this way.
Awesome tips - I'll give this a shot and see what I can figure out.
spedinfargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #62
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
Awesome tips - I'll give this a shot and see what I can figure out.
Glad you liked the tips! Good luck!

- "Dammit, Jim, I'm a bookseller, not an Amazon!" - Dr. "Barnes" McNoble, Star Wreck, The Next Degradation
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #63
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
no covers yet. the store told me they will be stocked by black friday i believe
Some covers have showed up on the BN site. Only one (red) is available now but they show available dates (all in the next few weeks) for the others; no info on store availability though.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #64
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
Some covers have showed up on the BN site. Only one (red) is available now but they show available dates (all in the next few weeks) for the others; no info on store availability though.
Nice to see they are reasonably priced for a change
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #65
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
First Impressions of Nook Glowlight 3

I am new to ereaders. The Nook Glowlight 3 is my first. I have used a reader app. on my phone and found the ability to change (soften) the background color to be very desireable. I was considering the Kindle Paperwhite or the Kobo H2O, when the GL3 was announced. I went with the GL3 because I really wanted the color changing screen... and my wife already has an investment in Nook's.

I am quite happy with the GL3. The screen is very clear and easy to read. I absolutely love the color changing screen. My wife lays next to me at night, reading her GL+, and I can hardly stand to look over at that blue-white screen. The finish on the case of the GL3 makes it easy to hold. Frankly, I am not finding the page-turn buttons to be particularly useful or desireable. I can't seem to find a way to hold it with one hand, that also allows me to easily change the page using the buttons. If I have to use 2 hands anyway, I find that just touching the screen is much easier.
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #66
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
@dmevis

Have you tried switching the forward and back buttons so forward is the lower button? That position works better for me. Of course, I still sometimes just tap the screen. It's nice to have both options.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 PM   #67
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
This is an ugly beast, but definitely a reading machine. SO COMFY to hold, and the buttons are placed just right. After inserting Bookerly into some sideloaded content and shoving it on here, I'm very happy with my purchase.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #68
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
This is an ugly beast, but definitely a reading machine. SO COMFY to hold, and the buttons are placed just right. After inserting Bookerly into some sideloaded content and shoving it on here, I'm very happy with my purchase.
How do you go about getting the Bookerly (or Literata) font onto the NOOK?
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:16 AM   #69
AkiraReader
Connoisseur
AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkiraReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox, Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
Load the font into Windows/Mac, then convert book with Calibre. Conversion screen has a font tab where you can specify that one you want to embed. Then let Calibre copy the book onto your reader.
AkiraReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:45 AM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkiraReader View Post
Load the font into Windows/Mac, then convert book with Calibre. Conversion screen has a font tab where you can specify that one you want to embed. Then let Calibre copy the book onto your reader.
Doing this is going to make the new unpartitioned software even more desirable as embedding Bookerly is going to add about 1.6MB to each book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #71
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Does anyone know the weight? Googled for last 30 mins and nowhere mentions what it weights!
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #72
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Does anyone know the weight? Googled for last 30 mins and nowhere mentions what it weights!
7.0oz (196g) It is in the comparison page on the web site.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:38 AM   #73
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Nook Comparison on bn.com
Anthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #74
rkjnsn
rkjnsn began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedinfargo View Post
The only thing that I haven't figured out (and didn't figure out in previous devices either) is how to have different ways to get into the two different launchers.
I actually set up something like this on an old phone. There was an app I had installed (I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but I can search for it if you can't find it) that could be set as the launcher. When you pressed home, it would wait a short amount of time for you to press another button, each of which could be assigned to a different app. It also had a default action for it you didn't press another button within a short timeout. Thus, it should be possible to have a single tap of the 'n' bring you to the Nook home screen, and a double tap bring up a custom launcher. While I recall the specific app in question only supporting the default Android buttons, a custom version could probably do things like have 'n' followed by a page turn button launch a specific app. All without root.
rkjnsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #75
billsfan2
Enthusiast
billsfan2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Tablet, Nook HD+, Kindle PW 2015, Glowlight 3
Am I the only one who has trouble ignoring the shadows cast by the led lights at the top of the screen?? I'm hoping I'll get used to them. My Kindle Paperwhite 2015 has less lights but not as noticeable.

Last edited by billsfan2; 12-22-2017 at 01:28 PM.
billsfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote