Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Random Screensaver Image

AutoShelfFlashCardHyphenDictsMagicMemoryMiniClockNickelIconsScreenSaverUsbDebugWebPortal(GitHub)

--- ScreenSaver ---

This mod displays a random "screensaver" PNG image on sleep/poweroff.

Please note this is a built-in feature since Firmware 4.13 according to @davidfor
---> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3868795 <---

=== Installation steps: ===
  1. Disable "Show current read" in Kobo's privacy/power settings.
    (mod requires blank Sleeping / Poweroff screens)
  2. copy KoboRoot-ScreenSaver*.tgz » .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
  3. eject/umount device, disconnect the USB cable
    (mod does not work while charging)

--- KoboRoot.tgz will automatically install & reboot ---
  4. let the device go to sleep (by either setting timeout, or pressing power button)
    (mod should display an automatically detected scanline for standby)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scanline-autodetect-standby.jpg
Views:	7343
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	151716
  5. let the device power off (by either setting timeout, or holding power button)
    (mod should display an automatically detected scanline for poweroff)

Name:	scanline-autodetect-poweroff.jpg
Views:	7260
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	151717

--- ScreenSaver should now be fully operational ---
    [Some people reported they had to repeat steps 4 & 5 to make it work.]
  6. Put your images in .addons/screensaver/{standby,poweroff} folders.

=== Configuration: ===

There is a configuration file in .addons/screensaver/screensaver.cfg
Don't edit it with MS Notepad - use Notepad++ or any proper editor instead.

It contains automatically detected scanline offset/pattern which is used to verify that the device is showing the Sleeping / Poweroff screen to be replaced with screensaver images.

Example for autodetected values of my H2O:
Spoiler:
Code:
#
# Standby scanline autodetected [1] Sun Sep 18 12:54:13 CEST 2016
#   If this value does not work, remove it so it will be re-detected.
#
standby=1288:ffff*31a60000*7bcfffff*ffdf*ffff*0000*c638ffff*f79e39e70000*8430ffff*21040000*b5b6ffff*f79e39e70000*8430ffff*21040000*b5b6ffff*d69a000039e7528a18e30000*2965c6180861000018e35acb52aa29450000*ad55ffff*b596086139e74a4918c30000*2124ffff*d6ba08414208528a21040000*31a6ffffad750000*212408410000*630cffff*630c0000*2965bdf7ffff*84300000*18c3ffff*

#
# Poweroff scanline autodetected [1] Sun Sep 18 12:56:30 CEST 2016
#   If this value does not work, remove it so it will be re-detected.
#
poweroff=1288:0000*b596ffff*4a490000*2945ffff*39e70000*18e3ce59ffff*632c0000*52aaffff*21240000*a514e73cbdd7c618ffff*5aeb0000*6b4dffff*0000*18e3ffff*4a490000*0861c618ffff*7bcf0000*defbffff*4a490000*2945f7bebdf7ad75defbffff*ce7900005acbffff*d69a7befffff*6b4d0000*0861c618ffff*7bcf0000*defbffff*4a490000*b596ffff*b5b629650000*0020a514ffff*f7be0000*18e3ce59ffff*632c0000*52aaffff*21240000*6b6dffff*6b6dffff*0000*
The value represents offset:pattern, the pattern is a single line of pixels at the given offset.

0000* is one or more black pixels, ffff* is one or more white pixels, other values are things in between. standby patterns usually start/end with ffff* (white background), poweroff with 0000* (black background).

These values might be misdetected or stop working after firmware update or when changing to a different language. You have to remove previously detected values in order to re-detect new ones.

To uninstall this mod, set uninstall=1 in this configuration file.

=== Images: ===

You can put your images in the .addons/screensaver/{standby,poweroff} folders. The images must be in PNG format.

Supports up to about 1000 files, depending on filename length. (shorter is better). Image dimensions and offsets depends on your device, please adapt accordingly. Small filesizes are better - reduce color to grayscale (16 colors) or black/white.

Old (pre 4.x) version text:
Spoiler:
This mod displays a random PNG image on sleep/poweroff. You can put your images in a hidden .addons/screensaver folder. Sample images included.

The image must be in PNG format, no spaces in the filename, extension .png (lower case). Not too many files in total (at most 1000 or so, maybe more if the file names are very short!).

Please report whether the mod works for you, (and on which device,) thanks!

To install, KoboRoot-ScreenSaver.tgz » .kobo/KoboRoot.tgz

There have been several changes:
  • Instead of /.ScreenSaver/ the folder is now in .addons/screensaver/
    I will be moving all of my mods to .addons/ in the near future so there are not twenty things in the main directory.
  • There is a configuration file in .addons/screensaver/screensaver.cfg
    Use a proper editor to edit it, not MS Notepad!
    Note: the configuration file will be created a few seconds after the device boots up and starts nickel. If you connect to PC instantly it may not be there yet and you have to reboot the Kobo and give it a few seconds - I'll fix this issue in a future version)
  • Two modes of operation: logread (the method used so far), scanline (a new method that requires setup but supports different image sets for sleep and poweroff)
  • Uninstall is now by setting uninstall=1 in the config file.

It appears the log messages the mod was using for logread mode no longer exist in 3.18.0 and there are no others to replace them, either. So you're now forced to use scanline mode ...

How to use Scanline mode: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...35#post3165835
Spoiler:

----

The mod no longer works with 4.x firmware (Kobo Aura One - September 2016).

I attached an experimental version for 4.x firmware below. I do not have an Kobo Aura One so I can not test it myself. It works on my H2O running 4.x firmware.

This version uses a new method (inotify affiliate.conf) to detect standby/poweroff. It no longer supports previous logread/scanline modes so there is nothing to configure anymore (except when you want to uninstall the mod).

The inotify might also work for older firmwares - I have not tested.

Please note for the 4.x version the images moved into subfolders .addons/screensaver/standby/ and .addons/screensaver/poweroff/

---
The mod no longer works for 4.2.8283 (Kobo Aura One January 2017) Firmware.

Experimental version for 4.2.+ here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...04#post3463704
---

Latest experiment version here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...00#post3766000
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	standby.jpg
Views:	7582
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	141785   Click image for larger version

Name:	shutdown.jpg
Views:	7429
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	141786   Click image for larger version

Name:	standby-image.jpg
Views:	8184
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	151718   Click image for larger version

Name:	poweroff-image.jpg
Views:	7507
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	151719  
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboRoot-ScreenSaver-20150908.zip (235.5 KB, 8216 views)
File Type: zip KoboRoot-ScreenSaver-4.x-20160918.zip (74.5 KB, 7392 views)
File Type: zip KoboRoot-ScreenSaver-20181216.zip (287.4 KB, 1554 views)
File Type: zip KoboRoot-ScreenSaver-20200719.zip (393.2 KB, 828 views)

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-19-2020 at 04:45 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:28 PM   #2
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Is that one for nickel?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Just for information. The screensaver packages you can find here contain an executable that display png-s.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boriar View Post
Is that one for nickel?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Just for information. The screensaver packages you can find here contain an executable that display png-s.
Oh, I thought this was specifically for the Glo only. If there's another mod that does this, all the better. Mine is a simple hack.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #5
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Oh, I thought this was specifically for the Glo only. If there's another mod that does this, all the better. Mine is a simple hack.
I did not want to weight your screensaver against the other (I think yours has the advantage of not using preload, and therefore not modifying rcS). Just wanted to let you know about the png2raw.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #6
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Quote:
Yes

I thought the same and use only the pngs. So it's safe to use the Glo version on H2O?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:55 PM   #7
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
(I think yours has the advantage of not using preload, and therefore not modifying rcS).
nickel is nice enough to shout to syslog in time before the device is actually off. So my script fights with nickel as to who gets to display their image first, usually I lose so my picture ends up showing...

No distinction between sleep/poweroff though. It could be done, but meh.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Great hack. Works perfectly.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:18 AM   #9
dillsandwitch
Enthusiast
dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.dillsandwitch can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura H20
Total noob question here but can someone please give me a step by step of where to put this to make it work? I have just bought my kobo today and am used to playing with a sony. TIA
dillsandwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #10
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, kobo auraHD, kobo auraH2O, kobo Glo HD, kobo aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsandwitch View Post
Total noob question here but can someone please give me a step by step of where to put this to make it work? I have just bought my kobo today and am used to playing with a sony. TIA
-Download KoboRoot-AutoShelf-beta3.zip

-Extract the file and rename it to KoboRoot.tgz.

-Connect the reader to the PC and copy the KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder. Safely disconnect and reboot.
surquizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
surquizu
Evangelist
surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.surquizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
This mod displays a random PNG image on sleep/poweroff. You can put your images in a hidden .ScreenSaver folder. Three sample images included.

The image must be in PNG format, resolution 1080x1440, no spaces in the filename, extension .png (lower case). Not too many files in total (at most 1000 or so).

Edit: Updated... images were flipped in the x-axis...

Apparently the screensaver works fine on my aura HD, but when I return to the option of displaying the title page of the book as a screensaver does not work and the covers of the books are not visible. Main page of the Home screen is also not updated with the last book read.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by surquizu View Post
Apparently the screensaver works fine on my aura HD
Right now it's very H2O-specific, I'm not yet sure about the raw format for the others. (and no way of testing them due to lack of device)

Quote:
the option of displaying the title page of the book as a screensaver does not work
Yes, it's kind of exclusive, it won't work with the book cover as screensaver.

*) actually the log entry for the cover sleepscreen is different so my hack does not register it at all. I think I actually like this behaviour as it still leaves you with a choice. This way, only the empty sleep/power off page is replaced with a random image.

Quote:
Main page of the Home screen is also not updated with the last book read.
That's odd... the mod isn't involved here at all. It just pushes an image to the display independently of all other processes.

Last edited by frostschutz; 02-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
surquizu
Evangelist

Quote:

That's odd... the mod isn't involved here at all. It just pushes an image to the display independently of all other processes.
Yes, it's odd. I removed the patch and it works fine again.

Also with the patch installed the png images of the screenshots corrupts and its not visible in the PC. Once uninstalled, I see well the images again.

Thanks for your effort
Old 02-01-2015, 05:57 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Also with the patch installed the png images of the screenshots corrupts and its not visible in the PC.
You can't take a screenshot of the sleep image. That's because it uses a different mode for display (a different rotation) and whatever is taking the screenshot does not expect it.

However as long as the device is awake, the screenshot feature works well for me. Before sleep and after sleep, just not during (right as it goes to sleep).

To fix that I'd have to stop using pickel for image displays; and instead talk to the framebuffer device directly. It's a possibility, but not a priority by any means, after all, if you wanted a screenshot of a sleep image, you could just grab the image itself...
Old 02-02-2015, 11:16 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, fbgrab can be used to take a snapshot at pretty much any time you want [... from a shell ^^].
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote