Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
98otiss03
98otiss03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3 (KT3)
Need help with Jailbreak

I have a Kindle Touch 3 (G000K9) on firmware 5.10.3 will I be able to jailbreak right on this firmware? or will I have to downgrade? or is it not possible?
98otiss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:25 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nope, not without opening it up.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
maximus83
Nameless Being

OP, just curious, when you scan threads about jailbreaking like this one and the hassles of maintaining your jailbreak on a Kindle, what are your main reasons for wanting to jailbreak?

I looked at this issue earlier, and though I jailbreak some of my devices, with Kindle it didn't seem worth it. I like KOReader app for instance, and run it on my Kobo, but with my Kindle PW4, I'm able to do everything I want to do (like install custom fonts, or send articles from Pocket) without needing to jailbreak. And the built-in software is pretty decent.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@maximus83: That's basically a one-time hassle, which is why the usual recommendation is usually "do it, just in case you might need it later" (given the fact that if people are looking into it to begin with, it's because they have a vested interest in maybe needing it at one point in time, even if it's not right now).
Old 03-24-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@maximus83: That's basically a one-time hassle, which is why the usual recommendation is usually "do it, just in case you might need it later"
True, and understood. In general I'd agree with that approach. I'm just not convinced it's worth it with Kindle; especially when you look at the one-time hassle of opening your device--which was not designed to be opened. I realize there are a good number here though who still like to do it.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
"Need help with Jailbreak." Be aware, Homeland Security has been notified and you can expect the SWAT team to arrive at your home around dawn.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
OP, just curious, when you scan threads about jailbreaking like this one and the hassles of maintaining your jailbreak on a Kindle, what are your main reasons for wanting to jailbreak?
If you don't update, there is no maintenance hassle.

However, there are many posts in many threads from people that have updated to unbreakable versions that now want to update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@maximus83: That's basically a one-time hassle, which is why the usual recommendation is usually "do it, just in case you might need it later" (given the fact that if people are looking into it to begin with, it's because they have a vested interest in maybe needing it at one point in time, even if it's not right now).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
True, and understood. In general I'd agree with that approach. I'm just not convinced it's worth it with Kindle; especially when you look at the one-time hassle of opening your device--which was not designed to be opened. I realize there are a good number here though who still like to do it.
If you take the opportunity to JB when a S/W break is possible, there is no need to open the device. I think that is worth it even when there is no apparent present need, especially since the ability to S/W JB can, and likely will, go away.

I may be slightly biased since I believe any linux device that I own that I can not login to is broken.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
98otiss03
98otiss03 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3 (KT3)
my only reasons for jailbreaking are just custom wallpapers, i dont see much point. if there are other packages that catch my eye i would install them.
any chance of a jailbreak for later firmwares or is the scene dead?
i did look at different pages on kindle jailbreaking and they all gave different advice so i thought i would ask here instead of having an bricked kindle.
98otiss03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:37 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yeah, I was indeed mainly thinking of the SW approach, so, make that "do it, if you can, just in case you might need it later" .
Old 03-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
"Need help with Jailbreak." Be aware, Homeland Security has been notified and you can expect the SWAT team to arrive at your home around dawn.
But only if you're republican or conservative.